Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music and an Empty Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Searched for an existing thread for this, but didn't find one.

Looking through the Model S Owner's Guide, I see this:

Model S Owner's Guide p. 3 said:
When you sit in the driver’s seat, Model S powers on the instrument panel and touchscreen.

It also says this:

Model S Owner's Guide p. 3 said:
When you open the door and get out of the driver’s seat, Model S powers off, turning off the touchscreen and instrument panel. Model S also powers off automatically after being in Park for 15 minutes, even if you’re sitting in the driver’s seat.

I can envision many scenarios (working in the garage, waiting in the parking lot while my wife picks something up from the store, cleaning the inside of the car, parked at a barbecue, etc. where I want the sound system to continue playing music even though nobody is in the driver's seat (or in the car). Or when the car has been in park for 15 minutes.

Can anyone (perhaps one of our sigs who have received their cars) confirm that music will continue to play from the sound system even when the car is empty or parked longer than 15 minutes? I have to think Tesla's thought of this but this writing seems contradictory.

Well, for the 15 minutes thing, it does say you can tap the screen to wake it up again. All of our Audis also shut down after a while. It sucks #1 when I'm sitting in the car in Aux mode just listening to music and #2 when at the drive in (where the audio is played over the speakers). We have to start the car every 15 minutes, which of course turns the lights back on and annoys the people in front of us as well.

I just tested this today and found that I did not have the power go off during the 40 min I sat in the car with A/C and music on. I was using nav and web so maybe that counted as touching the screen to keep it activated, but no indicataion at 15 min... So if you are stopped to charge, you can still be in the car with A/C, etc running. PS, the A/C running at 72 and 7/8 on fan speed with recirc stayed very cool in 92 Deg Orlando and only caused the loss of 1 mi or range every 18-20 min.