Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then why does Elon keep dangling this?

Because I truly believe he thinks it's possible, or at one time "MCU1 Retrofit" was on the original list or requirements, and that never came to be reality. Or his engineers are saying it's not possible/feasible, and he says nothing is impossible and still believes it can happen. But the cost and payback for Tesla just doesn't make sense no matter how you cut it. I think there would be such a small number of people who would request and pay for such an upgrade. The number on TMC is huge, but the number of the general Tesla population? Tiny. I think most people don't know or don't care about the differences. Just go by how many people you run into at superchargers that don't know about the A/B pairing? (most people, in my experience). They're not going to be requesting or demanding an MCU retrofit.

@HankLloydRight I've assumed that MCU2 could still drive the old IC over the bus. May limit features. I would think an integrated IC controller could facilitate displaying video on the IC. Any chance of this? Also, old antennas would still work if they simply disabled 5ghz WiFi.

I wouldn't assume anything! If the processing for the IC was moved from the MCU1-IC to onboard MCU2, I'm not sure that MCU2 would still be able to send the old signaling to an old IC. That just seems like a Frankenstein/hybrid system that would never be supported in the firmware (without major hacking).

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
It's not a 'drop-in' replacement. The wiring harness are different. The instrument cluster also needs to be replaced as it's just a screen driven by MCU2 and not a separated computing unit like MCU1. People have said there are different antennas in the folding mirrors (and a different harness there too). And replacing an entire wiring harness isn't for the faint of heart. Sure, it probably could be done, but it's far from easy or straightforward and by the time you're done, you are better of buying a new car. :)

It would be pretty simple to develop a wiring harness adapter.

It's not a 'drop-in' replacement. The wiring harness are different. The instrument cluster also needs to be replaced as it's just a screen driven by MCU2 and not a separated computing unit like MCU1. People have said there are different antennas in the folding mirrors (and a different harness there too). And replacing an entire wiring harness isn't for the faint of heart. Sure, it probably could be done, but it's far from easy or straightforward and by the time you're done, you are better of buying a new car. :)

So if we said it’s a $7500 upgrade, then we should be in the ballpark. It would be interesting to have Tesla confirm/deny that. Or even give the parts and price list.

Seems crazy, until you price out a wrap, tinted windows and new rims and tires. Not sure I’d move forward, but I would think about it.

@HankLloydRight I've assumed that MCU2 could still drive the old IC over the bus. May limit features. I would think an integrated IC controller could facilitate displaying video on the IC. Any chance of this? Also, old antennas would still work if they simply disabled 5ghz WiFi.
I believe you mentioned before that there are some things that the old IC reads from the car to display, but other things that the old IC reads from the MCU to display, like audio track name, picture, length, etc. MCU2 may not have implemented output of that data since currently there is no IC2, just MCU2 display number two.

I am curious as to what would happen if the 5G antenna were simply jumped to the old antenna. I assume there is no Bluetooth key solution at all though for a simple retrofit without re-running the Bluetooth antenna on previously MCU1 cars.

As was said, some people have a lot invested in their cars (wrap, wheels, perhaps custom dashcam installs, perhaps the custom front camera, etc.). But yeah who knows how much the MCU upgrade would be for the MCU and the IC and this perhaps custom wiring harness adapter. That’s a whole ‘nother project with pros and cons.

Seriously, for the new battery tech and all, I might be looking at a Y in any case a year from now. <sigh>

I believe you mentioned before that there are some things that the old IC reads from the car to display, but other things that the old IC reads from the MCU to display, like audio track name, picture, length, etc. MCU2 may not have implemented output of that data since currently there is no IC2, just MCU2 display number two.

I am curious as to what would happen if the 5G antenna were simply jumped to the old antenna. I assume there is no Bluetooth key solution at all though for a simple retrofit without re-running the Bluetooth antenna on previously MCU1 cars.

That data should easily be available from MCU2, just make sure the software is compiled with those features enabled if they're not already there. It reads them over the Ethernet connection which still is used on MCU2.

Another potential solution would be for MCU2 installed as a retrofit to encode the second screen output as an H264 stream and then replace the IC software to just play back that stream constantly. That would make going forward easy as they won't have to develop any software for the old IC computer anymore and the MCU software wouldn't even have to know/care about how the second display is being output.

Reactions: VValleyEV
That data should easily be available from MCU2, just make sure the software is compiled with those features enabled if they're not already there. It reads them over the Ethernet connection which still is used on MCU2.

Another potential solution would be for MCU2 installed as a retrofit to encode the second screen output as an H264 stream and then replace the IC software to just play back that stream constantly. That would make going forward easy as they won't have to develop any software for the old IC computer anymore and the MCU software wouldn't even have to know/care about how the second display is being output.

Should be fine with lossless. with h264 you would have compression and lag

And who at Tesla is going to authorize all that new development and cost just to support a handful of retrofits? It’s easy to describe new functionality as “just make it do x” but there’s a lot of new coding and testing to do what you propose as well as regression testing to make sure it doesn’t break or interfere with existing functionality that works. And we know Tesla is horrible at testing and bug fixing. I just don’t see Tesla spending one minute on creating an interface for a hybrid MCU2+IC1 configuration.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah and rnortman
So the MCU in my AP1 2015 Model S was replaced a few weeks ago with an MCU2. Accidentally. For one day.

Yep, my MCU was scheduled to be replaced under warranty and the mobile ranger came out and installed the MCU2 not realizing it was an MCU1 car. And it worked. Sorta. Everything in the car worked except the MCU2 would not read the VIN number. After going back and forth with the techs on the phone they realized their error and removed the MCU2 and put in the correct MCU1 (this process took several days).

But it did work with the MCU2. The car drove. The displays were fully functional. The only error I saw was lack of a VIN number.

Muskator just confirmed again that you can upgrade your MCU to MCU2: (this must be 4th time)

Twitter

Lot of people commenting that you can't. People here should comment too so he sees it.

(Note: Technically he could be replying only to the LTE part, but I believe that's very unlikely due to the question being so specific about missing out on Beach Buggy etc...)
See, I'm not new here. I know things.

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki and SO16
My 2 year old car already needs so many upgrades. MCU2, AP3 for sentry and dashcam (I’m on 2), CCS retrofit etc. I’m very well aware Tesla is a fast pace company. I’m willing to pay for it. If not I’ll do these upgrades myself when warranty is over.
I know what you mean. I made the mistake of checking the current Model S pricing and features. For $5,000 more than I paid 2.5 years ago I could get a way better car with a 160 more miles of range. On one hand I feel like a dumb ass for buying a Tesla too early, and on the other hand I think Tesla's rate of innovation is amazing. When my TSLA is worth millions hopefully I will quit kicking myself.

I know what you mean. I made the mistake of checking the current Model S pricing and features. For $5,000 more than I paid 2.5 years ago I could get a way better car with a 160 more miles of range. On one hand I feel like a dumb ass for buying a Tesla too early, and on the other hand I think Tesla's rate of innovation is amazing. When my TSLA is worth millions hopefully I will quit kicking myself.
I purchased mine over six years ago. I don't regret the 126K miles of fun driving, even though I would like AP and FSD. When TSLA increases, I'll go for an X mostly because of the range and the ease of entry for my friends. Because Tesla stopped shipping the Pano roof, there's no point to the S over the X anymore.

And who at Tesla is going to authorize all that new development and cost just to support a handful of retrofits? It’s easy to describe new functionality as “just make it do x” but there’s a lot of new coding and testing to do what you propose as well as regression testing to make sure it doesn’t break or interfere with existing functionality that works. And we know Tesla is horrible at testing and bug fixing. I just don’t see Tesla spending one minute on creating an interface for a hybrid MCU2+IC1 configuration.
The key here is making the difference in the new configuration negligible.

I assume there is a software flag whether the signals required by IC1 should be available on some ethernet port on the MCU or not. Or maybe the they are always available on that port, even or MCU2, just not used by the IC2.

The server that hosts these signals required by IC1 does not care much if it runs on MCU1 or MCU2. It's a very simple piece of code.

It's a very easy software problem to introduce MCU2+IC1 without adding nearly anything to the code, and requiring almost no new unit tests / integration tests. One just needs to think simple, and not overcomplicate things. A video stream to IC1 is just not going to happen.

• Love
Reactions: GSP