Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk had enough of the Falcon Wing Doors yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So other than the people who could never let themselves dislike anything Tesla does, is everyone else pretty much convinced that the Falcon Wing Doors are a bust and it's time to cut the losses and move on? I have to wonder if the marketing folks (and all the VPs) at Tesla aren't telling Musk the same thing. It's fairly obvious at this point that most people simply don't like them.

With the dissatisfaction of consumers, along with the myriad issues with them, I hope Elon will eat his pride on this one. It's ok to be wrong about something every now and then. It makes you appreciate the other 99% when you were right. No one is perfect. The most important thing to remember is that "sunk cost" rule.

So other than the people who could never let themselves dislike anything Tesla does, is everyone else pretty much convinced that the Falcon Wing Doors are a bust and it's time to cut the losses and move on? I have to wonder if the marketing folks (and all the VPs) at Tesla aren't telling Musk the same thing. It's fairly obvious at this point that most people simply don't like them.

With the dissatisfaction of consumers, along with the myriad issues with them, I hope Elon will eat his pride on this one. It's ok to be wrong about something every now and then. It makes you appreciate the other 99% when you were right. No one is perfect. The most important thing to remember is that "sunk cost" rule.
I couldn't disagree more.

We love our X and the Falcon Wing doors!!

Watch Top Gear tonight and see that even they think the doors are practical.

How is it obvious that most people don't want them? Reviewers who spent most of their limited time in front seats? Or people hating them just because it challenges status quo of cars? I have read a lot of reviews from owners, sure some people don't see their value but there are significant number of them who absolutely love them. It's too early now.

I really wish people would stop floating this preposterous idea. For starters, the FWDs aren't going anywhere, ever. The costs to redesign the entire X would dwarf any long term warranty costs. Second, it'd totally kill sales in the mean time should someone get a whiff something was up. Last, but not least, I haven't met a single X owner that doesn't enjoy the doors in their practical everyday use. There are still some kinks to be worked out from what I understand, but all very manageable...

The idea of replacing the FWDs with something else, something more "normal", is just silly and isn't based in any sense of reality...

Jeff

Yeah, love my FWDs. I personally think they're way more convenient than reg doors. Practical? Probably not from an engineering standpoint, but sure as heck makes getting the kids in and out of the car easier. Oh, added benefit: when we open the doors, the kids can't wait to get in (5 and 2 years old).

I spent several days with an X and yes, the falcon wing doors are overdesigned and not all that necessary. They're sometimes finicky and don't open all the way because they think there's something in the way. They make access to the rear seats easier in tight parking but the front seats are still constrained by the limits of traditional doors — limits that don't matter for either front or back when you've got Summon to park the car after everybody gets out. They're utterly confusing to people who don't know how to operate them (even after a few days I was still getting tripped up).

But you know what? They're so damn cool. Pretty much every other time I opened those doors in a public place I was engaged in conversation about this insane car. They really do make getting into and out of the rear seats easier. And even though they serve the same function as a traditional column-hinged door or sliding mini-van style door, they just seem so much more awesome.

If he could go back in time and push the fancy falcon wing doors to version 2 of the Model X, would Elon do it? Possibly. The hyper-complicated doors were in part responsible for 18-month delay it took to get the Model X into production. But at the same time, they're a signature feature that makes the Model X more than just a taller Model S.

All of that isn't even mentioning that while it would be technically possible to replace the falcon wing doors with hinged doors, that's not remotely in the realm of possibility. It would be a herculean engineering task, encompassing the interior and exterior design, safety structure, electronics, safety testing, manufacturing, and external suppliers.

Yes, the doors are kinda stupid but also incredibly amazing and they aren't going anywhere.

Ok let me just say this one thing about human behavior.
If one is happy, they will either a) enjoy and be quiet, b) show it in person to others who care, c) not really post about it online unless there is a motivation, or simply acknowledge that the said feature is good.
If one is sad, a) they will bicker about it very likely on online forums and social media, b) rinse and repeat step (a)
I for one am getting the X over the S(which I lust after) solely for the FWD and utility.
X = S + FWD, hence X >> S

I think you're mixing production issues with design issues. With thousands of Model X on the road I think you're describing a situation that does not exist. There's plenty to like about FWd as long as you can live with it's limitations.

I'm still looking forward to hear how functional they are in winter (EM says that they have test facility in Norway so perhaps it'll be all fine).

Reactions: Hengist

There's no going back now. They will have to make the doors work. Maybe they could consider changing in the next major revision but that's likely 8-10 years away.

What are the spec's of your MODEL X...build date , VIN etc and can you put those down in your signature.....Yes I love FWD

I don't think Musk did this only for practical reasons. He did it to capture people's attention and imagination so that he could sell future models with no advertising.

Also, I think it's easy to say a v1 of something is a bad idea - if no one did ambitious things with v1's there are many amazing products we'd never have. Instead, Think about how great v2 or v3 of the auto presenting doors and FWD will be.

• Love
Reactions: madodel
They're ok, but very buggy (at least in my X). I say that because often they fail to open or close despite my efforts to keep well clear of them. And my passenger-side FWD has developed an ominous knock every time it closes...I think it is only a matter of time until it fails. I love my car, but every day I'm thankful I leased it...I have a feeling the early models are going to be the source of problems for years to come...hopefully they'll sort it out and the doors will become more reliable after they have built 10 or 20 thousand of them and made a few revisions to the initial design.

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes?