Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music Playlist on Day 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Krock65

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2020
Ridgecrest, CA
This feels like a dumb question, but I haven’t found the answer yet. I’m planning to pick up my MY within a week. (Even though I don’t have a VIN yet...) I’m fantasizing about playing a list of tunes to exercise the audio system. But I’m not sure, other than putting them on an SD card or some such device, how to play that playlist. Is there a way to set up a Slacker or Spotify playlist ahead of time so it’s ready to go as I drive off the lot? I don’t have an account on either system yet, but am more than willing to set one up if that makes the difference. Thanks for any help you could offer. (And for prayers for a quick VIN and delivery date!!)

Not a dumb question as this has come up with us who preordered the Cybertruck. :)

Just put your songs you want to play on a standard USB memory stick (thumb drive) and have it formatted on a PC as Fat 32.

Put your songs on there, using FLAC (if you want to go for best audio quality) or MP3 files and just plug that in before you drive off. You'll see a "USB" audio option after a few second on the lower right portion of the screen. Select that and start playing your tunes.

Reactions: Krock65
Not a dumb question as this has come up with us who preordered the Cybertruck. :)

Just put your songs you want to play on a standard USB memory stick (thumb drive) and have it formatted on a PC as Fat 32.

Put your songs on there, using FLAC (if you want to go for best audio quality) or MP3 files and just plug that in before you drive off. You'll see a "USB" audio option after a few second on the lower right portion of the screen. Select that and start playing your tunes.
Thanks a lot for that info. Very helpful. But I have to admit that I have never played music that way, so was hoping for a Slacker or Spotify option since they’re native to the car. So if anyone has info on making that work, or telling me that it can’t, I’d still appreciate that. In the meantime, I’ll see if I can figure out the USB approach.
Another question then, does the USB drive for music need to be, or can it be, different from the Sentry Mode drive?
This is all getting more real, as I finally got my VIN this morning. Merry Christmas!!

You can absolutely set up a Spotify playlist in advance, on the free option if you prefer. The only thing I don't know is whether or not the car will be able to access it on Day 1 without some setup. I'd do a playlist in advance and make sure the delivery person shows you how to access it! Worse comes to worse, put the app on your phone and stream it through the BT connection.

• Informative
Reactions: Krock65
You can absolutely set up a Spotify playlist in advance, on the free option if you prefer. The only thing I don't know is whether or not the car will be able to access it on Day 1 without some setup. I'd do a playlist in advance and make sure the delivery person shows you how to access it! Worse comes to worse, put the app on your phone and stream it through the BT connection.
I’ll give it a try. Thank you!!

You can now format to exFAT, so you don't need to format in FAT32.