Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Reevaluates Tesla Cybertruck Width: Size Matters, So Go Wide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
In general, full-size trucks are all about the same width and there are reasons for this. The Tesla Cybertruck will not be some small, mid-size pickup truck. Rather, it will be a full-size electric pickup truck and, as such, certain size measurements are expected. Tesla CEO Elon Musk had initially said that the production Cybertruck...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/02/24/tesla-cybertruck-width-size/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

This is what we talked about after the unveil... that the truck looked wider than advertised. Cause it is. Non-truck owners are going to be surprised at how large and wide this vehicle is. It isn't going in your garage, parallel parking is no fun, there are regulations for vehicles 80in or wider, so on so forth...

This is what we talked about after the unveil... that the truck looked wider than advertised. Cause it is. Non-truck owners are going to be surprised at how large and wide this vehicle is. It isn't going in your garage, parallel parking is no fun, there are regulations for vehicles 80in or wider, so on so forth...

Yep. Its 5" wider than my current vehicle... and almost 32" longer. I've got a tail end reservation, so lots of time to reconsider, but this is way bigger than I was expecting.

If you make a vehicle that's over 80 inches wide, it starts to fall into various "commercial vehicle" categories, and one of the requirements of vehicles this size is that they have -- in the words of our government -- "three amber front and three red rear identification lamps spaced between 6 and 12 inches apart at the center of the front and rear of the vehicle, as high as practicable." This is why you see these lights on an F-150 Raptor (over 80 inches wide) and not on a regular F-150 (79.9 inches wide -- likely not a coincidence). It's also why you see the lights on heavy-duty trucks and not light-duty models.

And so that's why certain vehicles have little orange marker lights on the roof. Now, every time you'll see them, you'll know they're mandated by the government. Though if you're like me, you're probably still a little fuzzy on exactly why they're mandated. Nonetheless, they're there. Find a truck for sale

Doug DeMuro is an automotive journalist who has written for many online and magazine publications. He once owned a Nissan Cube and a Ferrari 360 Modena. At the same time.