TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Musk And Rive CPUC Feb 27

Discussion in 'Video' started by tander, Feb 27, 2014.

1. tander

tander Member

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Thanks for the link!

3. tigerade

tigerade Member

I totally agree with Lyndon and Elon's recommendation of pricing carbon, which is currently an unpriced negative externality, and a market failure. I wish somebody asked them how to actually make it happen though. I don't need to argue that there is enormous headwind towards gaining a "carbon tax", which to me simply means that carbon polluters have to pay the costs of their pollution. And as long as coal, oil and gas are made artificially cheap because they don't have to bear the costs of pollution, then a clean, sustainable energy future is that much farther away. If the true costs of fossil fuel consumption were shown in the marketplace, then the obvious market reaction would be transition away from them to cleaner, renewable sources.

Not really making a statement here, just an observation. We know the problem. We know the solutions. And we're just not doing it. Just incredibly sad that we're in the process of making the future a whole lot more difficult and dangerous than it really has to be.

4. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I just do not trust Peevey, he is in charge of the CPUC and supposed to control the 3 utilities in California. Not sure how a former CEO of a utility company can be neutral in his position. Based on what I see happening with PG&E I do not think he is regulating any of these companies.

5. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

How about building an argument around “tax swap” instead?

6. tigerade

tigerade Member

To be honest, I wasn't sure what Lyndon meant by "tax swap". If he's talking about the idea of lowering income taxes to make passing a carbon tax easier, then I am ok with that.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Yes, "zero sum" sin tax. BC has implemented thst way. Of course, it helps that they have lots of hydro and a mild climate for a lot of the population. ;)

8. Benz

Benz Active Member

9. moollar

moollar Member

I think they've taken this out of context. I didn't watch the whole thing (the stream was pretty dodgy over my connection), but I saw that bit (unless this was in another bit I didn't see). Elon was talking about the cost of the raw materials being well under $100/kWhr - more like $60-70/kWhr - and that by reasoning on a first principles basis, the cost of batteries have a lot of room to move downwards on the cost curve. I'm not sure about lower than $100/kWhr, but I guess it may be possible.

It would be great to get a transcript of the video.

10. tander

tander Member

I would guess that he is keeping a few variables close the the chest for now when discussing that equation.