Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music "lost" on flash drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
I loaded up a bunch of music on a flash drive when I first got the car and it's worked fine. A few days ago, I converted a youtube video to mp3 and added it to the drive in its own folder. Per Windows Explorer, file is present and accounted for, is ~180 Meg (2 hrs of music), plays on my computer from the flash drive, but I can't find it when plugged into the MS. Ideas?

I had this exact same thing happen. I took the USB to my machine ... it was all there. Rebooted the car, re-inserted the drive and it all came back, but I had to endure the Preparing to Load Music bit.

I think it's *probably* all good, but the OS is confused.

I had this exact same thing happen. I took the USB to my machine ... it was all there. Rebooted the car, re-inserted the drive and it all came back, but I had to endure the Preparing to Load Music bit.

I think it's *probably* all good, but the OS is confused.

also useful to try to play from drive on MS via folders. It's really goofy about tags. I have a ton of songs (maybe 10%) that seem to be tagged correctly, and all of my other music players can play, but MS doesn't see them in albums. If I play random songs, they show up. Also there in folder view. I hope to heck either 7.0 or 7.1 replaces the media player.

The Tesla won't see any tracks with umlauts or similar characters. Change the characters to the standard 128 ASCII and it will show. Interesting, the names will display those characters. Kanji, hiragana, and katakana work fine. I don't know what the problem is with the European characters, but it's always been that way.

I should know by now - when something's acting weird, reboot :smile:

It did the trick. I pulled the drive, rebooted, then put it back in and the file was there.
Jerry, at first, I thought you were onto something, as it was Bach, but no umlauts.