Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music defaults to Spotify without Premium Connectivity...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Drew57

Active ember
Apr 4, 2020
Cheshire UK
I'm looking for advice from people who have not re-subscribed to Premium Connectivity after the trial period ended.

My '12 months' expired on the 3rd April & I had intended to subscribe but not until I'm able to make regular longer journeys. It has since occurred to me that the lack of a satellite map view is hardly an inconvenience, I don't use live traffic & if I'm Supercharging & want Netflix or YouTube I may as well use phone data as a hotspot.

I have a lot of FLAC music on USB & thought that this could become the default whenever the car was used but each time over the past four days I've returned to drive it after an hour or so or overnight, music defaults back to Spotify (which is no longer connected of course unless I use a hotspot). Re loading USB then means that I have to search by artist, album, folder etc & reload without being able to resume from where I left off. Annoying in the extreme & probably because Tesla want to make not subscribing as inconvenient as possible. Trying to deselect media types via settings will not remove Spotify, Radio etc, they remain pale blue & always available.

Is there any way to have USB music as the default & for it to continue playing as per the previous drive?
My current phone plan includes 8gB data - can anyone advise approximately how many hours of streamed Netflix or YouTube this would give?

(I can upgrade to unlimited phone data for a lot less than the £9.99/month Tesla PC would cost).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm looking for advice from people who have not re-subscribed to Premium Connectivity after the trial period ended.

My '12 months' expired on the 3rd April & I had intended to subscribe but not until I'm able to make regular longer journeys. It has since occurred to me that the lack of a satellite map view is hardly an inconvenience, I don't use live traffic & if I'm Supercharging & want Netflix or YouTube I may as well use phone data as a hotspot.

I have a lot of FLAC music on USB & thought that this could become the default whenever the car was used but each time over the past four days I've returned to drive it after an hour or so or overnight, music defaults back to Spotify (which is no longer connected of course unless I use a hotspot). Re loading USB then means that I have to search by artist, album, folder etc & reload without being able to resume from where I left off. Annoying in the extreme & probably because Tesla want to make not subscribing as inconvenient as possible. Trying to deselect media types via settings will not remove Spotify, Radio etc, they remain pale blue & always available.

Is there any way to have USB music as the default & for it to continue playing as per the previous drive?
My current phone plan includes 8gB data - can anyone advise approximately how many hours of streamed Netflix or YouTube this would give?

(I can upgrade to unlimited phone data for a lot less than the £9.99/month Tesla PC would cost).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
...and me, I’m in exactly the same boat. Most of my music is mp3 but some flac. Despite one software update saying otherwise, I’ve never managed to get voice control to search USB or even include it as a search option. The USB is correctly formatted and partitioned too.
if I select USB, everything is there and will play manually.

When it looked like we would lose premium connectivity, one of the positives of not renewing was to lose Spotify. So its ironic that even with no premium connectivity, Spotify would still have got its preferential treatment.

Audio seems to be in a bit of a muddle at present. I think we are probably mid way through transitioning (that started with the audio sources functionality) to a more generic approach to audio sources (possibly as part of V11 and the announcement of Tidal as a source) so that other music services can be easily added. Until now, I always found that Spotify had priority in search results, and, although not having tried for more than a few minutes, it still seems like that now, even with Spotify turned off as a source. Its almost as if Spotify is hard coded to provide search results.

Likewise, I cannot remember a verbal search on a FLAC that could be absolutely proven to have worked and, tbh, I may even have extend that to any search had not so much water flowed under the bridge since I last used USB audio search in anger - I normally just manually navigate to an album and play it out.

USB audio certainly seems to have been forgotten as it stands, album art being another example. I can understand WAV files having reduced functionality available, but FLAC and MP3 are metadata rich so should not suffer, likewise album art for any format if stored at folder level. I do hope that its not due to lack of (compute/memory) resources and that when V11 or whatever comes along with additional audio sources such as Tidal that parity will be restored.

Another irony is that as a Tidal subscriber for home audio, if the announced Tidal implementation works well my preference for FLAC files will be much reduced. tbh, at present, I normally just listen to local radio on DAB/FM.

Reactions: psuKinger
I guess I can use Bluetooth from the phone (where I have Amazon music unlimited) & wait to see what happens as time goes by. This will at least allow albums or playlists to pick up where left off & on occasional longer journeys FLAC can be used.

However I expect sound quality to be nowhere near FLAC or even 320 mp3. I'm not sure if Amazon use 128, 196 or 256 bit & there will be additional losses via Bluetooth so the sound system won't come anywhere its 'Premium' potential.