Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk confirms purpose of inside cabin camera

Are you going to activate the driver camera for autopilot?

• Yes, activate the camera, I'm tired of holding the wheel!

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • No, I''ll never do a software download again. Elon knows too much already.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • No, I already have black electrician's tape over the camera.

Votes: 14 27.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to see what the camera sees. That would be interesting.

I wonder if that camera can see through the glass....like my eyeballs do.

I don't want it "sentrying" everything that happens within 10 yards of my car.
I think that's a great idea. If the camera can do HDR sure it could record both inside and outside. Or they could adjust the camera based on the outside lighting and interior be damned.

I await the compilation of that poor rear camera's final moments.
Watching people texting while driving/crashing video montage?

The photos of Tesla drivers asleep at the wheel and putting weights in the steering wheel are going to push Tesla to activate the rear view mirror camera to monitor the driver behavior in autopilot. When that software release come out will you download it? Put tape over the camera? Will you download it and be happy you won't need your hand on the wheel anymore?

I'm not ready to remove my hands from the wheel. I do use AutoSteer all the time, but my hands are on the wheel. I can feel it twice and catch it before it puts me at any sort of risk.

I don't think the camera is at an angle that will help anyway. And the sunglasses problem with a regular camera.

This has been covered exhaustively in other threads.

The HW in the car was never designed or intended for this task and is simply not capable of doing this job in any useful or reliable way. Low quality camera, in the wrong place, at the wrong angle, with no interior lighting of any kind to support its use for this purpose.

Look at what Caddy did to make this happen- much more advanced camera- in a totally different location/angle- and with IR to handle lighting conditions. And even THEN it doesn't work 100% of the time (has some issues with really bright sunlight in some conditions)

The HW in the car was never designed or intended for this task and is simply not capable of doing this job in any useful or reliable way. Low quality camera, in the wrong place, at the wrong angle, with no interior lighting of any kind to support its use for this purpose.

Look at what Caddy did to make this happen- much more advanced camera- in a totally different location/angle- and with IR to handle lighting conditions. And even THEN it doesn't work 100% of the time (has some issues with really bright sunlight in some conditions)

100% this.

That said, there might be something "obvious" (as far as machine image parsing goes) for detecting bad cases if there is sufficient lighting. I would support Tesla implementing some very basic system that depends on a lot of ideal conditions in order to reliably detect the worst cases (driver asleep, driver handling a phone) when possible, even if it doesn't work at night. Even the cases we've seen of sleeping drivers with AP are during daylight (though I'm sure some happen at night that just go unnoticed).

EDIT: But of course the phone detection scenario could potentially be gamed (which may actually make the driver do something more dangerous to avoid detection by the car), so I don't know if that's all that great of an option.

What is it designed to do if not to monitor driver?

• Funny
Reactions: silenteski
Sleeping drivers are nothing new and they cause many, many accidents in normal cars.

People are not necessarily falling asleep because of autopilot...
They might be alive despite falling asleep, because of autopilot.

They'd possibly fall asleep anyway. Because of autopilot, we see them get chided by newscasters showing viral videos instead of just crashing and being one of many that nobody bothers to make news stories about.

Reactions: israndy and Puddles
Robotaxi passenger monitoring.

Yup- as explicitly stated by Elon.

If it was intended for driver monitoring it'd be on the steering wheel/column (like Caddy and now Ford are doing) actually pointed at the drivers face-- it'd be a more sophisticated camera like Caddy/Ford are doing-- and it'd have some kinda of IR/Laser illumination to handle low light situations as Caddy/Ford do.

The Tesla camera does none of those things that would be needed to accomplish this task in any really useful way.

Reactions: JenniferH
Those are weird questions in the poll. Who uses electricians tape to cover cameras when a postit will do? And why would you want to have a camera look at you instead of holding the wheel. Don't wanna have to keep my eye on the road when the car is already doing that. I use my peripheral vision and the feel of the wheel turning when I don't expect it.

Those are weird questions in the poll. Who uses electricians tape to cover cameras when a postit will do? And why would you want to have a camera look at you instead of holding the wheel. Don't wanna have to keep my eye on the road when the car is already doing that. I use my peripheral vision and the feel of the wheel turning when I don't expect it.

Why would you put a yellow post it over a small camera in your Tesla?