Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music skipping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my case the song simply skip to the next song before the end. I don't think is it the V9 framerate problem and I had v9 for couple of weeks and yesterday was the first time it happened. Didn't have the issue on my drive this morning however.

I'm having this same issue. It's interesting, because it's related to buffering. I drive through a connectivity dead spot daily. If the song is already fully loaded/not buffering (which I can see by the grey progress bar in the player), it will play fine. However, if the song is in the process of buffering, even if I have plenty of buffered content, it skips the song. That is, it doesn't play up to the point where it has buffered. It just says, well I can't load more of this song so I'll skip to the next one. Clearly this is not the desired behavior, and it's a poor way to handle brief dead spots in coverage.

Am I alone, or is this the same behavior others are seeing?

• Informative
Reactions: f-stop
Yes it seems to match what I have seen. Btw, the problem went away for a long time until this week where I had problem with skipping a second or two inside a song and a song skipping to next one in the before the end (maybe like 20 or 30 seconds before end).

Yes it seems to match what I have seen. Btw, the problem went away for a long time until this week where I had problem with skipping a second or two inside a song and a song skipping to next one in the before the end (maybe like 20 or 30 seconds before end).
I can reproduce my issue daily by driving through the same ~1000 ft long stretch without connectivity. Same thing happens every time,

I posted a thread about this sometime back. There are many people that were experiencing the dreaded Framerate dropping. It was easy to identify this as the problem simply by putting the Easter egg for sketch pad up and then drive that way for awhile. The problem in our case would stop and the music would be streamed flawlessly.
It was this way for me for a long time until this week I updated to 2018.50.6 and low and behold it’s gone. Music is fine now.
BTW mine stuttered and glitched and skipped as has been described but never did it skip the song and go to the next song. Possibly a different problem?
And I was reasonably sure it had nothing to do with buffering of the music since it was very inconsistent and I could even sit in the garage and listen while on WiFi and it would make no difference. It still skipped.

Reactions: f-stop
I'm having this same issue. It's interesting, because it's related to buffering. I drive through a connectivity dead spot daily. If the song is already fully loaded/not buffering (which I can see by the grey progress bar in the player), it will play fine. However, if the song is in the process of buffering, even if I have plenty of buffered content, it skips the song. That is, it doesn't play up to the point where it has buffered. It just says, well I can't load more of this song so I'll skip to the next one. Clearly this is not the desired behavior, and it's a poor way to handle brief dead spots in coverage.

Interesting. I see now I’ve been experiencing what according to your info seem to be 2 separate problems: the glitches within a song since V9 (fixed by sketch pad trick), and a song abruptly being abandoned mid-track and skipping to next song.

I’ve definitely seen the latter problem, several times in the past couple days but also for a while now before that. I hadn’t though to look for any correlation to buffering or network connectivity loss before, originally assuming the same root cause as the glitches. But will keep a closer eye out for that from now. FWIW the other audio glitching problem doesn’t appear to be data signal related - I’ve noticed that it happens in areas with good signal eg 4 bars LTE.

I wonder - is it possible to replicate the buffering problem while connected to wifi in your garage? (eg by suddenly cutting the wifi before buffering of a song completes)

I’m still on 48.12.1 so keeping fingers crossed there’s a solution at least for the glitches in next update as reported by @quickstrike12

I wonder - is it possible to replicate the buffering problem while connected to wifi in your garage? (eg by suddenly cutting the wifi before buffering of a song completes)
I suppose I could give it a shot - are you suggesting because you'd like to try to replicate? I will be driving through the dead spot in about 30 minutes. Maybe I can set up my phone to take a video hands-free before I leave, so I can share the behavior.

I haven't experienced the framerate/skipping issue reported by @quickstrike12, but I did come across that thread when searching for my particular issue. This buffering issue was also introduced with v9, if my recollection is accurate.

I was wondering about testing with wifi because I can’t think of any local areas where I can be certain to lose cellular connectivity, in order for me to replicate and more closely watch the buffering progress while not watching the road driving. Would be interesting to see video of your
particular dead zone

And as best I can recall I’ve only ever seen this skipping the whole rest of a track with v9, same with the glitching within a track.

Reactions: ohmman
I have had the same issue as ohmman for two years, and it has been getting a little worse since V9. I also have a 2 mile dead spot where I have little to no connectivity. When I’m on my phone on this stretch, I will usually lose the call. And as ohmman explains, if the song is already fully buffered, I can travel the full 2 miles without losing the song, but if the song ends midway through the drive, the next song cannot buffer the full song and will stop playing and try and load the next song to no avail. For those who haven’t paid close attention to the time bar, one can see a light grey line filling it up (buffering) as the song plays. Usually this takes 3-10 seconds depending on strength of the network in the area you are in. I’m on 3G so maybe mine loads a little slower.

Reactions: ohmman

Same problem here. It happens all the time. It fully plays one song then parts of two. It doesn’t exactly have a pattern, but it’s irritating when we pay so much for it.