Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music on USBs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My flash drive that we’ve been using in our model S for five years quit loading the tunes three s/w updates ago. My Rocklin Service center says there’s nothing wrong. All the tracks show on the app but won’t play. I keep getting “loading error” every time. The drive works on my PC and it also works in our Nisan Leaf. I also tried it in my friend’s model S same “loading error” result. I think Tesla disabled the function fearing copyright infringement issues.

Any thoughts.

Mine works fine. It looks like there have been various tweaks to the indexing of music where folders are no longer in alphabetical order. I'd try another drive or copy music to your hard drive (if it isn't there already) and reformat the drive. Then add the music back. Plug into car USB once car is booted. It should read and index the drive.

I have the UHF system and SW 2019.16.2 73d3f3c. Possibly other head units act differently. I presently use a "sandisk 256gb ultra fit usb 3.1 flash drive" but have used others equally well.

My flash drive that we’ve been using in our model S for five years quit loading the tunes three s/w updates ago. My Rocklin Service center says there’s nothing wrong. All the tracks show on the app but won’t play. I keep getting “loading error” every time. The drive works on my PC and it also works in our Nisan Leaf. I also tried it in my friend’s model S same “loading error” result. I think Tesla disabled the function fearing copyright infringement issues.

Any thoughts.

that would imply some attention to the music player and programming skill on the part of Tesla software engineers in charge of it ;). The truth is the USB music player is buggy and has been for many years and Tesla doesn't seem to care in the least about fixing it nor even simply stating what music formats are officially supported (see: Comprehensive USB Bug List ) Bug seem to come and go for no reason (though, bugs mostly remain)

TL;DR perhaps try making sure all your music files on USB are encoded as MP3 VBR - that seems to mostly get rid of the Loading Errors until recent a software update. Search that USB bug list thread for other discussion on loading errors

• Love
Reactions: neroden
IIRC last year when my car received its first 9.0 update, it couldn't find any music files (FLAC, MP3) on my Samsung Fit Plus 256GB. However my Windows laptop was able to see all the files and play them, so I guess maybe some Tesla specific file/data structure was corrupted by the firmware or the system itself. I didn't spend much time debugging into it, then I simply reformatted the USB flash and recopied the files from a backup, and it worked again.

BTW, playing MP3 seems to use less system resource, and is smoother and less skipping than playing 16-bit 44Khz FLAC. Playing higher res FLAC files tends to abort at random time, so not exactly a high fidelity system.

• Love
Convert your music to MP3s or FLAC and you should not have any issues.

My music library is about 250 GB with nearly 10K songs and I have no playback issues with a single track after using Media Monkey to clean up the music so they are all MP3 or FLAC.

My biggest issue right now has to do with the media player not resuming music.

• Informative
I have over 3400 songs on a USB drive that I have downloaded over the six years I've owned my Model S. Starting with 2018.50.6 over 90 percent of the time I get a "loading error" message.
Can someone explain in rather simple language how I convert my music. (Downloading to USB drive was major accomplishment!)
Thanks