Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Gives Details on FSD 10.2 Beta Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will release the next version of it’s Full Self Driving Beta on October 8, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

The company released last week version 10.1 of the software, which included a button to request access to the beta. Tesla previously only gave access to employees and select owners.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said drivers will need to have a near perfect score in the early roll out.

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla’s self-driving system is currently under scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of crashes when Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again we don't know that yet. It could be like Supercruise where they only have a Ultra Cruise with a subset of features shown and then later be upgraded with an "Enhanced" version with more features.
No you are literally trying to compare two different things as one.
Supercruise 1.0 was never announced with Supercruise 2.0 (enhanced) features. They are completely separate.

All the features anounced will be there at launch for Ultra Cruise, just like it was for SC 1.0 and 2.0. They never talked about those features coming in some OTA. In-fact they laid out which features they won't support at launch such as road-abouts.. They talked about what would improve in future 'frequent OTA' and that's going from ~2 million miles to 3.4 million miles (all paved roads) and handling 100% of scenarios from 95%.
According to this article, the Escalade is the only one with the latest version. The CT6 that previously had it was cancelled.
The Chip Shortage Has Claimed Super Cruise On The Cadillac Escalade
Again chip shortage chip shortage chip shortage.
The same way GM had only allocated 15% to CT4 and CT5 earlier this year is the same way they stripped that 15% when the chip shortage got worse and gave it to Lyriq and Hummer. Then again later on stripped the allocation to Escalade and gave it to Lyriq and hummer.

EyeQ3 is 40nm and EyeQ4 28nm.
We know that the chip shortage is hitting 16nm to 40nm hard.
With 40nm being hit the hardest. Add that to the fact that SC was only available on CT6 when the pandemic started and automakers cut orders drastically in anticipation.
This combination is what's resulting in Supercruise scarce-city today. But it won't be a problem for Ultra cruise, not just that the chip shortage will be over then but that Ultra Cruise compute is based on a new 5nm fab.

The point is saying "entire customer base" is misleading when the amount of cars is a fraction what Tesla has, given it's only available in a tiny amount of models that sell in relatively low volume. AFAIK the install base of Super Cruise is well under even FSD, much less AP.
It doesn't matter if there's 10,000 customers with it or 1 million. It matters that anyone who wants it can get it. Right now no one who want/bought FSD can get it.
The question then is, when will everyone who paid for FSD get it and when can anyone who wants it get it. I can tell you for a fact there won't be this beta nonsense with supervision or ultra cruise.
Again, we don't know the sales and take rate until it actually happens. Troy estimates the install base of FSD is around 360k, global take rate around 22% so far.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/53791416

I can accept that.

While I currently sport a score of 99, I most likely will withdraw from the program before the week is up. My experience with this has been anything but enjoyable. As many have stated, this PoS system dings you for autopilot following distance, even at max settings. There are many other issues as reported as well. Most of you will sitting be trying to get the software many weeks after the button was launched. Mark my words. Not worth it for me. I’m going to enjoy my car and perhaps get this beta when it’s mass released “in two weeks”.
Concur...I ding for unsafe following and hard braking every time AP is engaged. People told me AP should not affect the score but I don't believe. I have tested!

Reactions: jebinc
Concur...I ding for unsafe following and hard braking every time AP is engaged. People told me AP should not affect the score but I don't believe. I have tested!
On the highway? I think I got dinged for it once early on using it on a side street. So I stopped using it all together until this morning when I used it on the highway in an effort to try to drive my score up. And I didn’t get any dings. It definitely did some ‘hard breaking’ maneuvers that it didn’t count.

On the highway? I think I got dinged for it once early on using it on a side street. So I stopped using it all together until this morning when I used it on the highway in an effort to try to drive my score up. And I didn’t get any dings. It definitely did some ‘hard breaking’ maneuvers that it didn’t count.

What I have experienced...when AP is on, the car seems like not slowing down at all when it approaches traffic light. Or When it's getting close to a stopping car infront, then it brakes very hard!

What I have experienced...when AP is on, the car seems like not slowing down at all when it approaches traffic light. Or When it's getting close to a stopping car infront, then it brakes very hard!
I didn’t use it on side streets today. Hence no stop lights today. The time I thought an AP hard stop was counted was at a stop light.

Reactions: T3M3T
I went from 8 days of 100 to a 96 today after some dumbass ran a stop sign in front of me. I anticipated it, attempted to gradually slow down but apparently I slowed too quickly.

Drove 28 mile miles of 100% but only raised it to a 98.

I don’t want to drive another 75 miles to fix this!

apparently I slowed too quickly. Drove 28 mile miles of 100% but only raised it to a 98
Assuming the only thing is hard braking today, you need to get it to 0.2% for a 100 score. It's not the distance that matters but the time you're braking. Find some empty residential neighborhood and accelerate to 25mph then let off the accelerator slowing down to 0 and repeat. If you're trying to raise your overall score to 99 to join next Friday's 10.3 enrollment wave, then yes mileage matters with a score of 99 or 100 for the day.

I just want to note that it’s been a week since the first public rollout and there have been no reported accidents/injuries.

This bodes well for the next round of beta testers. Those of you with 99s should feel a lot more confident about receiving the beta next Friday than the first round of testers.

In contrast, before the first rollout last week it seemed like it was all a mirage and might never happen. They’ve finally taken the leap and released to owners, and the world hasn’t ended. If nothing bad happens before next Friday, I can’t imagine they won’t add more testers.

Those of us with the beta - great job so far, keep driving carefully so we don’t screw it up for the next group!

I just want to note that it’s been a week since the first public rollout and there have been no reported accidents/injuries.

This bodes well for the next round of beta testers. Those of you with 99s should feel a lot more confident about receiving the beta next Friday than the first round of testers.

In contrast, before the first rollout last week it seemed like it was all a mirage and might never happen. They’ve finally taken the leap and released to owners, and the world hasn’t ended. If nothing bad happens before next Friday, I can’t imagine they won’t add more testers.

Those of us with the beta - great job so far, keep driving carefully so we don’t screw it up for the next group!
Irritates me that I was at 99 with 850 miles during the first week and looking forward to experiencing the beta FSD. Then, we make a trip on the interstate I-95 and I-4, 180 miles. I reset the trip in the safety score before getting on the interstate. Travel to the interstate was 5 miles with a trip score of 100. After supercharging up I get on the interstate which is about .4 miles of stop-go 0-15mph to the ramp. I turn on AP + NOA to my home. After 3 hours of driving with AP +NOA even allowing it to flawlessly make the transition from I-4 to I-95 near Daytona. I expect to see another 100 score but sadly, I had my worst trip score yet at 88. I thought AP wasn't supposed to count toward your score. Now my total is at 96.

I don't understand at all. I had Hard Braking- 3.9%; Aggressive Turning 1.5%; Unsafe following 40% penalties all while on AP. My car was in chill mode and speed set to speed limit, my follow distance was 7, staying mostly in the right lane as most of the traffic was much faster and I always had plenty of room ahead except through Orlando where the traffic backed up and we were going 5-15mph for about 3 miles.

The next day I drove around a residential neighborhood for 7 miles and scored 100 with no strikes for Hard Braking at stop signs. Later in the day I needed to make a short trip of 40 miles also had score of 100. My 96 total increased to 97.

To add to my confusion, I played with the simulator and entering the numbers I have with a 97 score- I get 99 in the simulator. The calculator and the simulator don't match.

So, I feel these Safety score calculators are totally FUBAR. I prefer to judge a safe driver by how many moving violations he has and if he has been in an accident or not. Does he drive distracted or impaired? Autopilot is completely unsafe by Tesla's calculator standards but IMO, makes my long trips safer because it sees better with 8 eyes than my two, but with all 10 eyeball, 2 being human connected to a human brain as a backup to a Tesla FSD brain it is significantly safer, even if Tesla's own measure says it is more dangerous with an 88 score.

I thought AP wasn't supposed to count toward your score.
It's not and I suspect your conclusion is accurate. But perhaps one grey area - by chance did you spend time on AP and pressing the accelerator? Not sure those times would be excluded from the safety score.

Certainly would not explain hard braking - but that's also a percentage of all non-AP braking - so maybe 1 hard brake leaving the house?

Again I think you are right - just food for thought.

Irritates me that I was at 99 with 850 miles during the first week and looking forward to experiencing the beta FSD. Then, we make a trip on the interstate I-95 and I-4, 180 miles. I reset the trip in the safety score before getting on the interstate. Travel to the interstate was 5 miles with a trip score of 100. After supercharging up I get on the interstate which is about .4 miles of stop-go 0-15mph to the ramp. I turn on AP + NOA to my home. After 3 hours of driving with AP +NOA even allowing it to flawlessly make the transition from I-4 to I-95 near Daytona. I expect to see another 100 score but sadly, I had my worst trip score yet at 88. I thought AP wasn't supposed to count toward your score. Now my total is at 96.

I don't understand at all. I had Hard Braking- 3.9%; Aggressive Turning 1.5%; Unsafe following 40% penalties all while on AP. My car was in chill mode and speed set to speed limit, my follow distance was 7, staying mostly in the right lane as most of the traffic was much faster and I always had plenty of room ahead except through Orlando where the traffic backed up and we were going 5-15mph for about 3 miles.

The next day I drove around a residential neighborhood for 7 miles and scored 100 with no strikes for Hard Braking at stop signs. Later in the day I needed to make a short trip of 40 miles also had score of 100. My 96 total increased to 97.

To add to my confusion, I played with the simulator and entering the numbers I have with a 97 score- I get 99 in the simulator. The calculator and the simulator don't match.

So, I feel these Safety score calculators are totally FUBAR. I prefer to judge a safe driver by how many moving violations he has and if he has been in an accident or not. Does he drive distracted or impaired? Autopilot is completely unsafe by Tesla's calculator standards but IMO, makes my long trips safer because it sees better with 8 eyes than my two, but with all 10 eyeball, 2 being human connected to a human brain as a backup to a Tesla FSD brain it is significantly safer, even if Tesla's own measure says it is more dangerous with an 88 score.

Not sure if you did or even possible you did but if you are in traffic and press the accelerator pedal while using AutoPilot you will get seriously dinged for “Unsafe Following”

I have a 99 with 2,400+ miles but that number “Unsafe Following” is still recovering from first daily commute after pressing the button

by chance did you spend time on AP and pressing the accelerator?
Good point. I didn't think of that. The big hit was the unsafe following in that drive.

Meanwhile I have been able to reduce my Hard braking now to 0.5 overall by driving 5 miles in the neighborhood speeding up and braking slowly. I also avoided unsafe following score by back roads with little traffic and dunning for 25-50 miles below 50mph.

Anyway, I also discovered now that the simulator is giving me a 99 but the true score total is now 97. Simulator says it should be 99.

Not sure if you did or even possible you did but if you are in traffic and press the accelerator pedal while using AutoPilot you will get seriously dinged for “Unsafe Following”
Good to know but since the beta button, I have not used AP except on the highway and on the one trip where traffic backed up on I-4 I was in AP but let AP handle it. AP does an amazing job in stop and go traffic on the interstate.

Anyway, I'm hoping to continue to reduce the Hard Braking to 0.1 over the next 5 days. My Unsafe following is also coming down. I want to stay under 50mph with my M S for the next week. Don't need to drive the interstate for the next week.