Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally picked up our MYLR MSM/Black on 4/29/22 and have been busy getting everything set up (Personalized settings, WiFi, etc.). Wife wanted the music on the USB flash drive in her Chevy Volt transferred to the Tesla. As I learned recently, the only USB port having data capability is the one in the glovebox used for the Dashcam/Sentry. Gave brief thought to buying a USB hub and running both flash drives off the hub. The Owner's Manual, however, frowns on doing this stating "Do not connect multiple devices using a USB hub. This can prevent connected devices from charging or from being recognized by Media Player, Sentry Mode, Dashcam, etc." For the time being, I removed the Dashcam/Sentry flash drive and installed the music flash drive in it's place.

I'm wondering if others have used a USB hub and, if so, were there any problems?

Install the below instead & enjoy USB music and head to head tesla arcade games using game controllers 😁. Easy install too.

Thanks for the info. Did you encounter any user interface issues?

Thanks for the info. Did you encounter any user interface issues?
No issues yet. I’ve had it about a month. I have charged up my phone while playing music and my glovebox dashcam is always on. My game controllers and music usb are the older usb-a types so I use a small cheap usb-c male / usb-a female adapter. Having data & power capable front ports has been one of my favorite features of the car. I think Tesla should reintroduce data capable front center usb ports for all of us who want to avoid Bluetooth compressed music & or play games using controllers.

Last edited:
What I did was use this Anker card reader I had lieing around:

51ICho3689L._AC_SX425_.jpg

It has slots for microSD and normal SD, so I put one of each in. One for Sentry, one for USB music. On the Tesla they show up as different volumes, so you can use the Tesla formatter for either one.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I recently installed TPARTS Data Module. Anyone else get "Loading Error" for USB music drive after waking up car overnight?
Once every few weeks I did about a month ago but not lately. Just remove wait 10 seconds and insert. It seemed to go away as I got newer updates from tesla if you happen to be behind on updates. I suspect weirdness like this happens even with older model Y’s on occasion. I also got in the habit of taking my usb stick out of the car if I parked in sun. I was buying cheap one that are not rated to withstand upinsaneky high heat like the Samsung stick that comes with tesla.

Install the below instead & enjoy USB music and head to head tesla arcade games using game controllers 😁. Easy install too.

Thank you. I saw it out of stock from another vendor. Abstract Ocean. I just ordered from Tparts.

Hi All. I just discovered this thread today. I took delivery March 20 and the next day was pissed the the usual usb port in the center console was no longer there. I went back to the delivery center and they were totally clueless about it. I somehow learned about using the one in the glovebox and using a usb splitter. That has worked well until about 3 days ago. Now, the car no longer sees the usb drive. I have rebooted the car twice, but no luck. i removed the usb and plugged it inot my laptop computer and the usb still works fine. something fishy with the car tho. I may just remove the sentry one and plug music usb in directly and see how that works.

Hi All. I just discovered this thread today. I took delivery March 20 and the next day was pissed the the usual usb port in the center console was no longer there. I went back to the delivery center and they were totally clueless about it. I somehow learned about using the one in the glovebox and using a usb splitter. That has worked well until about 3 days ago. Now, the car no longer sees the usb drive. I have rebooted the car twice, but no luck. i removed the usb and plugged it inot my laptop computer and the usb still works fine. something fishy with the car tho. I may just remove the sentry one and plug music usb in directly and see how that works.
There is a software bug which is causing the USB port in glovebox to not mount the devices on occasion. Happening for myself and others. Usually unplugging and plugging in fixes it until next deep sleep.
Read more here

Reactions: Wilber and Jones1
This install looks pretty simple! How difficult was it to remove the panel inside the console?
It is very difficult to remove using the Tparts tool. This video helped me see where the clips are located which made it a LOT easier to remove using some protective cloth and a flat head screwdriver. After watching this video, only took 5 minutes to swap and install new console. I now have two data/power usb sources. Thank you Tparts & users on here for making me aware of this add-on.
Now I’m making some new portable USB’s with mp3s to listen in the Tesla. Flashback to Y2K.

Last edited:
It is very difficult to remove using the Tparts tool. This video helped me see where the clips are located which made it a LOT easier to remove using some protective cloth and a flat head screwdriver. After watching this video, only took 5 minutes to swap and install new console. I now have two data/power usb sources. Thank you Tparts & users on here for making me aware of this add-on.
Now I’m making some new portable USB’s with mp3s to listen in the Tesla. Flashback to Y2K.
For my favorite songs & albums I'm either buying FLAC lossless compressed versions or buying used CD's and digitizing as FLAC...ok..perhaps that is over kill.. ;) Butavoiding bluetooth's compression is worth it for my favorite tunes...one pal has everything play off USB device.

Reactions: SWIPE
There is a software bug which is causing the USB port in glovebox to not mount the devices on occasion. Happening for myself and others. Usually unplugging and plugging in fixes it until next deep sleep.
Read more here
Thanks, but i tried unplugging it and replugging and a couple car reboots. none of that helped. I did get it going by simply disconnecting that 4 way usb port i was using and plugging my usb into the glovebox port. It now works, but of course, the sentry usb is no longer plugged in anywhere. cant wait for the firmware update! I am not going to try messing with the center console. I am too cludgy for that !

Thanks, but i tried unplugging it and replugging and a couple car reboots. none of that helped. I did get it going by simply disconnecting that 4 way usb port i was using and plugging my usb into the glovebox port. It now works, but of course, the sentry usb is no longer plugged in anywhere. cant wait for the firmware update! I am not going to try messing with the center console. I am too cludgy for that !
Why not just use an SSD with 2 partitions, one for dashcam recording and the other for playing audio? I've been doing it this way for over a year. Like ElectricAnt54, all my music is in FLAC format.

Reactions: Wilber
Why not just use an SSD with 2 partitions, one for dashcam recording and the other for playing audio? I've been doing it this way for over a year. Like ElectricAnt54, all my music is in FLAC format.
I added data capable usb-c mainly for these reasons:

1) I didn't want to take a chance of overloading the USB device used for recording video by also having it active reading/streaming music files off the device. I have no idea if Tesla system streams the media or reads it quickly and keeps info in RAM..etc. So playing it safe.
2) I wanted dual game controllers in the car and manual says to not use a usb bridge in glovebox's USB-A.
3) I wanted to have parity with model y's built 3 weeks before my car. It's a silly feature to remove and very useful...but that's just me. I also added Apple CarPlay/Anderoid Auto to my car so I'm an oddball I guess.
4) It is easier to use the usb-c ports below infotainment screen than having to always open glovebox. I tend to take my music USB out of the car when not in use due to high cabin temperatures.

Reactions: Wilber