Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Gives Details on FSD 10.2 Beta Release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will release the next version of it’s Full Self Driving Beta on October 8, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in a tweet.

The company released last week version 10.1 of the software, which included a button to request access to the beta. Tesla previously only gave access to employees and select owners.

By requesting access, owners give Tesla permission to evaluate their driving to create a Safety Score. The Safety Score is an assessment of driving behavior based on five metrics called Safety Factors. These are combined to estimate the likelihood that driving could result in a future collision.

Musk said drivers will need to have a near perfect score in the early roll out.

“First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc.,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla’s self-driving system is currently under scrutiny from federal investigators after a series of crashes when Autopilot was engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet Mobileye and GM will release supervision and Ultra cruise (which are also a door to door systems) respectively to all paying customers at once without all this marketing and pr bullshit. All of this is just sleight of hand. You people are so gullible. From the FSD Beta release to ~80 people to the button will be here in 10 days in i think march, to vision only will blow your mind, to x version will blow your mind, to one stack, to the safety scores, to 1,000 a day...oh wait.

He's playing you guys like puppets at a puppeteer show, look at @powertold now "1100+ testers" is considered mind blowing.
This is someone who was claiming Level 5 better than humans in 6 months last October and then when that failed said L5 better than humans by end of 2021.
Did you notice that I concluded with this statement?
"Of course we know this is called "spin"!"

So don't take everything so seriously

paid for, waited for, told 'by end of year' like twice, scored 99, still gonna wait and have to keep score up otherwise wait longer...
Can you say FRUSTRATED?
I bought my Model S90D in December of 2016 and purchased Full Self Driving. Elon said at that time that all Early FSD Adopters would be invited to join the Full Self Driving Beta. My Model S is almost 5 years old and I still do not have FSD Beta access.

I live in a neighborhood that only has 2 roads for driving in and out. Each road has 23% grade so I frequently get hard braking so I will never get to 100%. Yes, I can say that I have been VERY FRUSTRATED for almost 5 years.

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
And yet Mobileye and GM will release supervision and Ultra cruise (which are also a door to door systems) respectively to all paying customers at once without all this marketing and pr bullshit. All of this is just sleight of hand. You people are so gullible. From the FSD Beta release to ~80 people to the button will be here in 10 days in i think march, to vision only will blow your mind, to x version will blow your mind, to one stack, to the safety scores, to 1,000 a day...oh wait.

He's playing you guys like puppets at a puppeteer show, look at @powertold now "1100+ testers" is considered mind blowing.
This is someone who was claiming Level 5 better than humans in 6 months last October and then when that failed said L5 better than humans by end of 2021.
Well for Mobileye/GM this is another case of counting eggs before they hatch. There are no guarantees all the features will all be there at launch for them and it's not very meaningful to say "all customers" for GM when the only car that has Super Cruise now is the Escalade and even that has recently been delayed due to ship shortages (so early production models will not have it). It's very easy for that 1000 non-employee beta testers to be well over the amount of cars GM or Mobileye will have at launch.

I'm seeing the opposite. If I drive on AP, even on city streets, I get a score of a 100. And my car slows and stops smoothly, with plenty of distance to the next car. No idea why it would be so different, maybe re-calibrate your cameras?
Do you have a vision car? Cameras are fine. 4.21.3 was pretty good at slowing and accelerating. 32.22 is a disaster on my late June M3. Launches off the line rides bumper of car then at 20mph it goes into super chill acceleration mode. Then slowing, even on 7 has gotten worse and slows terrible and too late ultimately hitting the brakes when regen was more than enough. Not going down the rabbit hole with stopping for flashing yellows on a 6 lane state road at 65mph then the red alert goes off while engaged ultimately just manually disengage it because it thinks it’s a regular light changing yellow over and over?!?! I’ve turned off camera control and some other stuff they are dangerous and the driving experience is worse than a student driver by 10x on 32.22.

I agree - Beta Testing is not for everyone.

I'm also surprised, like Musk, that so many people are interested in beta testing. Thats because people think this is "beta" like the highway NOA. Its not - this is really early access beta. People need to be a lot more careful with this FSD than probably even their usual driving.
Yes and no. The FSD stack from videos is way better at basic driving like slowing to a stop and accelerating. General things overall compared to the normal AP stack it does 20x better. The cameras and vision hardware mostly can handle everything. The only explanation is the Beta build. Regular FSD is mostly flawed garbage. I find it useless in 90% of my daily commute.

Do you have a vision car? Cameras are fine. 4.21.3 was pretty good at slowing and accelerating. 32.22 is a disaster on my late June M3. Launches off the line rides bumper of car then at 20mph it goes into super chill acceleration mode. Then slowing, even on 7 has gotten worse and slows terrible and too late ultimately hitting the brakes when regen was more than enough. Not going down the rabbit hole with stopping for flashing yellows on a 6 lane state road at 65mph then the red alert goes off while engaged ultimately just manually disengage it because it thinks it’s a regular light changing yellow over and over?!?! I’ve turned off camera control and some other stuff they are dangerous and the driving experience is worse than a student driver by 10x on 32.22.
Agreed. I also have a vision car and I found the AP on 32.22 to be way worse than 4.21.3. My car used to approach stopped cars smoothly and rationally, now it hard brakes shortly behind them. It also seems to favor the left side of the line (towards the center line), and bounces around the lane a lot more. 4.21.3 tracked right down the middle of the lane.

Reactions: techlogik
Well for Mobileye/GM this is another case of counting eggs before they hatch. There are no guarantees all the features will all be there at launch for them
I said at once not at launch. For supervision it won’t be at launch it will be sometime around Q1 2022. For ultra Cruise I have not doubt it will be at launch because this is a 5 year development and they are not doing the startup EV route of releasing the hardware now and OTA later.
and it's not very meaningful to say "all customers" for GM when the only car that has Super Cruise now is the Escalade and even that has recently been delayed due to ship shortages (so early production models will not have it).
There are like 4-5 car models with Supercruise not just Escalade. Secondly it’s being removed to prioritize the chips for Lyriq and Hummer launch. They don’t want to use up the chips but then don’t have supercruise for their flagship new EVs Lyriq and Hummer. So they are saving the chips for them.

It's very easy for that 1000 non-employee beta testers to be well over the amount of cars GM or Mobileye will have at launch.

It’s not about the number of people who has the software it’s about whether the entire customer base has it. Can anyone who buys or bought it 5 years ago actually gets it. He says I would have to wait for 2 years. Well he would most likely have to wait for mid to late 2022.

Lastly by the time mobileye is ready to push out the OTA update. There will be over 30k Zeekr 001 and if 50% has the pkg that’s 15k cars.

I bought my Model S90D in December of 2016 and purchased Full Self Driving. Elon said at that time that all Early FSD Adopters would be invited to join the Full Self Driving Beta. My Model S is almost 5 years old and I still do not have FSD Beta access.
Same here— bought in December 2016.

Of course, Elon says a lot of stuff. Sometimes it’s crazy (”We‘re all living in a computer simulation!”) Sometimes it’s just…mendacious? These days I just sigh and shake my head.

I said at once not at launch. For supervision it won’t be at launch it will be sometime around Q1 2022. For ultra Cruise I have not doubt it will be at launch because this is a 5 year development and they are not doing the startup EV route of releasing the hardware now and OTA later.
Again we don't know that yet. It could be like Supercruise where they only have a Ultra Cruise with a subset of features shown and then later be upgraded with an "Enhanced" version with more features.
There are like 4-5 car models with Supercruise not just Escalade. Secondly it’s being removed to prioritize the chips for Lyriq and Hummer launch. They don’t want to use up the chips but then don’t have supercruise for their flagship new EVs Lyriq and Hummer. So they are saving the chips for them.
According to this article, the Escalade is the only one with the latest version. The CT6 that previously had it was cancelled.
The Chip Shortage Has Claimed Super Cruise On The Cadillac Escalade
It’s not about the number of people who has the software it’s about whether the entire customer base has it. Can anyone who buys or bought it 5 years ago actually gets it. He says I would have to wait for 2 years. Well he would most likely have to wait for mid to late 2022.
The point is saying "entire customer base" is misleading when the amount of cars is a fraction what Tesla has, given it's only available in a tiny amount of models that sell in relatively low volume. AFAIK the install base of Super Cruise is well under even FSD, much less AP.

Lastly by the time mobileye is ready to push out the OTA update. There will be over 30k Zeekr 001 and if 50% has the pkg that’s 15k cars.
Again, we don't know the sales and take rate until it actually happens. Troy estimates the install base of FSD is around 360k, global take rate around 22% so far.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/53791416

Last edited:
Each road has 23% grade so I frequently get hard braking so I will never get to 100%

It does depend on the specifics of the hill (length, traffic, side streets, runout, etc.), but this actually seems like it could make it easy to really rack up "good" braking events. Just go down these roads at a slow but constant speed, and come to a stop very very slowly when you need to. A grade like 15% would be more ideal, but if people are right about how the car detects hard braking (and I tend to think they are based on my personal experiences with hills), any time spent going at a constant speed down a grade in excess of 10% would count as time spent with "good" braking, and you could really rack up your denominator on a decent length grade like this. It would be interesting to know exactly how Tesla filters this stuff - maybe they ignore accelerometer data when below 3-5mph or something. Otherwise people should be putting their cars up on ramps, on hills and putting it in drive and remain stationary, lol.

Anyway, seems that with a little patience you could get very good scores - and you'd have to worry slightly less about the occasional hard braking on level ground (you'd have an easy & convenient place where you could rack up tons of good braking in the event you need to repair your score). You might have to spend a little time going up and down the hills to rack up the denominator though, which would be a little silly - it depends on how long they are.

But still, when life gives you lemons...