Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musings on the wood dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

woodisgood

Optimustic Pessimist
Jul 26, 2018
San Francisco
TL;DR: Initially I was confused about the wood dash but now I "get it" because I am unapologetically in love with this car.

First off, let me preface this by saying I am not an eco-hippy. Buying the Model 3 is about as eco-conscious of a thing I’ve ever done (after composting, which is mandatory in our city anyway). And the purchase was largely for practical reasons rather than environmental ones. Don’t get me wrong, I like our planet, and I have a tremendous appreciation for nature and the outdoors without being an “outdoorsy type.” But I’ve never really been one to fly the flag of environmental causes.

The wood dash always struck me as weird. I am a fairly experienced hobby woodworker, and thus probably have more appreciation for the veneer than most people, but even then I found raw veneer to be a curious choice. I didn’t like it, I didn’t hate it, I just accepted it. As a woodworker I wondered if I ought to finish it properly for protection. I thought about perhaps covering it up with vinyl or carbon fiber or what have you. I wondered what exactly Tesla was going for with this very peculiar choice; surely the suits in marketing would have said customers would prefer the softness of alcanterra or the sleek modern feel of carbon fiber, brushed aluminum, etc. They’ve already replaced the photo of the interior on the Model 3 website. It was a retro vibe that I didn’t love nor hate.

After several months of looking at the wood sideways every time I’m in the car, I have developed a great, possibly even profound, appreciation for what it’s doing there.

I’ve traditionally hated wood in cars. You know - we took this rare, expensive exotic wood, doused it with 80 coats of epoxy so it looks like plastic, and slathered it all over your car so you feel wealthy and pampered and powerful and whatever else that ebony burl makes you feel. In Model 3, the wood looks and feels like wood. What a concept!

As much as the Model X was about hubris and “look what we can do” taking the spotlight, the minimalist Model 3 is about humility (from a design perspective). Even with all of the technological marvels in this vehicle, front and center is a very deliberate reminder of why this car was conceived of in the first place. An appreciation of the natural beauty and vitality of this planet that this vehicle is a small but significant part of saving. Tech and nature can coexist. Even as we propel ourselves hither tither in these glorious missiles of glass, metal, plastic, and rubber, there is a conscious effort not to omit the natural when it would have been easy to do so. Aesthetically and practically, I can think of better materials, and I can understand when people say the wood looks out of place. Philosophically, the choice does this car justice.

Last edited:
I was skeptical when I first saw it in pictures, but I like it a lot in person. It's different, modern and fits with Tesla's sustainability theme. I think they probably took some inspiration from the BMW i3, which was the first mass produced car in recent memory that used open-pore wood in some trim levels.

6OjGMKr.jpg

I like the open pore wood for the interior too.

Believe it gives a Skandivian pure look. Some like the high tech look of shiney wood, carbon fiber or ebony, but for me the open pore look is perfect.

It does not show finger prints, reflect glare or offer distractions. Nice touch of natural quality wood.

I have seen where some woodworkers have restained the wood for their individual preference...pretty cool.

Reactions: Catbiscuits
It looks terrible. A plastic panel would be far better. If it's all about looking like you are trying to save the world (Public transportation would do far more) why kill a tree that reduces CO2 to make a statement on how you are saving the world?

EV's will sell on the economics of the purchase. Sure there is a small number who will pay more to not directly use carbon based fuel. The masses will all be about economics. If the cost of an EV and operating cost are lower than an ICE car, buyers will buy them. A piece of wood on the dash will have no impact.

TL;DR: Initially I was confused about the wood dash but now I "get it" because I am unapologetically in love with this car.

First off, let me preface this by saying I am not an eco-hippy. Buying the Model 3 is about as eco-conscious of a thing I’ve ever done (after composting, which is mandatory in our city anyway). And the purchase was largely for practical reasons rather than environmental ones. Don’t get me wrong, I like our planet, and I have a tremendous appreciation for nature and the outdoors without being an “outdoorsy type.” But I’ve never really been one to fly the flag of environmental causes.

Should've stopped at the TL;dr ... this paragraph was just a filler aka BS :rolleyes:

The Model 3 cabin is a thing of beauty. I believe Tesla is singular in driving towards a fully unique interior, and the wood trim is a key element in the Model 3 design. To me it has nothing to do with environmental issues and is instead effective at making the forward view -- the dashboard -- look more cohesive. It works well with the touchscreen in providing an analog/digital balance. Together with the AC vents it gives the car a very organic feel. Not futuristic but better descriptive of the present than any knob-filled alternative.

I know the interior does not work for everyone, but I am surprised than anyone would prefer any BMW or any other brand interior. Others are light years behind Tesla in this area IMO.

Little wood and few trees felled to make these beautiful accents.

The real wood is just a very thin veneer over a base material. Maybe only 1/32 of an inch thick.

Adds warmth and interest to the interior.

Some will prefer a metallic or painted surface. Relatively easy to wrap it with the finish of your choice. Shiney Ebony, trendy Carbon Fiber or techie truned metallic. Tons of choices.

The wood dash always struck me as weird. I am a fairly experienced hobby woodworker, and thus probably have more appreciation for the veneer than most people, but even then I found raw veneer to be a curious choice. I didn’t like it, I didn’t hate it, I just accepted it. As a woodworker I wondered if I ought to finish it properly for protection. I thought about perhaps covering it up with vinyl or carbon fiber or what have you. I wondered what exactly Tesla was going for with this very peculiar choice; surely the suits in marketing would have said customers would prefer the softness of alcanterra or the sleek modern feel of carbon fiber, brushed aluminum, etc. They’ve already replaced the photo of the interior on the Model 3 website. It was a retro vibe that I didn’t love nor hate.

After several months of looking at the wood sideways every time I’m in the car, I have developed a great, possibly even profound, appreciation for what it’s doing there.

I’ve traditionally hated wood in cars. You know - we took this rare, expensive exotic wood, doused it with 80 coats of epoxy so it looks like plastic, and slathered it all over your car so you feel wealthy and pampered and powerful and whatever else that ebony burl makes you feel. In Model 3, the wood looks and feels like wood. What a concept!

As much as the Model X was about hubris and “look what we can do” taking the spotlight, the minimalist Model 3 is about humility (from a design perspective). Even with all of the technological marvels in this vehicle, front and center is a very deliberate reminder of why this car was conceived of in the first place. An appreciation of the natural beauty and vitality of this planet that this vehicle is a small but significant part of saving. Tech and nature can coexist. Even as we propel ourselves hither tither in these glorious missiles of glass, metal, plastic, and rubber, there is a conscious effort not to omit the natural when it would have been easy to do so. Aesthetically and practically, I can think of better materials, and I can understand when people say the wood looks out of place. Philosophically, the choice does this car justice.

I agree with your views. I think the wood is a strong contrast to a highly technological car. The world is carbon-fibered to excess (as Is my Model S) and that material was never intended to be decorative. Wood veneer is a very different story, But the use of wood in luxury cars (usually some kind of burl polished to a high gloss) is IMHO an aburd example of conspicuous consumption.

When I have my Model 3 in a week i’m going to take the wood accents a bit further using macassar ebony with a matte finish not only on the dash but the console as well. It has stronger grain pattern and more color variation. Anything that we use — plastic, carbon fiber, vinyl, etc — has environmental consequences, as a lot of this stuff is fossil fuel based.

Indeed. quit with the speechifying, value projecting
It’s funny that you attempted to be funny in a snarky way and he just fired right back and now you appear to be trying to act like you were just trying to be a good person who is merely helping someone out by coaching them on their writing style. If you can’t take someone firing back at you then don’t pick a fight.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevor B
It’s funny that you attempted to be funny in a snarky way and he just fired right back and now you appear to be trying to act like you were just trying to be a good person who is merely helping someone out by coaching them on their writing style. If you can’t take someone firing back at you then don’t pick a fight.

Thanks for the advice, Pope!