Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW my late 2016 S90D had the yellow border, and mobile service replaced the screen (in my garage) under 1 hours of labor. So Tesla is getting dialed in on replacing these. And yes it was only the LCD screen, not the whole MCU. So don't see any reason for paying for a MCU2 upgrade. My $250 dash cam that snaps onto the rear view mirror housing and uses power already present give me everything I need.

So, now that Musk has said he's upgrading the Autopilot hardware, will that also provide those who have 2.0 without dashcam functionality get the dashcam functionality too? Tesla aims for new neural net computer in production in 6 months, results in 500-2000% increase in ops/sec, says Elon Musk

Tesla is not upgrading Autopilot hardware. What has been stated is that those who have pre-purchased FSD will be upgraded to HW3 Tesla's own NN chip. No HW2 or HW2.5 upgrades otherwise.

• Helpful
Reactions: TrevTremaine
So, now that Musk has said he's upgrading the Autopilot hardware, will that also provide those who have 2.0 without dashcam functionality get the dashcam functionality too? Tesla aims for new neural net computer in production in 6 months, results in 500-2000% increase in ops/sec, says Elon Musk

FSD purchasers only.

No, I would doubt it. Dashcam was never on any promise list when AP2 cars like mine were being sold

Edit to add - MCU2 has nothing to do with dash cam. There are many MCU1 cars with AP2.5 hardware that have dash cam now.

Last edited:
How upgraded is the Bluetooth? The reason I ask is I have a 75D loaner right now with MCU2. Using the same phone connected to my P85D it sounds light years better. Almost like HD quality.

I often have to have people repeat things they say in my car but in this loaner it's as if they are standing next to me.

How upgraded is the Bluetooth? The reason I ask is I have a 75D loaner right now with MCU2. Using the same phone connected to my P85D it sounds light years better. Almost like HD quality.

I often have to have people repeat things they say in my car but in this loaner it's as if they are standing next to me.
BT was improved before MCU2. I have a 2015 MS, my wife had a 2017 with MCU1 and its hands-free was so much better than mine. She has 2018 MCU2 now, also very good. I tried swapping microphones between 2017/2015, no change for my car. From my observations, the biggest difference is that 2015 is louder inside (road noise) than 2017 and 2018. There might have been additional improvements in the BT module, but likely that sound insulation is the biggest culprit in the 2015 BT being so noisy.

• Informative
Reactions: Litigate28
I won't use the word shocked, but maybe surprised at how much improvement there is build wise between my car and this 2018 75D. It feels almost like a different car. So quiet, the BT quality, and MCU2 is noticeably faster. All that said, it also made me realize why I paid the premium to get the P85D vs. just a regular D. The acceleration just does not compare whatsoever.

More info in the MCU2 retrofit thread; MCU2 - Retrofit

APU upgrades are supposedly easy as the board is behind the glove box and both easily accessible and pin compatible.
Iirc the new hardware with the TRIP (Tesla real-time image processing?) chip is supposed to be rolled out in early 2019 and will be used to upgrade those who paid for FSD.

Given that's a substantial number of retrofits, I think they will have to start retrofitting right away. Many vehicles will be out of their service life by the time Tesla arrives at an FSD which would require a next gen hardware platform.

The difference between AP2 and AP2.5 is not just the APU but also the cameras, so it remains to be seen if the upgrade to HW3/TRIP will include a camera swap.

Iirc the new hardware with the TRIP (Tesla real-time image processing?) chip is supposed to be rolled out in early 2019 and will be used to upgrade those who paid for FSD.

Given that's a substantial number of retrofits, I think they will have to start retrofitting right away. Many vehicles will be out of their service life by the time Tesla arrives at an FSD which would require a next gen hardware platform.

I believe they will only upgrade the computers once its required. As of today there is no such thing as FSD and apparently the currently set of features can be done using the 'old' computer.

The upgrades will only be done once it's really required. I don't see that happening within a few months. Traffic light recognition is apparently possible with current tech for example

This topic is about mcu2. It has nothing to do with FSD or HW3.

MCU2 is about the center display.

The HW3/FSD computer is called "APE3" and that's an independent, separately promised, hopefully we can actually get it (but let's be honest most of what Elon promises is a pipe dream) computer.

Well the moment they offer anything only possible with HW3 they better have an installation date for me, I've waited long enough, 2 years now, for them to deliver on some of their promises.
Next car will be electric, but it's less and less likely to be a Tesla. Too much overpromise too much underdeliver.

"Too much overpromise too much underdeliver" is how I would characterize legacy auto manufacturers for the last 10 years. Lots of concept EVs, big promises and a few half-assed vehicles that you can actually buy. Not to mention emission cheating with their ICE lineup. So if you are going to pick a manufacturer based on their track record, which one is it going to be?

I won't use the word shocked, but maybe surprised at how much improvement there is build wise between my car and this 2018 75D. It feels almost like a different car. So quiet, the BT quality, and MCU2 is noticeably faster. All that said, it also made me realize why I paid the premium to get the P85D vs. just a regular D. The acceleration just does not compare whatsoever.
I'll give you one thing MCU1 has over MCU2 - always on mode. My wide had an MCU1, but due to totaling the car she now has MCU2. It takes forever for MCU2 to wake compared to MCU1. Before Tesla made some improvements recently, the app would time out often for my wife trying to pre-heat the car remotely. I have sleep disabled on my MCU1 and it comes up nice and fast. MCU2 takes much longer and still times out occasionally (even while at home, plugged in, with WiFi AP in the garage).

"Too much overpromise too much underdeliver" is how I would characterize legacy auto manufacturers for the last 10 years. Lots of concept EVs, big promises and a few half-assed vehicles that you can actually buy. Not to mention emission cheating with their ICE lineup. So if you are going to pick a manufacturer based on their track record, which one is it going to be?
Well, the race is on whether the traditional car makers will actually deliver their electric cars (Porsche, Audi and Daimler are on track with their production run up for this and next year) or Tesla to deliver FSD.
Note Tesla took money for FSD and promised it only needing validation and approval two years ago, while the others only took reservation money (as with the M3).
I'd certainly wish Tesla would win that race, but after waiting two years and experiencing the appallingly slow progress catching up to AP1 (remember, in 2016 FSD only needed "validation" and AP2 would be at feature parity w/ AP1 end of 2016!) I'm not gonna hold my breath. Yeah I know the Mobileye breakup story that became known later. I'll stop spamming this thread with OT now, the whole AP promises debacle has been discussed ad nauseum.