Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk: cabin-facing camera meant for robotaxis but open to other options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easy use for the camera....

Show the driver/passenger and then superimpose the animation showing the aim of the airflow on-top of the image so that it's WAY easier to point the vents where you really want them....

Not really possible to do this reliably. There's no 2nd camera, so how can you do 3d positioning of where the airflow should be going superimposed? Even if you could, it would probably be computationally intensive and sort of like those snapchat filters. Not sure wasting computing cycles on that is worth it.

They kinda do.

In fact it's the entire point of the system- and why things like the original Autopilot Buddy to "fool" such a system was banned by the NHTSA.

How bout just sunglasses? Which people pretty commonly wear while driving.

Or, say, night time? I hear some people drive when it's dark.

The Caddy advanced camera system can still see in these conditions and confirm eyes on the road-because it has the hardware to do so

The Cadillac CT6 review: Super Cruise is a game-changer

The Tesla does not.

OpenPilot uses just a regular camera. So it can be done. In fact, Tesla can have two independent forms of verification, torquing the wheel OR viewing looking at the road. If you are wearing glasses or it can't detect your eyes, you will need to torque the wheel.

Whatever dude, you obviously really want the Cadillac system - I don't want or need it thanks :)

This whole conversation sounds like the Lidar or HUD debacle, no need to keep it going, bye.

You're making absolutely 0 sense.

I'm correcting others who are asking it to be more like Caddys system.

Something for which Teslas lack the proper hardware.

If I'd wanted a Cadillac I'd have bought one- I really don't.

OpenPilot uses just a regular camera. So it can be done..

Open Pilot uses the Eon camera, specifically.

Driver Monitoring · Openpilot Documentation

Which is basically a heavily overclocked Oneplus 3T phone.

Whose camera is a 16 megapixel 4k HDR video sensor with image stabilization.

Not a simple 720p camera with 0 added features.

And even then the feature is incapable of monitoring where you're actually looking like the Caddy system with a much more advanced camera than even the Eon- it only checks head tilt- so you could be reading a book or a cell phone held below your head as long as your head was held up while doing it and the system couldn't tell.

So...still no.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Not a simple 720p camera with 0 added features.

And even then the feature is incapable of monitoring where you're actually looking like the Caddy system with a much more advanced camera than even the Eon- it only checks head tilt- so you could be reading a book or a cell phone held below your head as long as your head was held up while doing it and the system couldn't tell.

So...still no.

And with Cadillac system, you could park a 32 inch monitor behind the wheel and it won't be able to spot you watching a movie. At this point, you're just reaching.

Glad you've given up after being wrong so much.

If you find you're talking to yourself you might wish to seek professional help.

Not a professional engineer though since he'd also tell you the camera can't do what you keep mistakenly claiming it can no matter how many sourced links prove you incorrect :)

While we're at it- here's the dash of a CT6 (the one with Supercruise)- the one you suggested putting a 32" monitor in front of the driver of (that'd be on top of the raised/curved part behind the wheel)

ct6.jpg

Now here's a 32" display (with a person sitting in front of it for scale) to show you how ridiculously impossible yet another suggestion of yours turned out to be :)

32display.jpg

And with Cadillac system, you could park a 32 inch monitor behind the wheel and it won't be able to spot you watching a movie. At this point, you're just reaching.

Yeah... I am reaching :)

Anyway- to sum up the many reasons the M3 interior camera won't work as a driver attention monitor as you keep wrongly suggesting-

Resolution is relatively poor (your failed attempt at a counter example turned out to be a 4k HDR camera with image stabilization- that even then is less capable than the supercruise system, detecting only head position not eyes)

Camera can't really see in poor light, through sunglasses, or detect eye position and isn't meant for use outside visible spectrum (Caddy solves this by actually projecting light onto the driver only visible to the camera that's specifically built to look for it)

Camera is positioned totally wrong- it's placed to view all the passengers for robotaxi monitoring- (while the CT6 camera is actually mounted roughly in the middle of the steering wheel just above the horn pad- and directly looking up at the drivers face.)

Last edited:
Darn. There go my hopes of night vision and thermal imaging via a firmware update.

This whole “the car doesn’t have the hardware installed for that” thing is such a drag.

Maybe a future firmware update will address this issue.

To be fair the Model 3 didn’t support passive entry apparently and now we have the new remote that does.

So hopefully Tesla enables the rear RADAR cross-traffic alerts, IR camera in the car, vented seats, heated steering wheel, and the cold air thrusters that we all know are just firmware-disabled currently.

Not really possible to do this reliably. There's no 2nd camera, so how can you do 3d positioning of where the airflow should be going superimposed? Even if you could, it would probably be computationally intensive and sort of like those snapchat filters. Not sure wasting computing cycles on that is worth it.
Maybe my suggestion wasn't clear.... Currently the climate control animation shows air moving to "simulate" where you're directed it. If you are trying to aim it at your face you guess based off the render and tweak things until you get the vent actually aimed at or close to your face. If they rendered the animation on an image of the cabin(live or snapshot) it would make aiming the vents towards your face (or wherever you want to aim for) easy and quick. No second camera needed. The CPU cycles would only be consumed when adjusting air flow...

If you find you're talking to yourself you might wish to seek professional help.

Not a professional engineer though since he'd also tell you the camera can't do what you keep mistakenly claiming it can no matter how many sourced links prove you incorrect :)

While we're at it- here's the dash of a CT6 (the one with Supercruise)- the one you suggested putting a 32" monitor in front of the driver of (that'd be on top of the raised/curved part behind the wheel)

View attachment 469779

Now here's a 32" display (with a person sitting in front of it for scale) to show you how ridiculously impossible yet another suggestion of yours turned out to be :)

View attachment 469785

Note that there is space between the wheel and the dash. Monitors are flat these days. But you are one that constantly can't think outside the box even if your life depended on it. We call those people ... clowns.

Yeah... I am reaching :)

Anyway- to sum up the many reasons the M3 interior camera won't work as a driver attention monitor as you keep wrongly suggesting-

Resolution is relatively poor (your failed attempt at a counter example turned out to be a 4k HDR camera with image stabilization- that even then is less capable than the supercruise system, detecting only head position not eyes)

Camera can't really see in poor light, through sunglasses, or detect eye position and isn't meant for use outside visible spectrum (Caddy solves this by actually projecting light onto the driver only visible to the camera that's specifically built to look for it)

Camera is positioned totally wrong- it's placed to view all the passengers for robotaxi monitoring- (while the CT6 camera is actually mounted roughly in the middle of the steering wheel just above the horn pad- and directly looking up at the drivers face.)

As I said, in low light situations, the fail-over is to torque the wheel. Thinking outside the box. Something you have proven time and time again to be inept at.

Note that there is space between the wheel and the dash

I did. I also noted it's tremendously less than 32 inches of space.

If that remains unclear then an eye doctor needs to be added to the list of medical professionals you're clearly in need of :)

. Monitors are flat these days

.... you're trolling now, right?

They're flat front to back. They still have both significant height and width. A lot more than can actually fit where you suggested.

. But you are one that constantly can't think outside the box

I mean, I admit I do still restrict myself to the actual space, time, and reality in which we live... if you continue finding yourself unable to do so I again suggest professional help.

As I said, in low light situations, the fail-over is to torque the wheel.

Also in every other situation- since the camera isn't capable of the function in the first place for the numerous other reasons I listed that you keep ignoring.... (lack of sufficient resolution, lack of correct placement, lack of its own tracking illumination, etc)

Your inability to understand you can't make physically incapable hardware magically capable with software notwithstanding.

I did. I also noted it's tremendously less than 32 inches of space.

If that remains unclear then an eye doctor needs to be added to the list of medical professionals you're clearly in need of :)

.... you're trolling now, right?

They're flat front to back. They still have both significant height and width. A lot more than can actually fit where you suggested.

I mean, I admit I do still restrict myself to the actual space, time, and reality in which we live... if you continue finding yourself unable to do so I again suggest professional help.

Also in every other situation- since the camera isn't capable of the function in the first place for the numerous other reasons I listed that you keep ignoring.... (lack of sufficient resolution, lack of correct placement, lack of its own tracking illumination, etc)

Your inability to understand you can't make physically incapable hardware magically capable with software notwithstanding.
Hint, there is space in there, and it's not "on top of the raised/curved part behind the wheel". Go find it.

Are we seriously debating if it is theoretically possible to put a tv in front of your face while driving to fool auto steer software? What kind of Rube Goldberg hell have I stumbled into?

Last edited:
Are we seriously debating if it is theoretically possible to put a tv in front of your face while driving to fool auto steer software? What kind of Rube Goldberg hell have I stumbled into?

One built by an idiot who can't admit he's wrong about anything despite repeatedly having his claims debunked with sourced links and photos it seems

Maybe his brain needs an OTA update to fix it? :)