Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music USB not recognized by Tesla 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got my Tesla 3 in March the USB drive worked flawlessly. Over the months I would get a 0 files on it. Unplug, re-plug and it worked fine. Now. to make it work I must put the car to sleep and then when I wake it up it scans the USB and everything is fine....for a day or two...anybody have same problem and or solution?

One solution would be to switch to a ssd - I have a fairly inexpensive 250GB one by sandisk that works great. I have it partitioned into two volumes and have the dashcam and music both working from it just fine. It's possible that the lousy usb implementation that tesla uses borked your music drive somehow, definitely try replacing it.

When I first got my Tesla 3 in March the USB drive worked flawlessly. Over the months I would get a 0 files on it. Unplug, re-plug and it worked fine. Now. to make it work I must put the car to sleep and then when I wake it up it scans the USB and everything is fine....for a day or two...anybody have same problem and or solution?
Couldn't hurt to reformat it and recopy the music to it. If that doesn't help, try a different drive. I use a 128GB Samsung micro SDcard and a very ordinary USB2 SDcard reader for my music and it certainly doesn't act like this.

Reactions: sduck
Here's the result of various tests. PNY 128Gb (original stick) I reformatted and copied files. NG. 256 Samsung MicroSD w USB adapter. 0 files. 16Gb SanDisk works fine. BTW, I kept 2 USBs plugged into extender at the same time and it recognized them and a CHANGE button comes up next to USB text. I dunno. Maybe I'll try a 32GB Sandisk. Also, I am having the same sort of problem with my Android phone. I put all the files of the external SD card, a couple hours later a bunch (but not all disappear). The Android forum is trying to convince me I have a counterfeit card. I am SO glad I work on IBM mainframes where everything works every day

... Also, I am having the same sort of problem with my Android phone. I put all the files of the external SD card, a couple hours later a bunch (but not all disappear). The Android forum is trying to convince me I have a counterfeit card. ...
It happens a lot, especially with high capacity Samsung cards from eBay or CraigsList. Once you have pictures of what to look for on the artwork it's pretty easy to tell. My son ended up buying bogus cards last year, but luckily, the CraigsList seller immediately took them back and refunded him. I bought mine directly from Samsung.