Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One other benefit for MCU2: the screen’s backlight uses a much higher PWM refresh rate (possibly even delta sigma?), so it does not flicker on camera when dimmed down like the MCU1 screen does.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves with MCU1 aside from the fact that it can be very slow...
I’ve never noticed any flicker and I keep my screens fully dimmed.

Thanks. Then this workaround seems to establish yet another reason for getting rid of the V9 constant foreground map rendering which lots of owners have already and persistently asked for. Not to mention that the Tesla decided to have the map up all the time unnecessarily when it cripples the browser performance. Never understood the importance of their decision.

Turn on sketchpad..keep it in the background....this will disable the map refresh...make browser a little bit more decent.
This method works very well.

So, I've read on a Tesla thread on Facebook that HW2.0 won't be able to handle FSD (according through service staff). So, if you've bought FSD, I assume that now may require further hardware upgrades. Has anyone heard similar? Of course, as far as I'm concerned it's hearsay until someone can corroborate this.
The way I understand it.

If you have AP2 or AP2.5, and you have FSD, you'll get the AP3 hardware upgrade for free when it becomes available. The schedule of installs will be very long. We also heard Elon mention that the AP3 hardware upgrade is a simple upgrade. Replace the current unit with the new unit. It's behind the glove box.

In fact if you remove the side panel when the front doors are open, you can actually see it sitting right there.

Elon even mentioned that this can be done by Mobile Service. I assume that once it's done, they will (1) Upgrade to the latest TeslaOS, and (2) update your Option Code to reflect AP3 for FSD.

The way I understand it.

If you have AP2 or AP2.5, and you have FSD, you'll get the AP3 hardware upgrade for free when it becomes available. The schedule of installs will be very long. We also heard Elon mention that the AP3 hardware upgrade is a simple upgrade. Replace the current unit with the new unit. It's behind the glove box.

In fact if you remove the side panel when the front doors are open, you can actually see it sitting right there.

Elon even mentioned that this can be done by Mobile Service. I assume that once it's done, they will (1) Upgrade to the latest TeslaOS, and (2) update your Option Code to reflect AP3 for FSD.

And that is the way I understand it to be. The guy who posted it was under the impression that service staff were saying otherwise about HW2.0 being upgradeable - which seems to fly in the face of what you (and I) understand about it.

So, I've read on a Tesla thread on Facebook that HW2.0 won't be able to handle FSD (according through service staff). So, if you've bought FSD, I assume that now may require further hardware upgrades. Has anyone heard similar? Of course, as far as I'm concerned it's hearsay until someone can corroborate this.

If you you just bought the car it needs to be upgraded, even if you opted-out for FSD. You bought a car that was hardware ready for FSD. So it needs to be hardware ready.