Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service Center in Norway just told me again today that they have no available information about MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade. Elon did however confirm upgrade was possible almost a year ago.

Please like and retweet my question to Elon about this to make it more visible to him:
Twitter

Just because Elon says it can be done it doesn't mean it will be done. I know, the lag already sucked in 2015, but TBH how many people would be willing to shell out 2k for a snappier screen?
Maybe a few thousand. Then you'd have to get upgrade procedures in place, maybe software issues, added load on service (which usually is chronically swamped anyway) - in short: not gonna happen.

Elon Musk on Twitter

whZTMaE.png

Great news for MCU1 people with laggy maps and garbled fonts! On recurring problems they should do it for free or at a heavily reduced price.

I haven't had any issues with the MCU on our 2013, but I'm pleased to see upgradable parts if and when I need a replacement...I'm not obsolete yet. :D

Maybe because that runs on a lower resolution? I've heard that the MCU1 got a display upgrade before MCU2. :)

I wouldn't call this "news" or "confirmed". Elon has stated before that there will be an upgrade path but nothing official has ever been published other than his tweets.

He said it multiple times now :) Doesn't that count? :)