Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk’s burnout...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's not burned out. He's just tired of their BS and they're not accustomed to being held accountable for their insipid questions.
I'm with you. His frustration over the lack of balance in stories, just playing up the sensationalism was clear. And now the media has taken that to assign a 'Trump-like' label to his protest over that. Because THAT sells more papers and gets more clicks than talking about his frustration over the negative spin that misleads readers.

Instead of taking care with getting his frustration adequately reported, they pile on and give him a label resulting in casual readers thinking he feels differently than he does.

You're probably right, but I think it was the wrong move. It's pretty clear that the stock market is driven partly by emotion, and the analysts are used to people sucking up to them. So now they're throwing a tantrum and driving the stock down.

There are way way too many large scale investors out there driving the market through analytics and such to believe that emotion has anything to do at all with the market.

Emotion might be driving analysts views, however analysts don't equate to investors.

I'm an investors heavily invested in Tesla, however my trades happen on percent-stop-loss orders.

I'm with you. His frustration over the lack of balance in stories, just playing up the sensationalism was clear. And now the media has taken that to assign a 'Trump-like' label to his protest over that. Because THAT sells more papers and gets more clicks than talking about his frustration over the negative spin that misleads readers.

Instead of taking care with getting his frustration adequately reported, they pile on and give him a label resulting in casual readers thinking he feels differently than he does.
He cant control the media, but he can control how he responds. A leader of a large company needs to be better.

Also, the quarterly earnings call isn't a place for just cheerleading. People are investing real money in this company, and this is the place for these people to get a better understanding of what they are investing in. Again, Im asking which questions were BS?

He cant control the media, but he can control how he responds. A leader of a large company needs to be better.

Also, the quarterly earnings call isn't a place for just cheerleading. People are investing real money in this company, and this is the place for these people to get a better understanding of what they are investing in. Again, Im asking which questions were BS?
Elon is doing just fine.

He doesn't need to be better. If you think he should be different.....then ok. But he does not need to be better.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl and bonnie
Elon is doing just fine.

He doesn't need to be better. If you think he should be different.....then ok. But he does not need to be better.
yes he does. Im not referring to how he runs his company. Im referring to how he responds to negativity of the press in an earnings call. Its not an interview, but a place where we investors can ask how our investment is doing.

Reactions: adaptabl
yes he does. Im not referring to how he runs his company. Im referring to how he responds to negativity of the press in an earnings call. Its not an interview, but a place where we investors can ask how our investment is doing.

I STILL don't agree. He is doing just fine. When people lie about him in the press.....he needs press them. He's not a robot and has enough money to not be one.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl and bonnie
the fundamental problem with your arguments is that the questions he passed on where not negative or lying about him. they were trying to get a feel for modeling the order conversion rate. a legitimate ask. you can decline to answer, but its not a poor question.

as a person who has worked for some very abrasive (to wall street and others) CEOs, let me demonstrate the difference between eloquently not taking their crap vs. what Elon did. Elon just shut it down and insulted the asker. a better approach is to shut it down with evidence on why it is a poor question or a better way to analyze it. his was a tantrum, not an argument. if you don't want to take part, have the CFO handle the call. it is not required that the CEO attend.

Is the press unfairly reporting on things? perhaps, but he didn't punish those people. he punished analysts doing their job and the employees who may have been counting on selling some stock in the coming days as they come out of the blackout period. Nothing good came of this. it was unnecessary and there are 100s of better ways to make the points you are supposedly attributing to his performance yesterday.

i suppose i have to mention i have no position in Tesla stock and i want them to succeed and have purchased multiple products from them. but yesterday was embarrassing.

the fundamental problem with your arguments is that the questions he passed on where not negative or lying about him. they were trying to get a feel for modeling the order conversion rate. a legitimate ask. you can decline to answer, but its not a poor question.

as a person who has worked for some very abrasive (to wall street and others) CEOs, let me demonstrate the difference between eloquently not taking their crap vs. what Elon did. Elon just shut it down and insulted the asker. a better approach is to shut it down with evidence on why it is a poor question or a better way to analyze it. his was a tantrum, not an argument. if you don't want to take part, have the CFO handle the call. it is not required that the CEO attend.

Is the press unfairly reporting on things? perhaps, but he didn't punish those people. he punished analysts doing their job and the employees who may have been counting on selling some stock in the coming days as they come out of the blackout period. Nothing good came of this. it was unnecessary and there are 100s of better ways to make the points you are supposedly attributing to his performance yesterday.

i suppose i have to mention i have no position in Tesla stock and i want them to succeed and have purchased multiple products from them. but yesterday was embarrassing.

Bingo. I've been company counsel to quite a few public companies. The percentage of CEOs and CFOs who have disdain for the analyst community approaches 100. If you're going to be a public company CEO/CFO, you just have to play the game. If you don't, you have to accept that the analysts will return the favor.

That said, I really liked Musk's performance. Analysts, as a whole, have no real value to add. They basically are backwards looking and have a poor record of using information to accurately predict future financial performance. They are, at best, cynical pundits on the one hand or cheerleaders on the other. In the long run, which is where Musk lives, the analysts are irrelevant. I'm assuming that he really knows that he won't have to hit the markets again in the near term, so whatever butt hurt he put on the analysts will have no real effect on his plans.

was on full display yesterday. Even a brilliant middle aged person in good health can’t continue to burn the candle on both ends. Hopefully, someone he trusts will get him to see the light.

I disagree. I didn't see anything wrong with what he said or how he said it. He's defending his company against stupid questions from arrogant people. More CEO's should handle these kinds of a-holes in the same manner...

Jeff

I think it was just fatigue. He sounded too exhausted to think. Slap happy or punch-drunk is the way I would describe his humor during the call, which would match with sleep deprivation.

Lord knows he has dealt with questions they didn’t want to answer before. They were still giving the 10x efficiency claims but their heart just didn’t seem in it. Machine that makes the machine...yeah tough week for that noise.

Honestly, the entire discussion of 2nd and 3rd shift was revealing about how little they still don’t get about manufacturing.

Much like the choice I made to invest in a young company, I choose to watch objectively and chalk this one up to Elon being irritated.
Ideally he could have at least kept the peace with his team mates by not cutting them off. He was mistaken there.
We are watching Tesla very closely. Who listens to quarterly investor calls of other auto makers? Are they even open to the public to hear?
Making sausage isn’t fun to watch...