Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk promises AP will be able to avoid potholes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
upload_2019-4-7_15-48-35.png

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Engr and boonedocks
Good to know!

But has any company planned to incorporate that to ADAS or Autonomous technology sooner like by the year 2030 or 2040?

I am not aware of anyone steering around them.

Many cars — including the new Ford Fusion and Focus — detect potholes and adjust their suspension. There are some different approaches to this but basically the idea is that by dropping individual wheels real-time you can glive over them instead of dropping into them. Mercedes Benz S-Class I believe was amongst the first to implement camera-based detection earlier in the decade and many German brands have similar.

Tesla unfortunately is a bit antiquated in their dynamic suspension and shocks department so smart features there are not something they can just implement in software so I would indeed expect steering would be their choice.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
That can’t be easy. I’ve missed potholes myself driving at highway speeds in traffic, or had brief moments where I thought a patch job was a pothole since the darker color of the new paving material stands out. It would be a remarkably impressive achievement if anyone could get there even with lidar, let lone vision alone.

It might be possible to detect and store the geo location of the pot hole. The first tesla would hit it and then none after. This is a feature tesla definitely wants. It will reduce warranty claims and repairs.
That can’t be easy. I’ve missed potholes myself driving at highway speeds in traffic, or had brief moments where I thought a patch job was a pothole since the darker color of the new paving material stands out. It would be a remarkably impressive achievement if anyone could get there even with lidar, let lone vision alone.

It wasn't easy returning rockets and landing them vertically which had never been done before, except in the 1950s Buck Rogers films where they were tied to strings ;) Elon's SpaceX team did it.

Pot holes? A piece of cake by comparison.:D

Reactions: sootless
I assume this will need a few spins in the software 2.0 loop before it’sready. First they need to make their labelers label tons of potholes. Then they need to make an algorithm to estimate where potholes are in local frame. Then they need to gather data on which potholes humans avoid, which potholes humans slow down for and which ones we ignore. Then they need to find a good tradeoff between staying in line, having a good distance to other vehicles and avoiding potholes. Then they can start adding potholes to their maps. Then they can even add lane planning to avoid potholes.

Give it like 5-10 software updates into the future and the system should be really nice.

Reactions: Engr