Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk on Tesla Pickup: ‘Coolest Car I’ve Ever Seen’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Speaking at Tesla’s 2019 shareholders meeting on Tuesday, Chief Executive Elon Musk continued to build hype for the planned Tesla pickup.

“I think it’s the coolest car I’ve ever seen, to be frank,” Musk said of the truck which is said to have a “cyberpunk” design. “Not everyone may share that opinion, but worse-case scenario, we build a normal looking truck.”

Musk said the pickup will likely be unveiled by the end of the summer. It’s going to be interesting to see just how far the pickup’s design differs from other trucks on the market.

“This is something that if you’re driving down the road it looks like it came out of a sci-fi movie,” Musk said.

He said the company aims to build “something more functional than a [Ford] F-150, but a better sports car than a basic [Porsche] 911.”

Tesla’s pickup plan seems necessarily aggressive. In order to win over pickup buyers, Tesla’s truck needs to exude toughness, utility, and performance that will help compensate for doubts that an electric pickup is equally capable of heavy jobs.

When a shareholder asked if the Tesla pickup would be capable of carrying her horses, Musk said Tesla would match or exceed the towing capability of Ford’s F-150.

Musk recently said the pickup will start at $49,000. “You should be able to buy a really great truck for $49k or less,” Musk said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was disappointed to hear Elon state that the F150 was the targeted competition for the Tesla Pickup. I was hoping for something with a higher weight rating for towing an RV. An F150 can't take much of a load on the hitch or in the bed.

I have a feeling that is a direct response to the Ford/Rivian partnership that will see a fully electric F150 soon. I'm surprised he didn't reference the Rivian truck that is already available for pre-order, but perhaps they don't want to draw attention to the competitor?

I have a feeling that is a direct response to the Ford/Rivian partnership that will see a fully electric F150 soon. I'm surprised he didn't reference the Rivian truck that is already available for pre-order, but perhaps they don't want to draw attention to the competitor?

Elon has famously said don't show me the powerpoint, show me the samples. He never pays attention to those things that are only on paper. Ford's investment in Rivian is a pretty desperate move because top executives need to show something to the board for the EV and tech mandate. In reality Ford does not need any know how to build trucks. It already is the world's most prominent truck builder. It's only interested in EV technology for which Rivian has none, other than those on powerpoints.

Musk on Tesla Pickup: ‘Coolest Car I’ve Ever Seen’

I think by using the term CAR pretty much settles what we will see. Honda Ridgeline type pickup tucks is what I suspect will be shipped which I feel isn't really a Truck.

I'm curious what the suspension will end up being, and if there will be a frame or unibody construction.

5vlcn5alwl531.jpg

Cyberpunk Tesla Pick-up? : teslamotors

• Informative
Reactions: Sean Wagner
Yeah, Elon is the master of hype.

But I do hope for a 200kWh pack and a 240/30A plug in the back. Would be a huge help when charging my Alta - save me from dragging a generator to a race. From a towing standpoint, F150 will be fine for me. 6x10 motorcycle trailer and 24' jet boat are all I need to tow.

Heck, there are plenty of people around here with Raptors that have never even seen a gravel road.

What do you think of hub motors for the rear wheels? This way you get a bed that can lower to the ground for easy loading because no drive unit under it. Ground clearance to bed height ratio for off road stability gets better too.

argument against hub motors is unsprung weight. Unless you have several wheels on each side each with it’s own smaller hub motor! Then you get low unsprung weigh for all situations except long high speed bumps where several wheels spring simultaneously. So what do you say about a multi wheel hub motor pickup?

Last edited:
Remember that Elon is from South Africa and cab forward designs are common....especially when there is no need to house a ICE...
Tesla is pretty proud of their crash test ratings. Can they do much of a crumple zone with no front to the vehicle? Pure speculation, but I would imagine that South Africa's safety standards are different.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe