Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk at Code conference 2016: Model X is quite sublime at this point.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think when he said 90%, he exaggerated to just get his point across.

IF the fix involves software, then it is reasonable that a high number of people would eventually be affected - some immediately, some eventually based on tolerances of the hardware, installation and eventual wear and tear. Either that or some have hardware, installation that is out of spec and they are trying to fix it with software.

Reactions: Diavel
Whenever Elon talks about the Model X, he has that same demeanor that he had at the "delivery event" in September. I don't know how to describe it, but it has an air of resignation to it. I noted this in the active discussion back in September. He seemed almost apologetic, and that doesn't seem to have changed. Maybe if things get ironed out really well, his body language will start to match the verbiage.

I'd be very apologetic too. His "hubris" is the root of these problems. His engineers likely saw this coming but feared for their jobs. This vehicle could be a success with conventional doors. FWD and and self closing front doors should have at best, been an option. The take rate would have been low.

This problem is currently diverting much of their limited engineering talent away from the Model 3. I would be driving an X right now if I had any confidence that this was a fixable problem. This appears to need a total redesign, the latches coming off the line appear to have the same problems as the early models. Was the latch ever redesigned? Or just repeatedly replaced when they fail?

If you can afford the grief and time at the SC, leasing an X would be an option. With the liability of cost after the warranty for repeated fixes, purchasing at this stage is quite the financial gamble.

With more than 90% front door latch broken in first 3 weeks
this is garbage

68648612.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Diavel
Whenever Elon talks about the Model X, he has that same demeanor that he had at the "delivery event" in September. I don't know how to describe it, but it has an air of resignation to it. I noted this in the active discussion back in September. He seemed almost apologetic, and that doesn't seem to have changed. Maybe if things get ironed out really well, his body language will start to match the verbiage.

I think it is just his demeanor. He tends to "think" more about his answers than in the past. The "apologetic" part may linked to the realization with the X they should have built iterations after a base technology -- in other words, he is admitting to the error or being over zealous. That said, for may part, I love having all the technology now... albeit requiring some improved software.

Reactions: ZachShahan
I agree with the thought that I'd rather have the base for the technology and later have it refined via software updates.

One big issue with the FWD is that it is so different in its usability than everything else that people are used to. So far the FWDs have been very useful for us but I will admit that I seem to unconsciously limit how often I open them.

I'd be very apologetic too. His "hubris" is the root of these problems.

I partially disagree.
There is nothing wrong or hubris-tic (new word!) to have the ambition to build something exceptional, different, whatever. Terrific. That drives a lot of innovation and is great.

What is wrong is to release it to the public...and then to keep on going after they were in the hands of people in Q4 and they were getting the feedback that they should have had known all along.

But again, maybe this isn't a surprise since according to the shareholder meeting, the roadster was " “was completely unsafe,” it “broke down all the time,” and it “didn’t really work,” said Musk. It was stuck in second gear, he added."

Perhaps, they can learn from another leader from one industry who branched out to another...stay for the last 5 seconds.

Sublime--- excellence
"
sub·lime
səˈblīm/
adjective
adjective: sublime; comparative adjective: sublimer; superlative adjective: sublimest
of such excellence, grandeur, or beauty as to inspire great admiration or awe.
"Mozart's sublime piano concertos"
synonyms: exalted, elevated, noble, lofty, awe-inspiring, majestic, magnificent, glorious, superb, wonderful, marvelous, splendid;More
informalfantastic, fabulous, terrific, heavenly, divine, out of this world
"sublime music"
used to denote the extreme or unparalleled nature of a person's attitude or behavior.
"he had the sublime confidence of youth"
synonyms: supreme, total, complete, utter, consummate
"the sublime confidence of youth"

I applaud Tesla for continuing to work on any and all issues. GM wouldn't spend a minimal amount to redo ignition locks on their cars, despite people loosing their lives. Now they have the audacity to taught their innovation and quality on commercials -- unfortunately we tend to have short memories.

Tesla's works to solve issues, whether with hardware or software upgrades -- fulfilling the promise of the design. We saw that with the motor/differential updates on the Model S. Tesla decided to fix the issue with better software and hardware to improve the owner experience. I'd bet it cost a lot more than the final expense of GM's changing out the ignition switch. Guess what, no one died as a result of a noisy rear end.

Fortunately or Unfortunately, I am old enough to remember Ford's response to the gas tank explosions on the Ford Pinto (the business case of deaths vs. the cost to fix), and GM's response of the unsafe stabilization of the Chevy Corvair -- people died while they defended their engineering errors. Thanks Tesla for taking the "High-Road".

Why is that?
Its feels like the car is doing a lot of work to make a FWD open and close.
In my previous cars, I used to always put my work laptop/bag in the 2nd row before I drive to work. That was like a 5s deal. With the FWD, it take 20s and because I am not used to it, I need to be mentally present to get that job done (which I am usually not when doing routine mundane stuff).

In my previous cars, I used to always put my work laptop/bag in the 2nd row before I drive to work. That was like a 5s deal. With the FWD, it take 20s and because I am not used to it, I need to be mentally present to get that job done (which I am usually not when doing routine mundane stuff).
Same with me for groceries. I often just threw them in the footwell of the 2nd row, but now I just reach across to the passenger side because it's more straightforward than doing a falcon dance to get the bag in the 2nd row.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: GSP and NikeWings
sublime: An American ska band from the '90s.

Early in the morning, risin' to the street
Open up them falcon wings and strap shoes on my feet
Got to find a reason, a reason things went wrong
Got to find a reason why my money's all gone
I got a Model X, but I can still get by
It's in the Service Center 'til a week from this Fri

Lovin', is what I got, but not my Model X..

Also once the novelty of the FWDs wears off (already the case for us), I find the just too slow to open and close.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and X Yes?
sublime: An American ska band from the '90s.

Early in the morning, risin' to the street
Open up them falcon wings and strap shoes on my feet
Got to find a reason, a reason things went wrong
Got to find a reason why my money's all gone
I got a Model X, but I can still get by
It's in the Service Center 'til a week from this Fri

Lovin', is what I got, but not my Model X..

Brilliant!!

Frankly at this point, I just wanted an apology from Elon Musk to all Model X buyers for letting us down in terms of the build quality.

Reactions: TheQ and X Yes?