TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Music at startup (USB)

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by DaveHarper, Aug 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DaveHarper

DaveHarper Member

I've only had my Model 3 for a couple of weeks now and I'm still trying to get it configured. One problem I'm having that I can't seem to find mentioned in the manual is how to configure the media player to startup and continue playing where it left off. Right now, every time I get in the car, the media player is off and I have to go through a number of screens to get back to my playlist and start things up. I've searched around the forums and see a number of issues regarding the Media Player but didn't find anything about an "always on" option.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Megapsychotron

Up, it's annoying. It doesn't support that right now

3. sduck

sduck Member

The USB audio system is seriously borked in its current manifestation. No, there's no way to get it to remember where it was and restart there, unless your lucky. My experience is that it works maybe once in every 5 starts. And that's just one of the many issues with it. Hopefully they'll completely redo it in one of their updates. Send feedback on this via the Ask A Question form in your account page.

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

No matter my audio source, neither car remembers it when I return. It’s maddening.

5. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

I've never been able to get mine perfect. Even a 12 yr old gave up. Good luck.

6. DaveHarper

DaveHarper Member

Thanks for the replies. I had really hoped that I had simply missed something obvious. It seems to me that when the car (any car) starts up, it should be exactly the same as when it was shut down for that particular driver profile. When it comes to the amenities that make the driving experience worthwhile, I hate to say it, but my 12 year old Prius runs circles around my brand new Model 3. If Tesla doesn't have the time or resources to address something like this, why not open source it? I suspect (at this point) the average Tesla owner probably has some level of technical expertise and could provide valuable contributions (I myself am a retired EE with a fair amount of software experience). Obviously, there are some areas, such as auto pilot, that Tesla would want to retain full control over but other things, such as the Media Player, Tesla could reduce their effort simply by acting as coordinator rather than developer. My two cents.

7. FighterSquadron

Well, aren't I lucky! I took delivery 2 weeks ago and I've never had a problem with my music starting up from when I got out and then later when I get back in. That includes what's streaming on my phone (Spotify) or any other source. AND...I never configured anything...which leads me to believe maybe you need to reboot your system. It works for me so it should work for any M3. Good luck!

8. DaveHarper

DaveHarper Member

Seriously!? Maybe there's hope yet. I'll keep plugging away on it and thanks for the input.

Ft. Lauderdale, huh? I grew up there (many, many years ago) in north Lauderdale, just south of Wilton Manors.

9. FighterSquadron

It has changed. Very urban...but that's cool. FLL is no longer a little beach town. We live just off Las Olas near the beach. Yeah, don't give up on the audio. I forget what happened but something wasn't working and I rebooted the system and voila, it fixed the problem!

10. sduck

sduck Member

Let us know details of your USB flash drive and what kinds of file you're using. And do make sure you've really tested this - no one else has reported this success with USB audio resuming correctly every time. Most of us are getting one out of every 5 times success maybe.

11. gbrgbr

gbrgbr Member

slacker works great for me in general and specifically re resuming where I left off. usb not so much. I like the audio player software far more than many posters on this site and would be completely satisfied if they'd just add shuffle mode for usb.

12. DaveHarper

DaveHarper Member

I had a chance to try a reboot this afternoon (I had not done that previously) and, it worked! Once. I took the M3 out stopping and parking every few minutes, then coming back and starting up again. Each time there was no music when I started the car. However, each time I rebooted (full reboot with the break pedal) and each time the USB music picked up again right where it had left off previously. Funny thing is that I found I can do a full reboot in less time that it would take to go through a number of screens to get back to where I was in the playlist, assuming I could even remember. Pretty lame solution but... it is a solution.