Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music USB not recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About the time when the Spotify icon was added in an update my car quit recognizing my music USB stick which I had been using for 2 years. I have removed the USB and reinserted it with flashing light inside the USB, but the car still doesn’t recognize it. The USB is inserted in one of the main USB ports up front. The TeslaCam USB is recognized in the adjacent port. Does anyone else have this problem? Update 2020.28.6. There are some older (2018 & 2019) threads on this topic but I thought I’d start this new one.

About the time when the Spotify icon was added in an update my car quit recognizing my music USB stick which I had been using for 2 years. I have removed the USB and reinserted it with flashing light inside the USB, but the car still doesn’t recognize it. The USB is inserted in one of the main USB ports up front. The TeslaCam USB is recognized in the adjacent port. Does anyone else have this problem? Update 2020.28.6. There are some older (2018 & 2019) threads on this topic but I thought I’d start this new one.
Maybe the USB is the wrong format?

AxlxA- well, that must be it because it shows up on my desktop, but no files are accessible and the desktop (Windos10) asks if I want to format the USB. So, fortunately I have the music in my library on my desktop and I can use another USB.. Thanks so much for helping me out.

Thanks roblab. I guess I prefer a USB because I have 2GB of different genres of music and with a 16Gb iPhone I prefer to keep the memory for other things. Of course, my phone is always connected to the car as I use it as a key. No fob or key card used.
The problem was solved when AxlxA explained that USB sticks die easily and that is what happened.

I found that using my phone's music files worked the best. I pick and album and play it, or a song at a time if that's what I want. The only requirement is that you pair your phone to the car.
Yeah, but serious degradation in sound quality.

Thanks roblab. I guess I prefer a USB because I have 2GB of different genres of music and with a 16Gb iPhone I prefer to keep the memory for other things.
16 GB iPhone? How old is that thing?
And only 2 GB of music? I've got most of a 256GB thumb drive filled.

Did you Tyme Travel from 10 years ago? :)

I found that using my phone's music files worked the best. I pick and album and play it, or a song at a time if that's what I want. The only requirement is that you pair your phone to the car.

Problem with that is quality from bluetooth is much lower than from USB (assuming you have high quality music files on the USB device, not just 128kb mp3s or something)

What is the importance of audio quality. The point of this thread was that USB was no longer being recognized for music. This same thing has happened to me recently and I was wondering if anyone found a resolution to this? Did Tesla remove the ability to access music via USB with recent FW upgrades?

What is the importance of audio quality. The point of this thread was that USB was no longer being recognized for music. This same thing has happened to me recently and I was wondering if anyone found a resolution to this? Did Tesla remove the ability to access music via USB with recent FW upgrades?
rebirth24 - forum member AxlxA suggested that my USB stick had failed and thus not recognized by the car. That is exactly what happened in my case. I didn't realize that a USB drive could fail so easily over time, but that is what happened. I loaded my music and playlists from my music library onto a newer USB stick and it was recognized by the car and has played fine since.

What is the importance of audio quality.
For some of us, it is VERY important.

Might cost a little more money, but consider an external SSD drive instead. They last much longer.
This is unproven and anecdotal evidence suggests that as long as you have a decent thumb drive (especially not a counterfeit one), it makes no difference. Particularly for a drive strictly for music. I successfully used a USB thumb drive until I ran out of space (I switched to a 1TB T5).

Yeah for music in particular unless you need a lot of space (like more than 256GB) an SSD is an inferior choice.

They're usually rated for a much narrower range as far as temps than USB keys or SDcards... on top of that they draw a lot more power in comparison, and speed is irrelevant given the highest bitrate files won't use even a fraction of the read speeds of the slowest storage.

And since 99% of the use is reads, not writes, you're unconcerned with the amount of wear cycles the flash is rated for unless you're constantly changing out the majority of your music collection.

So you're paying more, using more power, and getting a product less suited to last at the job in that environment.

No, it works as well as ever, except for the missing album art. At least in my car.

For some of us, it is VERY important.

This is unproven and anecdotal evidence suggests that as long as you have a decent thumb drive (especially not a counterfeit one), it makes no difference. Particularly for a drive strictly for music. I successfully used a USB thumb drive until I ran out of space (I switched to a 1TB T5).

No, it's pretty much proven they last longer. The circuity and garbage collection used in these drives extend their lifetime. They are also much faster. If you simply put music on a USB and READ from it all day and night, then it probably will last as long. Agreed, quality USB drive will last longer over cheap.