Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The browser in v9 MCU 1 pretty much does not run until you use the sketch pad to prevent the map from rendering.
They have a bug in Traffic (in Map) that causes it to update 1,000 times as often as it should (programmer unit error and failure to test); just turn off Traffic. While turning on Sketch Pad is better, turning off Traffic at least lets the thing function, even with the map up, so you can still use traffic-less maps at least, as well as browse (and use Tesla Waze or A Better Route Planner or whatever else MCU1 does).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer and Nrazar
Turning traffic off helps, but not enough. For me, the only thing that works good enough (or actually not really) is to use the sketch pad. It is sad to be disabling feature A B and C to get feature D to sort of barely work.

The browser is important because Tesla doesn’t allow 3rd party apps, so it is a crude window to extend functionality of the car massive touch screen.

I just did a factory restore.
Very interesting, car reboots a few times. Then I had to re-add my wifi, name the car again, re-add my favourite destinations.
It seems to be very smooth now.
I am interested in trying this but I don't want to loose trip meter readings (A and B) and associated kWhs. Can you confirm if you lost above with factory reset and what else gets reset? Thanks

I am interested in trying this but I don't want to loose trip meter readings (A and B) and associated kWhs. Can you confirm if you lost above with factory reset and what else gets reset? Thanks
You lose everything. It’s like picking up a new car. Even the car name is blank.
Odometer is the only thing that does change (unfortunately!).

How do I do it?
Go into the Settings and go to the Service section.
There's an option there called Reset to Factory or something like that (not at car at present),

I can report after two days everything is still much smoother. Another benefit seems to be that the icons in my Spotify and TuneIn used to occasionally be blank (or go blank) for some of the stations/podcasts I subscribed to. Since resetting they all show the right icon, and none have dropped off.

The only pain was re-adding my favourite navi destinations. Interestingly the car prompted me "If you just bought this car, let Tesla know so they can sort out your app access". I thought that was fair enough but it prompted me again the morning after when I got in the car to go to work.

• Informative
Reactions: Nrazar and brkaus
Go into the Settings and go to the Service section.
There's an option there called Reset to Factory or something like that (not at car at present),

I can report after two days everything is still much smoother. Another benefit seems to be that the icons in my Spotify and TuneIn used to occasionally be blank (or go blank) for some of the stations/podcasts I subscribed to. Since resetting they all show the right icon, and none have dropped off.

The only pain was re-adding my favourite navi destinations. Interestingly the car prompted me "If you just bought this car, let Tesla know so they can sort out your app access". I thought that was fair enough but it prompted me again the morning after when I got in the car to go to work.

Well hopefully that stops soon otherwise I won’t click that button just yet

• Funny
Reactions: am_dmd
Great video. The explanation why excessive (& as it turns out, unnecessary) writes of linux subsystem logs to the eMMC chip eventually causes MCU failure is enlightening. Makes me worry about owning an MCU1 car out of warranty...

I hope such great and detailed video will be watched by the Tesla dev responsible and the next update will disable the unnecessary logging.
I can’t help but think that it primary indeed is wrong for the mcu’s lifetime, but secondarily can improve the overall performance.

Reactions: commasign