Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk’s Greed exposed! Now that the Tesla demand has dropped and inventory is high; He dropped the prices considerably while still making a lots of 💰

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where does this "GREED" come from? He takes no distribution or salary from company earnings.

If anyone was listening, he made it clear last month that Tesla would accept reduced margins to continue expansion of production in the anticipated recession as long as cash flow was acceptable, rather than scale back production and keep prices high - a better strategy for long term interests of the company and the transition to renewable energy.

I wish my landlord would get greedy and drop prices too!
its not the dropping of the prices. its the fact that it was overinflated last year and they kept increasing to make more money (aka the greed). elon could have sold it at the same price it is now last year if they can drop the price down to this much in a month. if the goal was to have an affordable EV for everyone, why not cut profit margins up front? you can't honestly tell me that prices for making cars have dropped 20% from december into january.

its not the dropping of the prices. its the fact that it was overinflated last year and they kept increasing to make more money (aka the greed). elon could have sold it at the same price it is now last year if they can drop the price down to this much in a month. if the goal was to have an affordable EV for everyone, why not cut profit margins up front? you can't honestly tell me that prices for making cars have dropped 20% from december into january.
Why would they sell for less when they can sell for more?

They are running a business. It’s not a green-eco-warrior non profit. Despite what some people believe.

Why would they sell for less when they can sell for more?

They are running a business. It’s not a green-eco-warrior non profit. Despite what some people believe.
People believe that because that is what Elon had said in the past. He wanted to create cars for the masses. Then he got greedy and wanted to make money. i'm not saying thats wrong. i'm just saying the premise that he is greedy is correct. i don't know why people have to try and say he isn't greedy. clearly he is greedy.

Most manufacturers make between 0%-12% per unit
I don't know of any EV that makes over single digit % profit per unit.
Tesla makes 32% profit per unit. Now they make a little less.

But drastic price swings are extremely negative and not a defensible plan. It's not smart business but from Tesla's perspective, I can see why and the IDGAF attitude.
What can you do as consumer at this point? Lottery. Feel bad for everyone that took a hit, and also the resale/depreciation is going to be a MOFO.
*sigh* life goes on, but it's sad to think you were buying from a solid company and realizing they are running with a dollar store mentality.

Next up: redesigned 3 and Y. Probably another reason they are blowing out inventory.

Reactions: cdub and Choncho
People believe that because that is what Elon had said in the past. He wanted to create cars for the masses. Then he got greedy and wanted to make money. i'm not saying thats wrong. i'm just saying the premise that he is greedy is correct. i don't know why people have to try and say he isn't greedy. clearly he is greedy.
having money in the bank is the best way to eventually scale and make cars fit for the masses.

Reactions: cdub and eleison
Spoiler: Elon was, and always has been, a liar.

He is doing this to make money. It has nothing to do with affordable cars, going to Mars, saving the planet, or whatever else.

Elon is greedy because he is selling cars for CHEAPER... next news, Santa is even more greedy. He is GIVING away toys for FREE to little boys and girls!!!

What has the world come too?? And when will it ever end?
Again it’s not the fact that he lowered prices. It’s the fact that prices and stocks were overvalued last few months of last year but he did not lower down prices gradually. I think if there was a gradual decrease in price rather than 20% in one day you would see less complaining. Also the fact that he knew prices would be going down and still tried to see at old price is what has people saying he is greedy. He wants more money. It’s not like he is selling cars for the betterment of mankind.