Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music skips on bumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed recently that when I hit some larger bumps in the road, my music will stop for a second and/or sound like it skips like an old CD. It has happened when I’m streaming Amazon Music through my iPhone XR to the car. In all instances my phone has been sitting on my M3 Nomad wireless charging pad and the interruption has directly coincided with going over the bump. I haven’t performed an exhaustive trouble shooting to notice if it happens on all audio sources/inputs (e.g. radio, on board streaming, etc), but was wondering if anyone had experienced this.

Sounds like you're playing LPs.

I have noticed the occasional skip or pause. My source is iTunes on my phone. I always assumed it was the phone rather than the car, but I'm not sure how to prove it. But in any case, for me I don't think it's correlated with bumps. More random. I'll pay attention next time it happens, though...

• Funny
Reactions: JATinNH
jk. Does it continue where it left off or you miss the seconds where it was silent? if the latter, maybe the audio cable is loose? But SC should be able to look at it for you for sure.
I'm not 100% sure... I’ll pay more attention next time it happens to verify.

Sounds like you're playing LPs.
Reminds of my first generation Sony Discman in the late 80s... I had to carry it around the house gently in the palm of my hand, being careful not to jar it at all.

You mentioned that your phone is on a wireless charging pad. Does your phone play a sound when it starts or stops charging? Does the music app temporarily pause when another sound is playing? (I've noticed that Audible pauses and resumes when any system sound is played, like a notification.) I wonder if you going over the bump is causing the phone to raise just high enough above the charging pad to momentarily stop charging.

Maybe try putting the phone on the seat next to you rather than the charger for a few drives. See if you still lose sound when going over a bump.

You mentioned that your phone is on a wireless charging pad. Does your phone play a sound when it starts or stops charging? Does the music app temporarily pause when another sound is playing? (I've noticed that Audible pauses and resumes when any system sound is played, like a notification.) I wonder if you going over the bump is causing the phone to raise just high enough above the charging pad to momentarily stop charging.

Thx for the suggestion, I know what you mean but no it doesn’t play a sound when I lay it down on the pad or pick it up. The interruption is not like what I hear when a text or email notification comes through, where it lowers the volume. This sounds more like a disconnection.

Does it skip to the next song or just buffer and return to the same song?

I know the iPhone has a shake to shuffle feature - maybe prime music has something similar or the phone is skipping to the next track.
Stays on the same song...buffer.

Frustrating part is it’s not reliably reproduce-able. But will definitely mention it next time I’m in service.

I’ve noticed recently that when I hit some larger bumps in the road, my music will stop for a second and/or sound like it skips like an old CD. It has happened when I’m streaming Amazon Music through my iPhone XR to the car. In all instances my phone has been sitting on my M3 Nomad wireless charging pad and the interruption has directly coincided with going over the bump. I haven’t performed an exhaustive trouble shooting to notice if it happens on all audio sources/inputs (e.g. radio, on board streaming, etc), but was wondering if anyone had experienced this.
Step 1: Check all audio sources to see if they exhibit the same interruption. If so, then the car has a problem. Visit SC. If not, then
Step 2: If only some sources are interrupted, then note which sources. If only streaming sources from phone are interrupted, then phone/phon connection has a problem. Open window and toss phone. Or put phone on a really soft bed which lessens the shock to the phone. If problem still persists
Step 3: try a new cable to see if cable has a break or loose connection that interrupts continuity during a shock. If interruption still persists, then
Step 4: plug phone, bypassing wireless charging pad, to see if phone bounce is momentarily interrupting charging, causing phone to mute audio temporarily
Step 5: post results of Steps 1-4 for our education.

• Informative
Mine does the same it occurs when you power or unpower your iPhone.
Play music with your phone in your hand then set it in the wireless charger and it will stop playing for a second. Take it off and it will skip again. It’s really annoying. I think it’s from a recent update.

• Informative
My iphone X pauses play for about one second whenever the phone is placed or removed on any wireless charger. I assume the bump is causing the phone to disconnect enough to replicate this. Test if this is the cause by picking it up or placing it back on the charging mat and you should notice the same quick pause in music.

Extremely frustrating to say the least. I listen to music on my headphones at work in my noisy cube farm and every time I pick my phone up it does the same. I had found a solution a year or so ago, and something recently undid this fix, maybe a recent OS update. I can't find what setting I changed to correct this again, and it's driving me nuts.

Let us know if you find anything that works.

Found this in the parts catalog
1100843-00-F PREMIUM CD-ROM ESP (+5 SEC) UPGRADE $179.95

(just kidding)

I've seen on Android a charging paused error when it gets bumped very rarely. Maybe there's a similar alert on iOS when it gets into a weird state?

Only partially on topic.
I was an early adopter of MP3s.. In 2000, Before high capacity portable devices were available I had a mini-pc with custom windows software installed behind the passenger seat in my Miata.. The display was where the radio would be, but the controls were the buttons / scroll wheel of a mouse (not the ball part) mounted to the arm rest. The navigation was essentially what the original iPod used (but I was first).

For storage I had an 80gb hard disk (yes w/ a magnetic spinning platter).. Once every 6 months I'd hit a bump hard enough that the hard disk would completely crash.