Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Gives Details on FSD 10.2 Beta Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will release the next version of it’s Full Self Driving Beta on October 8, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

The company released last week version 10.1 of the software, which included a button to request access to the beta. Tesla previously only gave access to employees and select owners.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said drivers will need to have a near perfect score in the early roll out.

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla’s self-driving system is currently under scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of crashes when Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
4) Some will test it safely, some don't know how to test but will see what happens, some will abuse it, some will activate it without any idea what is going on. The owner will not be the only one driving the car

I don't think it's clear if, beyond the initial 2000 actual testers, that the new cohorts will be doing the same "testing." For example, will the new cohorts have to sign an NDA (ignoring Musk's Code Conference comments)? Will we be given instructions on how to test? Are we required to drive a certain amount and submit problems a certain way?

I tend to think no, the button cohorts are just going to be users of a beta product, and Tesla will be collecting car telemetry to improve the system. We won't be active testers like the original 2000. That's my speculation anyway.

Reactions: edseloh
I don't think it's clear if, beyond the initial 2000 actual testers, that the new cohorts will be doing the same "testing." For example, will the new cohorts have to sign an NDA (ignoring Musk's Code Conference comments)? Will we be given instructions on how to test? Are we required to drive a certain amount and submit problems a certain way?

I tend to think no, the button cohorts are just going to be users of a beta product, and Tesla will be collecting car telemetry to improve the system. We won't be active testers like the original 2000. That's my speculation anyway.
New FSD Beta users should have to watch an instructional video and complete an online course on safe use, at least. Perhaps attend a test seminar at a Tesla Service Center. Yeah, sure.

Do you think they will gimp the Beta somewhat? Probably the easiest thing to do is just release it as-is.

Are they really waiting for the full stack? Why bother, AP is reasonable, the current Beta testers don't have any issues with it. All full stack is going to do is delay rolling out the Beta. I don't see the need, other than a delay. If full stack isn't working are they just going to cancel the roll-out?

New FSD Beta users should have to watch an instructional video and complete an online course on safe use, at least. Perhaps attend a test seminar at a Tesla Service Center. Yeah, sure.

Do you think they will gimp the Beta somewhat? Probably the easiest thing to do is just release it as-is.

Are they really waiting for the full stack? Why bother, AP is reasonable, the current Beta testers don't have any issues with it. All full stack is going to do is delay rolling out the Beta. I don't see the need, other than a delay. If full stack isn't working are they just going to cancel the roll-out?

Isn't working your way to a 99 or 100 on the Safety Score enough of a safety course/test :p

Isn't working your way to a 99 or 100 on the Safety Score enough of a safety course/test :p
Not if you're learning how to "reset" your bad test, speed through yellow lights, etc. : )

You know that I meant a test on FSD Beta functions I hope. Watching a few of the other FSD Beta testers videos is hit & miss on proper behaviour, though most are very good. Would be nice to see a proper Tesla instructional video.

Reactions: edseloh
I’ve been dinged once so far, on the first day, for a hard braking event. Given I didn’t even hit the brakes at all that day, I could only guess that it was from my usual practice of letting my car pick up speed (either via shifting to neutral or gently goosing the go pedal until I hit 55-60mph) on my decently steep downhill portion and then timing my coast regen towards the end of the hill to let me regen to a stop at the light at the bottom of the hill. I’ve since adjusted my driving on that downhill portion to not let my car reach past about 45 mph and haven’t been dinged since. That first drive downhill gave me a score of 95, and once I got back home after finishing my errands, I ended up at a 97 for the day. I easily got 100s each day after that in my fairly limited driving (about 20 miles a day around a fairly easy suburban area), and attributed that to my location.

After reading some of the stories here, I thought I was in trouble when I needed to go to Westwood yesterday and battle LA freeway traffic for about 40 or so miles, but driving as normally as possible (i can’t say for certain it was completely normal since I absolutely was thinking about the score in the back of my mind), but I ended the day at 100, bringing my average score back to 100 overall. Now I’m honestly just curious and want to sit in some people’s cars to see how they’re driving or if their car or mine is having sensor issues, because so far it has been a breeze for me to get high safety scores without adjusting my driving much beyond controlling my top speed going downhill more.

Seriously. I wonder how they are going to factor this bc it’s pretty important
The scores do look at total mileage, and it’s easy enough for them to look at miles driven. Having a beta tester that doesn’t drive isn’t too helpful for them.

it would also seem to make sense for them to take autopilot into account - if the car is ‘unsafe’ while autopilot is engaged they need to look at their algorithms!

This is the part that never made sense to me. They aren't going to (and shouldn't) roll out the first full stack build to a bunch of new beta testers. The city streets code will probably be a lot better in many ways over legacy NoA, but it could still have unpredictable results at highway speed.

They've been delaying 'the button' while they chase the next big improvement. At some point they just need to rip the bandaid off and release the most stable version of the beta they have.

Reactions: edseloh and Dan D.
PS my bet is that when they do start the rollout to more beta testers (this weekend or next), they'll release to 1,000 people a day for a couple of days and then Elon will tweet that they're 'putting a pause on the rollout until xyz cool new improvement which is just around the corner'. That way they can claim they're widening the beta, while still keeping it very small.

Then maybe a few weeks later they'll roll out to a couple thousand more and then put it on pause again. I just don't foresee 1,000 people a day being added with any regularity.

I agree - Beta Testing is not for everyone.

I'm also surprised, like Musk, that so many people are interested in beta testing. Thats because people think this is "beta" like the highway NOA. Its not - this is really early access beta. People need to be a lot more careful with this FSD than probably even their usual driving.
It’s not surprising at all. Some of us paid for this feature FIVE YEARS AGO. Some paid only a year ago, but paid $10,000. Musk has teased “Beta button going out in the next few weeks/next release/etc.” for months now.

And when the Download Beta button finally appears….did we mention you’ll have to pass some ludicrous “safety test” that even Consumer Reports says is dangerous? And that we can revoke it at any time if we don’t like your driving?

Yeah, yeah…it’s “beta”. Literally no Tesla software designated “beta” has _ever_ come out of beta.

The scores do look at total mileage, and it’s easy enough for them to look at miles driven. Having a beta tester that doesn’t drive isn’t too helpful for them.

it would also seem to make sense for them to take autopilot into account - if the car is ‘unsafe’ while autopilot is engaged they need to look at their algorithms!
Well, I drive a min of 100miles a day, I guess I shouldn’t have any issue getting the beta then? Safety Score of 99-98 roughly.

Reactions: jebinc
The scoring system is absurd. It penalized me for “following to closely” during which time I had cruise control on. So it penalized itself. I also have a turn onto my street off of a major 6 lane road that requires “aggressive steering” in order to be safe. Penalized for that too.
Exactly. I get nailed every time I leave my house because my road is twisty and windy unless I drive 15 in a 30. I also got dinged because two Prius drivers crossed the median to cut into my lane on the freeway.

I think you guys are missing the point of the Safety Score. It is not he score of the driver's safety, it is the score of the car's environment safety for FSD purposes. In order words, it's a quantification of how likely is your car, driven when and where you normally drive it, is going to get into an accident if using FSD. Yes, the driver is part of this environment, as they are the safety backup, but definitely not the only factor here.

@whitexSo in a sense those with the worse score should get it first.

Even if it's already safer than a human, FSD beta makes too many mistakes that an average human wouldn't make. It needs to be perceived as safer than humans to earn general acceptance (and support from regulators), which might take a long while to achieve. So we don't really want this in the worst drivers' hands yet.