TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Musk : Model S battery cost less than half the cost per kilowatt hour of Roadster

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by EVNow, Jan 6, 2012.

1. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Ofcourse, the big news out of the GigaOm interview with Musk is the Model X reveal. But here is something interesting. I've been thinking for sometime that the battery price will halve every 5 years. We had some discussions about it in a different thread.

12 tech leaders Tech News and Analysis

The difference between selling S & Roadster is roughly 4 1/2 years (Feb-2008 to Jul-2012). Musk says the cost actually decreased by more than 50%. Ofcourse, it is possible he is comparing the cost now to something much earlier than Feb-2008. Still, this is instructive.

If we take his 9% per year cost reduction, we get to 38% reduction in 5 years.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

He is probably also taking into account the automation they've added for building the packs, which could dramatically reduce their labor costs. The Roadster batteries were rather more hand-made.

3. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

That is possible - but I read that comment as raw cell costs that Tesla pays ...

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

It's not uncommon that big price drops simply come with automation and volume, so I'd assume it's some combination of factors.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Not sure how "hand made" Roadster batteries are. On a tour of AC Propulsion they were semi automated for making prototype battery packs. I could not imaging Tesla would not have a robot assembly for repetitive tasks.

On the dates you have to think about when they "locked in" The first Roadsters were out in 2006 so maybe they chose a form much earlier than when deliveries started.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

7. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I watched the "soldering" process for the Roadster packs at their facility (Deer Creek? I'm forgetting which one now) -- it was robotic. The entire process wasn't automated for sure, but the ridiculously tedious stuff was automated.