Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced about a 1 sec lag. Its driving me nuts. Everything on steering wheel and screen has a bad lag. I did both resets and shutdown. Also navigation and trips. Dont know it's a mcu issue or normal. It's been doing this since February. I have a 17 MS 75

I have the AP2 + MCU1 combination... Past two weeks I`ve been having an odd set of problems that a two-screen reboot didn`t fix:

- GPS doesn`t work (always shows me at home, which is not great for long trips that require charging)
- FW updates fail (5 tries so far)
- Climate won`t stay on (says the battery is low, even when it`s at 80%+)
- Screen dimming doesn`t work automatically (need to set t manually)

And a series of small glitches. Does this look like an MCU problem to you?

Ah. 13 pages for this thread just to get to the true question. You won't find the answer in all 13 pages. This remains one of the universe's greatest mysteries.
I have the AP2 + MCU1 combination... Past two weeks I`ve been having an odd set of problems that a two-screen reboot didn`t fix:

- GPS doesn`t work (always shows me at home, which is not great for long trips that require charging)
- FW updates fail (5 tries so far)
- Climate won`t stay on (says the battery is low, even when it`s at 80%+)
- Screen dimming doesn`t work automatically (need to set t manually)

And a series of small glitches. Does this look like an MCU problem to you?
What does your service center think?

Upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 is doable, it just require swapping of IC and ECU unit. But it's not something that Tesla will do willingly. They still manufacture MCU1 units for replacements , at least as of end of last year.

Starting with fw 2019.12 they added a script to the MCU1 firmware called profile_xfer_utility.sh that can backup up your settings to Tesla's servers so that they can be restored onto an intel MCU2 unit.

Maybe that there so the profiles can be restored to a replacement MCU1 unit? What specifically about that script makes it clear that it's for upgrading to MCU2 and not just MCU1 backup/restore? Say, for instance, if you have an MCU1 or MCU2 as a loaner car, you can restore all your own settings for the duration your car is in service.

I would bet on that happening long before, and if, MCU2 upgrades become available.

Maybe that there so the profiles can be restored to a replacement MCU1 unit? What specifically about that script makes it clear that it's for upgrading to MCU2 and not just MCU1 backup/restore? Say, for instance, if you have an MCU1 or MCU2 as a loaner car, you can restore all your own settings for the duration your car is in service.

True, but I hope @appleguru is right too!!!

Reactions: technoz

I would bet on that happening long before, and if, MCU2 upgrades become available.

# Intel UI profile data backup and restore utility

Script and API also reference "computer_replacement" so seems pretty darn clear to me what it is intended to be used for...

Also they already have a routine for MCU1 to MCU1 in toolbox, so this is definitely something new.

I remain skeptical we'll see an opt-in MCU1->MCU2 upgrade program. Too many other things to focus on to solve a problem that's not really a problem.

Also if it happens, we should be prepared for the possibility that it's only for newer cars. I can't picture them wanting to support AP1+MCU2 or Pre-AP+MCU2, for instance. :eek:

Bruce.