Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk had enough of the Falcon Wing Doors yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall similar threads and issues with the retractable door handles... Tesla worked that out... and now the Model 3 is slated to have them (on a mass production vehicle) and I bet the problems with them will be few and far between
Model 3 door handles as shown on the prototypes at the reveal are significantly different from Model S powered retractable handles. The 3 handles are not powered by a motor to make them come out so you can grab them. Instead you push on the wider part of the handle, at the rear of the handle, and the thinner part then moves away from the body so you can pull on it. When you release the thinner part it moves back flush to the body by a spring mechanism, some think.

Reactions: AnOutsider
If the FWDs worked as intended reliably, I would be very happy with them and prefer them over conventional doors. I do believe that they will get there eventually, although it may take more than just software (e.g. more or better sensors). Compared to the battery and drivetrain components, this is some pretty low-tech stuff - they should be able to figure it out if the put the right people on it.

Definitely seems to be a love it or hate it thing. Personally, I think they are a good design idea, but they have had some issues with design implementation. If and how quickly they get a lot of the design implementation issues resolved may determine whether or not history will see them as a marvel or a mistake.

Some if not many who own Xs will disagree with the OP due to investor bias. I find the FWDs an unnecessary affectation and more hassle than they're worth. I'd prefer conventional doors. I think Tesla has learned an expensive lesson with the MX-- reliability is just as important as innovation.
I agree and can verify that they have learned this lesson because over the past couple of months, Elon has re-iterated a few times that all Model-3 designs need to be ratified by the build engineers first. No point in designing something if it can't be built reliably and affordably.

Most owners here are reporting they love the doors. I would bet the doors are the single largest reason most of the original 35K in orders have been delayed or canceled. Many are not convinced of the long term reliability, nor do purchasers want to be saddled with out of warranty costs.

I would disagree - I think the initial sticker shock may have been the most off-putting. I'm not sure most people expected the X to be as much (if not slightly more) than the S.

Remember, there were no details about the X when first announced, except that it would be an SUV. I bet most assumed the S would remain the "flagship" Tesla vehicle, and that the X would be less expensive - myself and many of my friends included. When details were finally revealed, they were on the Signature fully loaded models with a MSRP of about $140K, if I remember right! That's pretty off-putting right there. One of my friends cancelled his pre-order after getting to the configurator and seeing the final cost of the model he'd consider.

While the doors are certainly something to consider in terms of long-term reliability, current issues with the doors (of which I have been lucky enough to have had none) would not have been known or disseminated enough to significantly impact initial orders. In my opinion.

• Love
Reactions: Johan
Remember, there were no details about the X when first announced, except that it would be an SUV. I bet most assumed the S would remain the "flagship" Tesla vehicle, and that the X would be less expensive
I always assumed the X would be more expensive than the S. I never got the impression from Tesla that it would be the same or less than the S.

Reactions: NathanWolf
Last, but not least, I haven't met a single X owner that doesn't enjoy the doors in their practical everyday use.
Hey, Jeff. I'm Mark.

Nice to meet you.

I find the doors annoying, cumbersome, and gaudy. My kids ride in the back and buckle themselves in. We realize few of the benefits with all of the drawbacks. No question I'd have preferred "normal people doors," but I also don't think Tesla's going to be redesigning the X. Some people really like the attention they bring. I don't. Because I hate to open them in a crowded parking lot, I throw my shopping items in the passenger side of the front seat instead of on the floor of the back seat. In my S, I nearly always use the space behind the driver's seat.

To put some positive spin on this otherwise negative post, I do find they're excellent for "airing out" a hot car.

So far we love the doors on the X. Our kids are 3 and 6 -- so we are still ensuring buckle up most of the time before driving. Today, my wife had 4 kids in our 6 seater all 3-4 years old. The other mom loved the doors and access to the 3rd row -- although her husband just called me in mock outrage -- apparently one ride to pick berries just cost him 110k.

I haven't had a chance to see if the doors on our 6001 vin build are faster than earlier builds -- but they are MORE than fast enough....

My natural feeling towards the doors was taking a negative tone because I kept stumbling on posts complaining about the doors or hoping the X would some day be offered with normal doors
Personally most of that rant was for people who were still in the queue and got passed over or at least delayed in their delivery. I think they were blaming the issues with the FWD's on why they were not getting a car. Fair enough.

Bu now that most of the US reservation holders (less 75's and 5 seaters) have been delivered, I see a lot less negative comments on the FWD's.

Pretty sure the net effect of falcon wing door helped the Tesla brand and elevated the sales of Model X, rather than the other way around. Just one post on instagram or twitter by a Hollywood celebrity with pictures of their own Model X will do tons more for Tesla and EV than any of us average folks can do combined.

Also, people who are spending 130k for this caliber of car isn't looking for practicality. They wants the wow factor, the hyper and attention. Falcon wing door definitely serve that purpose.

image.jpeg
I have found that it is much easier to load the second row in a tight garage with the FWDs than in my X5 with conventional doors. As far as being gaudy, the others (car manufacturers) will eventually come around to it, then it won't be so special once they do.

View attachment 182077 I have found that it is much easier to load the second row in a tight garage with the FWDs than in my X5 with conventional doors. As far as being gaudy, the others (car manufacturers) will eventually come around to it, then it won't be so special once they do.

Looking at your attached photo, why doesn't the lower part of your FWD go higher in your garage? It would certainly seem like it could. This is exactly the same position we end up with on our FWDs when they are acting up, even with a 12' ceiling and lots of room to the sides.