Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk on hypothetical buyer for Telsa Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From an interview on Bloomberg:

"Another important question loams on Tesla’s horizon: will the electric vehicle maker get bought out? As Musk told Bloomberg Wednesday, his company would be a very expensive purchase, but it could look good to somebody. “I’d guess it would come from outside the auto industry,” he said. “It would be a buyer with a very large cash position.”

Gosh, who could he possibly be referring to?

"Another important question loams on Tesla’s horizon: will the electric vehicle maker get bought out? As Musk told Bloomberg Wednesday, his company would be a very expensive purchase, but it could look good to somebody. “I’d guess it would come from outside the auto industry,” he said. “It would be a buyer with a very large cash position.”

I can think of one, except in all its wisdom it has decided on spending most of that large cash position on buying its own stocks instead of other companies' stocks.

“I’d guess it would come from outside the auto industry,” he said. “It would be a buyer with a very large cash position.”

HEY!

1. I am from outside the auto industry, and

2. I have a very large cash position!

or would.....if I sold my TSLA shares......:rolleyes:

I see it as, if any car maker is going to outright buy Tesla its going to be one that is hurting in the EV race. Really that put people like Dodge (though i know they dont have the cash) maybe ford if their EV sales dont pick up or BMW. Who i really see buying them is still Daimler. They already own a large portion, not doing much in EVs, and probably have a mountain of cash they are able to drop on them.

out of the auto industery, ya it have to be said its going to be goople. Tech companys with cash in hand. Google would be able to benefit highly as it seems most of their new fancy ventures are bust at the moment.

I would have thought that a complementary engineering company would be most suited for a takeover. Google is just about adverts and software that is an entry point to the advertising revenue. Great if you want to be driving along and have suggestion of where to stop based on your shopping preferences. Kind of reminds me of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Happy Vertical People Transporter.

A better fit would be a company that uses a lot of batteries (leverage on cost and a common R&D need), electronics, volume purchaser of components (LCD screens), connectivity, global supply chain management and a luxury brand recognition. A company that has great COO who can drive component prices to the floor with just in time delivery but who's corporate leadership is not what it used to be...

I would be all in favour of an Apple tie-up (if there was one). Cook to go back to being COO with Musk becoming the CEO. Cross sell with a Tesla in every Apple store. Mountings for iPads in the back for the kids to watch films while on the move.

Stacks of cash looking for a home. A company that aspires to be green and a size big enough to take on the oil companies/legacy car manufactures.

Basically, take the wheels off and what do you have. A load of electronic circuits, displays, software and batteries all wrapped up in aluminium. Sounds a lot like an Apple product.