TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Musk confirms/Tesla Refutes upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2

Discussion in 'Model S' started by emmz0r, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Nrazar

Nrazar Member

Since I factory reset my MCU, I have had a broken display and profile on my car. They are replacing it and I wonder if it’s true they will put a MCU2 in instead per the tweet

2. Krash

Krash Data Technician

That would make you the first.

• Funny x 1
  3. whitex

whitex Active Member

No, not at all. Maybe some people did. Others, if not all, may have handed over their $100K because they believed the promise that the car will continue to function same or better at least least under warranty, though I bet expect the car to live beyond the 4 years. And yet, the browser died during people's bumper to bumper warranty and Tesla won't fix it - MCU2 would be a fix because we know MCU2 works. My car will be out of warranty in 3 days, then Tesla can say, "not our problem anymore" because they waited me out? There are other Elon/Tesla promises which I'm sure factored into purchases but let's just take this one - how many people do you think assumed the car would remain at least as function as when they bought it, when spending $100K? Just a few? Now, isn't that preposterous?

Your baseless assertion is called a "false premise". You stating that something is showing implies that it exists. In this case, I am not at all jealous of Elon, hence it cannot be showing, hence your statement cannot apply.

You despair that the public education system didn't teach them that they should not expect the product they buy for $100K to be fully functional for at least however long the warranty lasts, if not longer? What would you have schools teach people - screw of be screwed? Having faith in people's word is what a lot of society is based around. If everyone assumes everyone else is lying and out to screw them, the society as we know will collapse.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
  4. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

I hear there are tons of MCU1's around, you are not getting a 2.

5. DukeofURL

DukeofURL Member

I don't think it's as much jealousy, just that negativity is en vogue on TMC. I personally can't imagine how awful it must feel to spend your whole day angry on the internet.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  6. rooter

rooter Member

Word. If it's not jealousy then whitex must be a Short on the losing end. He definitely has something personal and resentful against Elon if you look at his posting history. (despite his denials)

Amusingly too, he's politically a reactionary, but yet prefers to not take that 'personal responsibility' they are so big on, when it matters. He recently asked us to buy a car for his SON! Apparently his son can't/won't do it on his own, like most of us had to.

• Disagree x 4
  7. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

That would be another false premise. When someone calls you a liar, don't confirm it with more lies!

8. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

To all participants, please keep discussions on-topic and civil.

Thank you,

Bruce
    (one of your friendly moderators)

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  9. ebyard

ebyard Member

I am on my 3rd MCU (MCU 1, July 2016 car..) and the last one was replaced due to the yellow banding issue which was pretty terrible. Tesla have agreed to replace my screen when the new unit is available - hopefully this year. Good news as my car is about to run out of warranty...

I would be happy to pay for an MCU2 upgrade; but I am guessing it won't be cheap.......

10. drklain

drklain Member

Just to be clear. Have they replaced your MCU three times of the MCU screen? Those are far different things...

• Helpful x 1
  11. whitex

whitex Active Member

#391 whitex, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Well, you're poking in the dark, "must be this, must be that". You did finally got one right. I do have some resentment towards Elon for taking money for thing and never delivering (I mean never, not "it might show up one day"). Not going to list all the things here, you seem to be familiar with my post history, so you already know what they are.

See, you misunderstood again, or looked at my offer through your own polarized lens. I offered to provide a free service to you so you can make money, not for you to subsidize my son. The offer was simple, you buy a model 3 today to $50K, you take my offer for me to insure and maintain it while my son drives it around collecting thousands of miles of data for Tesla to develop FSD, then you get your car back in 2-3 years worth $250K, as per Elon's recent claims! Maybe, just maybe, if the offer looked like me asking for a handout, it's because you know Elon's claims are simply not true? This is why I conditioned my offer - you must trust Elon, and you only make the money if Elon statements come true.

• Love x 2
  12. whitex

whitex Active Member

Why on earth would Tesla sell a car for $50K in 2 years if they could just let it loose on the streets to bring back $250K? If they make 500,000 of them a year, that's $125B! Every car they sell at $50K is giving up $200K in revenue (or more, according to you). So, the only way Tesla is not getting yelled at by investors for giving up $200K per car, is if they sell the new cars at $250K, hence my offer should be appealing to you, $50K now, support Tesla by collecting data miles, when you get it back you can sell it for profit or let it bring you $250K in ride share profit.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

Let me just point out that you guys are arguing over a freaking Tweet from a CEO who's known to have a history of "facts" that never come true FSD, Timelines, Production, Vehicle Options, Service Promises, etc...

• Like x 6
  14. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

• Like x 2
  15. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

IIRC all 2016's are MCU1. It works without issues on my 2016 75D. Can't speak for everyone but I know it's working for me.

16. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

How. My mcu1 browser never works. Just a white screen. If i reboot it works for 10 minutes. Then white screen. Repeat cycle

• Like x 2
  17. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

Me too

• Like x 1
  18. sauce

sauce :P

#398 sauce, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Turn off dynamic traffic on your navigation maps. Switch from streaming to radio. Reboot. Open Sketch Pad from Easter Eggs. Then reopen your browser and voilà! you should have a *functional* browser. Well... somewhat. :D

• Funny x 1
  19. whitex

whitex Active Member

You forgot to spit over the left shoulder and chant "Browser GOD, I summon thee" 420 times. If that doesn't work, your car is just too old, time to buy a new one. :p

• Funny x 1
  20. Alset4S

Alset4S Member

Have no idea how. It just works. I really hadn't used browser previously so can't speak about using it to surf the web but works just fine for me with the app for Spotify. I use none of the tricks sketch pad etc.