Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Gives Details on FSD 10.2 Beta Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will release the next version of it’s Full Self Driving Beta on October 8, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

The company released last week version 10.1 of the software, which included a button to request access to the beta. Tesla previously only gave access to employees and select owners.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said drivers will need to have a near perfect score in the early roll out.

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla’s self-driving system is currently under scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of crashes when Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - the Safety Score's thresholds for aggressive turning and hard braking are really too punitive. I end up being THAT guy on the road leaving waaaaay too much space, going way too slow, etc so that I don't become "unsafe" by braking like a normal driver. I'd swear I've become a less safe driver as a result, and this car is sure a helluva lot LESS fun to drive knowing that Unca Elon is watching. We'll see how it goes for this week and maybe next, but otherwise, I'm gonna unenroll and drive my car like a normal person.
Same.

Yeah - the Safety Score's thresholds for aggressive turning and hard braking are really too punitive. I end up being THAT guy on the road leaving waaaaay too much space, going way too slow, etc so that I don't become "unsafe" by braking like a normal driver. I'd swear I've become a less safe driver as a result, and this car is sure a helluva lot LESS fun to drive knowing that Unca Elon is watching. We'll see how it goes for this week and maybe next, but otherwise, I'm gonna unenroll and drive my car like a normal person.
Same

Reports of Safety Score experience seems all over the place. It’s been pretty consistent for me thus far. Got dinged I’m pretty sure while pulling out of a parking space on the first day (Saturday) and slamming on the brakes because of a car (a Tesla Model S no less) flying around the corner, but have clawed my way back to 100 after a couple days of 50 miles avg or so each day:

I go into AP/NoA as soon and as much as possible including on surface streets and even with people cutting me off and/or causing somewhat hard braking, I’m not getting dinged, as per Tesla’s Safety Score instructions. I changed AP speed limit from relative +9 to +4, but I don’t think that matters, since sometimes the speed limit drops while on a freeway and the AP speed limit stays 14 or more miles over the perceived speed limit. And no, it’s not listed in the metrics as an issue, so that matches/aligns. I’m still using following distance of 4 which is the same as what I’ve always left it on before Safety Score. I have reduced it to 3 during more traffic, but ultimately I don’t stress if someone cuts in between. AP slows as needed (and I’m riding the brake pedal just in case I need to react faster). I left Forward Collision Warning still set to medium just like before Safety Score, since that’s what Safety Score uses anyway. I disable AP earlier than before Safety Score so that I can gently regen to a reasonably quick enough to not piss off people behind me, but slow enough to satisfy the G sensors while braking and during the turn. I have parked in parking garages everyday (carefully) without issue so far as well. We will see if I can keep this up. I’ll probably not keep this up after another week or so, depending on a few factors, but it’s worth it for a little bit to get early access to FSD beta for a bit before public release.

Hopefully my experience/what I’ve tried can help others during their 7 day evaluation.

to everyone above, you don’t get dinged for anything that is done on autopilot, just like the FAQ says. I get multiple fcw, hard brakes, etc every day while on AP and my score is 99. (It would be 100 if in day one some jerk didn’t pull out of a parking lot and I _manually_ had to brake hard.)
Me: That's good. Because there are going to be a lot of "buttery smooth" turns into concrete walls or emergency vehicles. Can't have your "FSD" scores declining for stuff like that. LOL.

FanBois: BUT...BUT....VISION IS "SOLVED"....ELON SAYS SO! Or will be...you know...a "few weeks" from now. LOL

I'm not too upset about all of this. I'm at 98 and it will be hard to bring that score up given the daily city commute on the highway. So I probably will need to wait several extra weeks.

But to me, it's the end result that matters. If a slower rollout means a better system then that's fine with me. The last thing I want is for the rollout to go too fast and we see a lot of accidents. Then regulators get involved and the whole FSD project is hamstrung for years to come.

OTOH, people who score 100 with 0.1 miles driven might all get disqualified. so if that's your strategy, you must realize that you're taking a risk. And if you do actually need to drive your car, and you get a false positive FCW, it's going to really hurt because you have no weighted mileage to offset it.

Reactions: TresLA
I don't understand why people think milage should be a factor in who is let in first (we will all get it eventually).
FSD beta is not about driving highway miles. It is about inter-city and suburb driving. Driving 30 miles on the highway on Autopilot doesn't help the system.
However people driving the highway using AP are also showing that they can use the system responsibly. The current system dings you for not using AP on highways. The following distance calculator is obviously flawed. I did a drive that I was no way within 3 sec of the car in front of me and had heavy close following dinged. People driving .1miles aren't really going to test the system in the city well either. The big question I have is will they start adding people after 10.2 is released next friday or will they add people starting this weekend. Will we continue to be tested after getting the beta? If so what will cause people to get dropped?

to everyone above, you don’t get dinged for anything that is done on autopilot, just like the FAQ says. I get multiple fcw, hard brakes, etc every day while on AP and my score is 99. (It would be 100 if in day one some jerk didn’t pull out of a parking lot and I _manually_ had to brake hard.)
I'm not sure this is really true. All (see attached) of the "Unsafe Following" 8+ percent dings come from when I was either in "Autopilot/TACC" or "Navigate on Autopilot" - when other people cut in front of me because of the large "7" gap between my car and the one I (Autopilot, actually) was following.

SS.jpg

Reactions: Edgewood Dome
I'm not sure this is really true. All (see attached) of the "Unsafe Following" 8+ percent dings come from when I was either in "Autopilot/TACC" or "Navigate on Autopilot" - when other people cut in front of me because of the large "7" gap between my car and the one I (Autopilot, actually) was following.

View attachment 715784
You do get dinged when using TACC for sure. I also think the unsafe follow distance thing is really flawed.

Me: That's good. Because there are going to be a lot of "buttery smooth" turns into concrete walls or emergency vehicles. Can't have your "FSD" scores declining for stuff like that. LOL.

FanBois: BUT...BUT....VISION IS "SOLVED"....ELON SAYS SO! Or will be...you know...a "few weeks" from now. LOL
I and a number of others are doing just fine and still scoring 100. Haven’t hit any walls, pedestrians, nor emergency vehicles yet!

Last edited: