Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk confirms purpose of inside cabin camera

Are you going to activate the driver camera for autopilot?

• Yes, activate the camera, I'm tired of holding the wheel!

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • No, I''ll never do a software download again. Elon knows too much already.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • No, I already have black electrician's tape over the camera.

Votes: 14 27.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
images

Another thing that it could be used for, and one thing that bothers me from a privacy standpoint. If that camera is recording, insurance companies could theoretically be able to obtain that footage, and potentially use it to jack up your rates or deny coverage.

Here's my problem.

This is a clear Elon lie

how long have they known about T3 inside cam?

Elon says s and x flagship and will always have latest tech.

How many s and x did tesla sell knowing they would be dated with t3 release.. and now that it is officially launched. This is a clear lie.

Am I wrong?

Here's my problem.

This is a clear Elon lie

How many s and x did tesla sell knowing they would be dated with t3 release.. and now that it is officially launched. This is a clear lie.

Am I wrong?

I wouldn't consider it a lie, just progress. I'm sure an update will happen to the S/X soon to bring them up to date as well. Just like many of the other exterior cameras they aren't even using it yet. I personally think it's nice that they are thinking ahead.

Reactions: T-Will
Here's my problem.

This is a clear Elon lie

Am I wrong?
I'd hardly consider a camera "new tech". There's been a large misunderstanding of what Elon said about S/X being the technology leaders.

He said that they are not trying to intentionally withhold something from the Model 3, it's just that if there's a new technology it's inherently expensive and therefore will show up on the S/X until they can get the price down. A camera does not fit this criteria.

I'd hardly consider a camera "new tech". There's been a large misunderstanding of what Elon said about S/X being the technology leaders.

He said that they are not trying to intentionally withhold something from the Model 3, it's just that if there's a new technology it's inherently expensive and therefore will show up on the S/X until they can get the price down. A camera does not fit this criteria.

What do you think the main non retrofitable difference between AP1 and AP2 is?

Would you consider it an advancement of technology?

"With a new model coming this year, we know our customers will have questions about which car is right for them. One question we’ve been asked is, “Should I trade in my Model S for a Model 3?” While Model 3 will be our newest car, it isn’t “Version 3” or the next generation Tesla. Our higher priced premium models still include the most advanced technology and the best driving experience we have to offer."

If EM straight up does lie. Sky is orange type of lie. I assume 30% of TMC would find a way to make the sky orange.

"With a new model coming this year, we know our customers will have questions about which car is right for them. One question we’ve been asked is, “Should I trade in my Model S for a Model 3?” While Model 3 will be our newest car, it isn’t “Version 3” or the next generation Tesla. Our higher priced premium models still include the most advanced technology and the best driving experience we have to offer."

If EM straight up does lie. Sky is orange type of lie. I assume 30% of TMC would find a way to make the sky orange.
The extensive wiring harness. It'd cost too much in labor to rewire the cars.

and yes I'd consider it an advancement of technology... which is why we saw it on S/X (and also because the 3 wasn't out yet.).

Check out 2016 shareholders meeting and his comments on S/X technology and how it relates to the three. Let me help you out
1:08:57

That video adds to the arguement of "Elon lied"

Tech will first show up in s and x.. well, It didn't.
And door pockets aren't on the Model S... does that upset you? What about a lighted mirror? Does that lighting technology make you go :mad:

Wait until you hear about the super advanced coat hanger technology... mind = blown!

Last edited:
Reactions: EchoDelta and Runt8
And door pockets aren't on the Model S... does that upset you? What about a lighted mirror? Does that lighting technology make you go :mad:

Wait until you hear about the super advanced coat hanger technology... mind = blown!

Internet argument wise I'm going to go ahead and chalk that up as a win for me with a response like that.

I feel like I am coming off as trollish so I'm going to leave this dead horse alone. My point was I don't agree with Tesla strategy. It seems that early adopters have Teslas back more than Tesla has early adopters back "that made all this possible".

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
My point was I don't agree with Tesla strategy. It seems that early adopters have Teslas back more than Tesla has early adopters back "that made all this possible".
The thing is, you are misinterpreting their strategy, you'll have to take my word for it. Everything was leading up to Model 3. Everything they can do for the Model 3 they will if it's scalable and costs are low.

New possibly buggy stuff will find its way to Model S/X and as Elon mentioned, after a few iterations and when they can get costs down then it will find its way into Model 3. This doesn't mean all new tech... it means expensive stuff.

A $3 camera sensor is easy and I'll bet anything that it will find its way into S/X after the S redesign. It's coming soon.

Here's my problem.

This is a clear Elon lie

Am I wrong?
I wouldn't say that you are wrong, however I would say that you are inconsiderately correct. You could have phrased it a little less insulting because its not a problem for me.

A lie means that you are intentionally not telling the truth. I don't think he is doing that.

Reactions: JeffK
I wouldn't say that you are wrong, however I would say that you are inconsiderately correct. You could have phrased it a little less insulting because its not a problem for me.

A lie means that you are intentionally not telling the truth. I don't think he is doing that.

Fair.

I guess anti selling 3 (in my eyes) was more about profiting off s and x sales (vs not selling 3). So in that sense it seems intentional. How long did they know about interior 3 cam?... or better phrased, How many s and x did they sell without inside cam since 3 launch. We find out more and more why 3 interior pic was animation even on the launch day.

Fair.

I guess anti selling 3 (in my eyes) was more about profiting off s and x sales (vs not selling 3). So in that sense it seems intentional. How long did they know about interior 3 cam?... or better phrased, How many s and x did they sell without inside cam since 3 launch. We find out more and more why 3 interior pic was animation even on the launch day.
Elon explained the anti selling campaign and if he's telling the truth it has nothing to do with the Model S nor the Model X as soooo many people speculated.

He doesn't want anyone ordering the car with over a years wait to get it. He must have some data that says " A car company shouldn't have people waiting that long". So then he says "Get yourself a Model S - Its available now".

That sounds fair to me.

New rule. If you hit disagree you have to say why. I asked two questions, made an assumption, and copy pasted and exact quote. What do you disagree with?

Reactions: JeffK