TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Music and an Empty Car

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Todd Burch, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Searched for an existing thread for this, but didn't find one.

Looking through the Model S Owner's Guide, I see this:

It also says this:

I can envision many scenarios (working in the garage, waiting in the parking lot while my wife picks something up from the store, cleaning the inside of the car, parked at a barbecue, etc. where I want the sound system to continue playing music even though nobody is in the driver's seat (or in the car). Or when the car has been in park for 15 minutes.

Can anyone (perhaps one of our sigs who have received their cars) confirm that music will continue to play from the sound system even when the car is empty or parked longer than 15 minutes? I have to think Tesla's thought of this but this writing seems contradictory.

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Well, for the 15 minutes thing, it does say you can tap the screen to wake it up again. All of our Audis also shut down after a while. It sucks #1 when I'm sitting in the car in Aux mode just listening to music and #2 when at the drive in (where the audio is played over the speakers). We have to start the car every 15 minutes, which of course turns the lights back on and annoys the people in front of us as well.

3. olanmills

olanmills Member

Can't you just keep the fob inside the car?

4. Todd Burch

Not if the weight sensor in the driver's seat detects that you're not sitting there and powers it off. This is why I'm asking...I just don't know.

5. Adm

Adm Active Member

Just keep a big bag of potatoes in the frunk so you can put that in the driver's seat to keep the music going!:tongue:

6. Todd Burch

According to the Owner's guide, it seems that unwieldy approach would work for 15 minutes :).

7. dmetcalf

dmetcalf S258

I just tested this today and found that I did not have the power go off during the 40 min I sat in the car with A/C and music on. I was using nav and web so maybe that counted as touching the screen to keep it activated, but no indicataion at 15 min... So if you are stopped to charge, you can still be in the car with A/C, etc running. PS, the A/C running at 72 and 7/8 on fan speed with recirc stayed very cool in 92 Deg Orlando and only caused the loss of 1 mi or range every 18-20 min.