Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Gives Details on FSD 10.2 Beta Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will release the next version of it’s Full Self Driving Beta on October 8, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

The company released last week version 10.1 of the software, which included a button to request access to the beta. Tesla previously only gave access to employees and select owners.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said drivers will need to have a near perfect score in the early roll out.

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla’s self-driving system is currently under scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of crashes when Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to bring my score up from 99 to 100, I've been driving more that I would have normally... I was just rewarded by a nice fat rock chip in my window by a freaking dump truck. This is getting old... If he keeps up playing us for dummies, I'm gonna bag it and go back and drive "less dangerously", by not creating a traffic mess and instituting road-rage in my wake by driving like a paranoid blind granny....

Trying to bring my score up from 99 to 100, I've been driving more that I would have normally... I was just rewarded by a nice fat rock chip in my window by a freaking dump truck. This is getting old... If he keeps up playing us for dummies, I'm gonna bag it and go back and drive "less dangerously", by not creating a traffic mess and instituting road-rage in my wake by driving like a paranoid blind granny....
Nobody pointed a gun to your head to make you CHOOSE to play a game.

I believe that this safety score is a distraction from the "where's my FSD button" whines.

So I watch and am entertained by what (I presume are) smart people do when Tide Challenged.

I'll be happy to be later in line than purposefully gaming a system that encourages surrounding drivers to get pissed.

Reactions: mark95476 and EVNow
Some of you are starting to worry me. I have changed driving very little. At first I eased up on the accelerator until I realized that didn't count. And I am a slalom junkie. Knowing that I have also slowed up when going around really tight turns which we have a couple of around here. Wasn't paying attention this afternoon and thought I might get one of those dings but I didn't.

Other that that I'm driving the same. I have one ding from when I crested a hill and had to brake for stopped cars. I would agree that it does seem to ding on that before it is an actual safety issue but I did brake harder than I would coming up to a stop or light.

I've got no idea how good this data capture is but based on a lot of posts here and facebook I'd say they were absolutely right to have this testing period. (Elon, this post should get me an extra credit, right?)

One of my trips today was about 10 miles, and half of it was at 35 mph. The other half is 55 mph and driven entirely on autopilot. I have the following distance set at 7. Everything is good and I know that I won't get dinged while on autopilot, until I need to turn off the road. And that's what happened. Apparently, Tesla's own following distance on autopilot will count as unsafe following as soon as you press the brake to make a turn.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
One of my trips today was about 10 miles, and half of it was at 35 mph. The other half is 55 mph and driven entirely on autopilot. I have the following distance set at 7. Everything is good and I know that I won't get dinged while on autopilot, until I need to turn off the road. And that's what happened. Apparently, Tesla's own following distance on autopilot will count as unsafe following as soon as you press the brake to make a turn.

You could use the speed control to ramp down the speed to below 50 on AP, then use the stalk to cancel out of AP so you won't get a hard brake or unsafe follow

So what’s the scoop on us sub 100%er’s? Couple months? This is a crock of *sugar*. I drive almost 30,000miles a year. I encounter almost every possible circumstance within those miles. While on AP tonight, I had to brake “hard” for a stop sign that Tesla’s system did not detect. This happens quite a bit for me. Why get dinged for something your “system” should be able to handle? Oh well, I saw this coming…

So what’s the scoop on us sub 100%er’s? Couple months? This is a crock of *sugar*. I drive almost 30,000miles a year. I encounter almost every possible circumstance within those miles. While on AP tonight, I had to brake “hard” for a stop sign that Tesla’s system did not detect. This happens quite a bit for me. Why get dinged for something your “system” should be able to handle? Oh well, I saw this coming…
Elon’s cover, as the answer to your question, is “Because it’s beta….”

Elon’s cover, as the answer to your question, is “Because it’s beta….”
Does he need cover? It’s crazy impressive to me that Tesla is about to release this to more people at all. Even if I’m not in the group who gets it I’m still excited it’s expanding. This is a HUGE first step for any company in the world to take and it’s happening right here with Tesla in America and we all get to be part of it and watch it take place. I’m excited and I really hope the rollout is a success and that everything is safe and works out well!

What “we all saw coming” was another delay. Not 1k on Saturday.
Ahem….. my “prediction “ has consistently been 500-1000 new testers with each new beta version. Intuitively and from a legal perspective (which are one in the same for me), 1000/day never made sense to me. Just too much risk (despite what may have happened with the AP1 release).

With that being said, and as I’ve said, I hope I am wrong for the sake of sanity on this forum.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
What “we all saw coming” was another delay. Not 1k on Saturday.

Ahem….. my “prediction “ has consistently been 500-1000 new testers with each new beta version. Intuitively and from a legal perspective (which are one in the same for me), 1000/day never made sense to me. Just too much risk (despite what may have happened with the AP1 release).

With that being said, and as I’ve said, I hope I am wrong for the sake of sanity on this forum.
Exactly this. There have been many discussions on this forum about how 1000/day seemed unwise and bound to cause problems. Several people have commented that 1000 new testers every day is unsustainable at that level. Plus, there has been quite a bit of talk of delays from "Elon time" to halts in progress of onboarding the 1000/day when problems are encountered.

So I think it is fair to say that, as a group, we all saw this coming. Individually, certain individuals may have had other ideas, but the general consensus was this was not going to happen as described BB (before button).

Lets take a look at this for a moment from the perspective of Tesla (i.e. lawyers) who will present this to regulators. And yes this is a different take then yours.

Tesla
  1. We did a year long beta with approximately 2,000 drivers. Mostly employees but with some public beta testers. No accidents.
  2. We then moved into phase 2 where required testers had to achieve a perfect safety score of 100 before being allowed into the FSD beta program.
  3. We carefully monitored how well the new beta testers performed before rolling out additional testers in carefully structured waves. Drivers who did not perform properly were removed from the beta program.
  4. To insure beta testers are closely monitoring FSD we have have now added monitoring of drivers using the internal camera. This improves upon our standard "nagging" feature.
Of course we know this is called "spin"!
And yet Mobileye and GM will release supervision and Ultra cruise (which are also a door to door systems) respectively to all paying customers at once without all this marketing and pr bullshit. All of this is just sleight of hand. You people are so gullible. From the FSD Beta release to ~80 people to the button will be here in 10 days in i think march, to vision only will blow your mind, to x version will blow your mind, to one stack, to the safety scores, to 1,000 a day...oh wait.

He's playing you guys like puppets at a puppeteer show, look at @powertold now "1100+ testers" is considered mind blowing.
This is someone who was claiming Level 5 better than humans in 6 months last October and then when that failed said L5 better than humans by end of 2021.

Last edited:
And yet Mobileye and GM will release supervision and Ultra cruise (which are also a door to door systems) respectively to all paying customers at once without all this marketing and pr bullshit. All of this is just sleight of hand. You people are so gullible. From the FSD Beta release to ~80 people to the button will be here in 10 days in i think march, to vision only will blow your mind, to x version will blow your mind, to one stack, to the safety scores, to 1,000 a day...oh wait.

He's playing you guys like puppets at a puppeteer show, look at @powertold now "1100+ testers" is considered mind blowing.
This is someone who was claiming Level 5 better than humans in 6 months last October and then when that failed said L5 better than humans by end of 2021.
Feel better now?