Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musings on the wood dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen this thread either, and I am still not sure if that's real wood or vinyl trim we've got by default in our cars...

If itā€™s real wood, itā€™s at best a paper thin veneer. Hereā€™s pics from my removed, factory dash.

Tim

71F03E8E-2A0A-4D95-B7C6-A4456DB7459F.jpeg
91F5ACAC-A375-44C7-AF95-BD2639536B23.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and rrohde
I love the black interior, but not so crazy about the wood dash (in pics). Iā€™ll wait to get my M3 to see it in person. It might grow on me. If not, thereā€™s always aftermarket replacements. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
It's not awful, but not great IMO. I'll probably eventually replace it all with carbon fiber, which is what at least the performance should have come with in the first place.

Yes, that's why they call it a dash "board". Because it was originally a wooden board that blocked the mud when your horses "dashed". Literally the very first dashboard was wood.

But Tesla made popular this incarnation of raw open-grain wood on the horizontal surfaces of a high-tech dash. As opposed to the imitation wood in deep clear plastic that most cars have used on vertical surfaces for decades.

Screenshot 2022-03-14 215208.jpg

Wood trim on the dash was a thing long before Tesla existed. No idea who was first

This is a BMW 7-series from the late 80s

Not sure but I remember it in some low end Buicks in the late 80's or 90's. I thought wood went out with chrome. It's one reason I got the white interior: to get rid of the wood and have it match the rest of the car.

Mike

The OP started out saying he is not an eco-hippy. which is ok, he might evolve into one. Much better than a few of the ones I remember from the time period who I called meat-on.a-stick hippies. Tesla appeals to all of them..me included.

TL;DR: Initially I was confused about the wood dash but now I "get it" because I am unapologetically in love with this car.

First off, let me preface this by saying I am not an eco-hippy. Buying the Model 3 is about as eco-conscious of a thing Iā€™ve ever done (after composting, which is mandatory in our city anyway). And the purchase was largely for practical reasons rather than environmental ones. Donā€™t get me wrong, I like our planet, and I have a tremendous appreciation for nature and the outdoors without being an ā€œoutdoorsy type.ā€ But Iā€™ve never really been one to fly the flag of environmental causes.

The wood dash always struck me as weird. I am a fairly experienced hobby woodworker, and thus probably have more appreciation for the veneer than most people, but even then I found raw veneer to be a curious choice. I didnā€™t like it, I didnā€™t hate it, I just accepted it. As a woodworker I wondered if I ought to finish it properly for protection. I thought about perhaps covering it up with vinyl or carbon fiber or what have you. I wondered what exactly Tesla was going for with this very peculiar choice; surely the suits in marketing would have said customers would prefer the softness of alcanterra or the sleek modern feel of carbon fiber, brushed aluminum, etc. Theyā€™ve already replaced the photo of the interior on the Model 3 website. It was a retro vibe that I didnā€™t love nor hate.

After several months of looking at the wood sideways every time Iā€™m in the car, I have developed a great, possibly even profound, appreciation for what itā€™s doing there.

Iā€™ve traditionally hated wood in cars. You know - we took this rare, expensive exotic wood, doused it with 80 coats of epoxy so it looks like plastic, and slathered it all over your car so you feel wealthy and pampered and powerful and whatever else that ebony burl makes you feel. In Model 3, the wood looks and feels like wood. What a concept!

As much as the Model X was about hubris and ā€œlook what we can doā€ taking the spotlight, the minimalist Model 3 is about humility (from a design perspective). Even with all of the technological marvels in this vehicle, front and center is a very deliberate reminder of why this car was conceived of in the first place. An appreciation of the natural beauty and vitality of this planet that this vehicle is a small but significant part of saving. Tech and nature can coexist. Even as we propel ourselves hither tither in these glorious missiles of glass, metal, plastic, and rubber, there is a conscious effort not to omit the natural when it would have been easy to do so. Aesthetically and practically, I can think of better materials, and I can understand when people say the wood looks out of place. Philosophically, the choice does this car justice.
EXACTLY how I see it too! In my eyes it a subtle nod to its core purpose poetically placed in the center of all that technology re-enforcing its message without being preachy or elitist!

Yes, that's why they call it a dash "board". Because it was originally a wooden board that blocked the mud when your horses "dashed". Literally the very first dashboard was wood.

But Tesla made popular this incarnation of raw open-grain wood on the horizontal surfaces of a high-tech dash. As opposed to the imitation wood in deep clear plastic that most cars have used on vertical surfaces for decades.

View attachment 781097
Oh, so they got the wooden dashboard from horse-drawn buggies, I just assumed they got it from my 1946 wooden boat!
IMG_1094.jpeg

Reactions: pipestem
Whatā€™s wrong with someone expressing their opinion in a club forum? Isnā€™t that what this platform is for? SMH, I donā€™t understand the negativity/disrespect towards othersā€™ opinions.

It's the internet - negativity/disrespect towards othersā€™ is its primary purpose ;-)

Just accept the reality, grow a thicker skin, and prepare to BOHICA.