Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music and Cam files on same USB storage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. I have mine setup that way as well. I have a 500GB T5 SSD. 64GB is partitioned for Music and rest is partitioned for TeslaCam.
While I dont have my MY yet, I did test it in my son's M3 and was able to listen (read) to music and record (write) sentry/dashcam at the same time. Worked just fine.

Reactions: frankvb
So...conflicting answers above. Is partioning required if you want to have music files on board as well? Anyone know definitively? Thanks in advance.

You used to have to partition .. it might be that Tesla have relaxed that restriction recently, so go ahead and try without. I prefer to partition anyway as it helps make sure I always have enough space for dashcam regardless of that I do with the music partition.

I purchased a usb stick and sd card from puretesla.com, a big part of their pitch is that the cards appropriate for the read/write volume and that they come preformatted for the cars. The sad card I received indeed had the two folders teslamusic and teslacam and was not partitioned. This said I ended up using an ssd to be sure and I did portion that.

Hope that helps.

I have a SanDisk 500GB SSD drive I used in my M3. It has two partitions, one with "TESLACAM" on it and the other with "MUSIC". I checked it on my iMAC and all files work but when I plug it into my MY is doesn't seem to recognize it - any ideas? Seems I'm missing something... ;(

Edit: Disregard, cable issue, now resolved...

Last edited:
With just Samsung T7 500GB SSD (1 partition) and USB stick (Sandisk Ultra Fit 64GB) inserted--both as exFAT--my mY (2020.36.11) via a Anker USB 3.0 Hub showed 5 USB devices with the bottom one cutoff in the display with no way to scroll, regardless of insertion order. Removing the SSD would allow me to play music, but reinserting SSD caused same issue.

Lo and behold, reboot (hold down both thumb wheel buttons for 20s) fixed the issue. Now only 2 USB devices show, with the option to "change" the USB device, rather than having a vertical list. Also, it recognized music stored in SSD under "_Music" (with underscore), so naming requirement is apparently more lenient as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: CO_MY