Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Gives Details on FSD 10.2 Beta Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will release the next version of it’s Full Self Driving Beta on October 8, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

The company released last week version 10.1 of the software, which included a button to request access to the beta. Tesla previously only gave access to employees and select owners.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said drivers will need to have a near perfect score in the early roll out.

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla’s self-driving system is currently under scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of crashes when Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
The scoring system is absurd. It penalized me for “following to closely” during which time I had cruise control on. So it penalized itself. I also have a turn onto my street off of a major 6 lane road that requires “aggressive steering” in order to be safe. Penalized for that too.
Yep, this process is not realistic. Good idea, piss poor execution.

I got dinged for aggressive turning by pulling into my driveway, which is more than a 90degree turn. Also got dinged for close following by people cutting me off because I left lots of room between me and the car ahead.

I don’t think this system is meant to gauge how you drive, it is more about the drivers around you that might cause an accident. If that is the case, in Massachusetts it will be very hard to get 100% with all the Massholes around.

Not for long! Elon’s comment that they are looking for drivers at or near 100% is ridiculous. I would think anything in the 90s would be more realistic as a top end target.
While I currently sport a score of 99, I most likely will withdraw from the program before the week is up. My experience with this has been anything but enjoyable. As many have stated, this PoS system dings you for autopilot following distance, even at max settings. There are many other issues as reported as well. Most of you will sitting be trying to get the software many weeks after the button was launched. Mark my words. Not worth it for me. I’m going to enjoy my car and perhaps get this beta when it’s mass released “in two weeks”.

Last edited:
Just from hanging out in safety score threads in TMC these last few days, it's apparent there are plenty of people who actually score at or near 100 while logging decent miles. For people who already drive for efficiency, "gaming" the system really isn't required. Just a bit more attention to following distance.
That is totally not the case. Based on the configuration of my parking garage at work and space, each time I pull (slowly) into my space I seem to generate an "aggressive turning" ding. Drove 5 miles home today and never got close to a car in front of me, no FWC warning ever fired, but suddenly I'm red on that score. Trust me, people in Teslas are now running red lights and stop signs they normally would have stopped at -- but are now focused on the "safety" score so just blow through. Not ready for real world imho.

That is totally not the case. Based on the configuration of my parking garage at work and space, each time I pull (slowly) into my space I seem to generate an "aggressive turning" ding. Drove 5 miles home today and never got close to a car in front of me, no FWC warning ever fired, but suddenly I'm red on that score. Trust me, people in Teslas are now running red lights and stop signs they normally would have stopped at -- but are now focused on the "safety" score so just blow through. Not ready for real world imho.
Yep, the app/algorithm bites the big one. Poor implementation, in my opinion.

I sure hope my score isn't predicated on erratic driving caused by my attempt today to use Autopilot on the way home from work. It actually changed lanes successfully for the freeway offramp and then put the turn signal on for a merge right when it spasmodically jerked left (with the right turn signal still flashing) to get into the straight-thru lane. I just don't understand what is going on. If FSD is anything close to AP, we are in big trouble...

And the presumption is you have to keep up the near perfect scores even after you are selected or else you get kicked back down to regular autopilot/FSD again.

If I get the beta, I’ll make a good faith effort to use it. I’ll be conservative as to what I allow it do. I’ve got no problem overriding it or turning it off if it too sucks.

But I’m going to stop stressing over the score. If my current efforts don’t get me in the beta I’ll probably give up on trying. I don’t need to be treated poorly.

Yeah - the Safety Score's thresholds for aggressive turning and hard braking are really too punitive. I end up being THAT guy on the road leaving waaaaay too much space, going way too slow, etc so that I don't become "unsafe" by braking like a normal driver. I'd swear I've become a less safe driver as a result, and this car is sure a helluva lot LESS fun to drive knowing that Unca Elon is watching. We'll see how it goes for this week and maybe next, but otherwise, I'm gonna unenroll and drive my car like a normal person.