Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music randomly blares from speakers at full volume

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes when I enter my model 3 and I press play on my music that comes from my phone, the car's audio will be turned up to max volume which gives me a heart attack and hurts my ears every time. My phones volume is completely independent from the displayed car volume so that's not the issue. It's as though the car just decides to turn up the volume all the way when I leave. Anyone else have this issue?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Sometimes when I enter my model 3 and I press play on my music that comes from my phone, the car's audio will be turned up to max volume which gives me a heart attack and hurts my ears every time. My phones volume is completely independent from the displayed car volume so that's not the issue. It's as though the car just decides to turn up the volume all the way when I leave. Anyone else have this issue?
I have the same issue with my model Y. This is unbearable and really damaging my ears.
I went through all the settings and can’t figure it out.

Upvote 0
Same here with my iPhone. It's a real problem. My ears are already damaged enough! I turn on a source from my iPhone and it doesn't matter what volume I had on the Tesla, it's maxed the next time. If the phone was previously selected, even the DING! when it reconnects is deafening. Come on Tesla, let's get a fix soon!

Upvote 0
Same here with my iPhone. It's a real problem. My ears are already damaged enough! I turn on a source from my iPhone and it doesn't matter what volume I had on the Tesla, it's maxed the next time. If the phone was previously selected, even the DING! when it reconnects is deafening. Come on Tesla, let's get a fix soon!
I think the issue with iPhones is that they don't provide separate volume controls for media, rings and alerts. iPhones only have that one volume setting under 'Sounds and Haptics'. When your iPhone connects to your Tesla (which utilizes absolute volume) I believe what is happening is the Tesla's stereo volume is automatically getting set to match that of your iPhone's setting for 'ringer and alerts'.

I noticed this when my wife's iPhone was connected to our Tesla but not actively steaming any music. She got a notification that came over really loud over the Telsa's stereo. I turned the volume back down via the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Minutes later she got another notification and again it was really loud. Once again I turned the volume back down on the Tesla. I then had her reduce the volume setting on her iPhone. I then sent her a text to trigger the notification sound and it came in much lower over the Tesla's stereo.

Reactions: FastEddieB
Upvote 0
i used to get this sometimes when i hung up a bluetooth phonecall and then itd switch back to spotify. it keeps the volume setting from the bluetooth call for like.... one second after you would hang the call up.
Wow. I have wondered for SO LONG what was the root cause of this. This is the explanation that make sense! Strangely, after having this happen for months and months, it has gone away. I wonder if a firmware tweak (iPhone? Tesla?) solved it or just a volume adjustment on my phone? Amazing that I've had my car 2.5 years and never had a solid explanation of this until now. (And from a month old post, no less). Thanks, Candleflame, appreciate the explanation!

Upvote 0
I think the issue with iPhones is that they don't provide separate volume controls for media, rings and alerts. iPhones only have that one volume setting under 'Sounds and Haptics'. When your iPhone connects to your Tesla (which utilizes absolute volume) I believe what is happening is the Tesla's stereo volume is automatically getting set to match that of your iPhone's setting for 'ringer and alerts'.

I noticed this when my wife's iPhone was connected to our Tesla but not actively steaming any music. She got a notification that came over really loud over the Telsa's stereo. I turned the volume back down via the scroll wheel on the steering wheel. Minutes later she got another notification and again it was really loud. Once again I turned the volume back down on the Tesla. I then had her reduce the volume setting on her iPhone. I then sent her a text to trigger the notification sound and it came in much lower over the Tesla's stereo.
After reading your post I sat in my car and ran a few tests, every time I use dictation on my iPhone the car media goes to max volume, per your suggestion I went into settings on my phone and set the "ringer and alerts" volume from max to minimum, this did bring the car volume down about half way after I use dictation but not to the same level I had the car previously set at. This is definitely a problem between the car and the iPhone. I wonder if Android phones have the same problem?

Upvote 0
I wonder if Android phones have the same problem?
It's an Absolute Volume issue. This is a bluetooth 'volume sharing' feature that allows you to control a bluetooth device's volume with your phone and for the bluetooth device to control the phone's volume. It's supposed to simplify volume control when using bluetooth devices but my experience is that it causes more issues than it solves. Luckily for Android users we can disable Absolute Volume; Apple doesn't allow you to do so because it's Apple :).

I have absolute volume disabled on my phone for a variety of reasons. Mainly because I use volume differently based on the type of bluetooth device I'm connected to. For example, with a car I want the phone's bluetooth output maximized and the volume control on the car's stereo to control the resulting volume. For headphones and portable speakers I like their input level maximized and use the phone to control the resulting volume. With Absolute Volume disabled, this works perfectly as the phone remembers its last output level used for each specific bluetooth device.

Upvote 0
A problem like this could go on indefinitely, with both Apple and Tesla pointing fingers at each other rather than either one actually putting some effort into resolving the problem. But with the problem clarified, at least if we can remember to lower the volume again after the bluetooth connection is made, and defend ourselves from a heart-stopping noise deluge…

• Disagree
Reactions: Brittanyp7447
Upvote 0
you guys are all wrong.

happened to me today (just posted about it) and I have not updated a damned thing in 1.5 years. not my phone, not apps, not tesla, not nuthin. I'm in software, so I know not to trust that crap ;)

so, I'm running old semi-reliable very well known sw on my car and I dont EVER do ble audio or connect my phone to link audio or contacts or anything other than walk-up lock and unlock (and auth, so that I dont need to use that keycard).

something snuck in over the lte network last nite, I'm thinking. I deny all updates and there is not even a wifi that my know knows about (deleted it 1.5 yrs ago).

there are a bunch of posts here today about audio slams. and I didn't take ANY updates and my car is still very old, in sw terms.

so, what's up? this is not about android or apple. I dont do apple and my android has not been updated in ages.

one final thing that may be relevant, I found the tesla app to not know my login and I had to relogin again, which never happens. I did not delete or reinstall the app or update it. it just suddenly forgot who I was.

tesla software. sigh. I'm glad I'm denying updates. but damn, son; even my frozen-updated car is showing unacceptable bugs, now.

so sad that tesla jumped the shark. they clearly can't make forward progress without breaking stuff. and again, I'm NOT ON ANY UPDATE train. none at all.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
I don’t think webwarmiller is wrong. But there might be multiple causes for this problem. It might also be brought about by any kind of resetting of the Tesla app (something occurred that forced you to log in again, right?) or the updating of the tesla car interface (one of the times when the issue happened to me.)

• Disagree
Reactions: Brittanyp7447
Upvote 0