Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Responds to Requests for Rain-Sensing Wipers, Disco Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Tuesday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk asked followers for suggestions to improve Tesla’s product offerings. And, he quickly agreed to implement a few of the suggestions.

For instance, he replied to a request for remote operated heated windows, seats and steering wheel by saying to expect the feature in the company’s next software update.

Rain-sensing windshield wipers seem to be on the way too.

Better maps and navigation are coming, as Musk mentioned last week.

He said major browser upgrades are coming to all cars in a few months.

Musk also mentioned that the company may give more attention to Tesla Energy products in 2018.

Musk even seemed receptive to a request for a “Disco Mode” that syncs that car’s music to lights, saying the idea “sounds like good, cheesy fun :).”

Last edited by a moderator:
For things that could already could be created by the current cars, I would say a part where I can see the numbers I like to see in front of me.
When I'm a father driving around with a caravan, I'm probably way more interested in the consumption numbers, how much my speed is and how much energy my car has left, so I want those numbers big in my screen. At the same time, a mother driving the kids around is perhaps more interested in the temperature outside, what date and time it currently is and perhaps the name of the song out of her speakers or get the numbers in front of you in pink!

In other words, could it be possible to design your own screen in front of you? Where you can decide what kind of information that screen shows and in what way? And how big it should be showed? Perhaps you can even share your design with other tesla drivers, so people can see each others examples and think, hey that's a nice one! I want that!

• Disagree
Reactions: JenniferQ
You can do that to an extent. The thumb wheels on the steering wheel allow you to scroll thru display options.

What I think would be a very good accessory given more widespread non-homeowners getting into Model 3s is a charger than can merge power from seperate 110v sources in the house. Thus combine 3 circuits for a total of 36amps at 110v yielding about 12miles range per hour charging. Good option when you can't get 220v.

I have not responded to Elon's tweet, and won't now because there are thousands of others ahead of me. But if I had seen it in time, I would have said something to the effect that to be great, his company needs to expand its design perspective beyond California. The cars so far are not truly practical in cold climates, in particular. My biggest beef is the frameless windows. They are simply a pain in the butt in ice or snow, and impractical even with using preheat and other tricks to minimize the effort to remove ice before you try to open a door. Another example is the very weak rear window defroster on the Model S. Yes, i know the cars sell well in Norway, but I think that is in large part because of strong financial incentives. And I applaud the Norwegians for tolerating the winter inadequacies of the Teslas.
Yes, the cars are manageable in winter. Mine is a daily driver and I have used in every day in our current cold snap, and driven it in snow and so on. But it could be a lot better and more competitive.

On Tuesday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk asked followers for suggestions to improve Tesla’s product offerings. And, he quickly agreed to implement a few of the suggestions. For instance, he replied to a request for remote operated heated windows, seats and steering wheel by saying to expect the feature in the company’s next software update. Should...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/12/27/musk-responds-to-requests-for-rain-sensing-wipers-disco-mode/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
Every time I try to read this article and start to scroll down, the page jumps back up. This happens repeatedly until I give up. I notice that the indicator on the tab shows it is constantly rotating (circling blue loading indication)
Anyone else have this experience? I use Windows 10 and Chrome...

Every time I try to read this article and start to scroll down, the page jumps back up. This happens repeatedly until I give up. I notice that the indicator on the tab shows it is constantly rotating (circling blue loading indication)
Anyone else have this experience? I use Windows 10 and Chrome...

Yes. It happens. I recall pressing the stop cross/button inside the tab (or something like that) for the page - or perhaps pressing Esc? - helped stop the reloading loop...

Musk tweets aren't worth much - too many examples of Elon tweets turning into radio silence, "3 months probably, 6 months for sure" anyone?

True. But together with many other data points they can still be useful. While the risk of bias exists (e.g. a reason to mislead) they can still inform us of the mind of a person in the know... Which can shed some light.

As said, corporate news, fact and future product info hunting is an inexact science. We'll never know anything for sure, but we can improve our overall knowledge by taking in data, analyzing and adjusting as we get new data...

I would never take Elon's tweets at face value anymore (fool me once...). But ignoring them would not be the best approach either.

You can do that to an extent. The thumb wheels on the steering wheel allow you to scroll thru display options.

What I think would be a very good accessory given more widespread non-homeowners getting into Model 3s is a charger than can merge power from seperate 110v sources in the house. Thus combine 3 circuits for a total of 36amps at 110v yielding about 12miles range per hour charging. Good option when you can't get 220v.

1. Dude this isn't the 1800s, the US is on 120v and 240v and has been since the early 1900s.

2. Combining 3 circuits of 120v to get 240v would require very expensive equipment and insanely long cables. You'll never see that happen. There is however already a product on the market to combine 2 circuits of 120v to 240v if you want to buy one. 220 and 240 Voltage Converters for Everyday Use

Obviously you know the voltage ranges I refer to. In fact there is variance on the line voltage that equipment uses on many places. IE working in a power plant I see 208v up to 240v on those type circuits (that is plate rating, not measured).

You misunderstood my proposed device. It would remain at 110v (or 120v if you'e got to be picky), the delivered amps would be increased spread over 2 or 3 breakers. I am not a sparky, but I do know that what you mention requires a transformer (changing voltage). Drawing power on 3 seperate circuits for a higher total output should be doable, but I don' know what switches, relays etc might be required. The concept is like muxing, using several slow connections to create one fast one.

Reactions: marchino
As a suggestion for the future, mine would be;
A socket in a car, that would mean you can get electricity literally everywhere you like as long as your car can get there.
In the middle of a forrest? No problem, if your car can get there, your microwave or BBQ will work there.
Construcion workers don't need to work with a generator any more, the fridge in your caravan can be turned on while driving, you can make coffee in it while your car is parked, you can charge your laptop while driving, you can even install a serious television in your car and your wife can dry her hair while you're driving. Your car becomes a wireless mini grid! And it's something petrol cars can't really do ;)!

And it's something petrol cars can't really do ;)!

I like your idea. Though, of course, ironically this is something petrol cars can do today and Tesla can not.

Electrical sockets are not really rare in premium ICE cars (the type where you can e.g. plug in your regular laptop or other normal device), they are common options from e.g. the Germans.

A BEV could do it much more elegantly and powerfully, so hopefully one day Tesla will improve their interior offering.

I like your idea. Though, of course, ironically this is something petrol cars can do today and Tesla can not.

Electrical sockets are not really rare in premium ICE cars (the type where you can e.g. plug in your regular laptop or other normal device), they are common options from e.g. the Germans.

A BEV could do it much more elegantly and powerfully, so hopefully one day Tesla will improve their interior offering.
You mean such a 12 volt thing with a converter? Yes that works, but you can't use your washing machine or barbeque all day since the the 12 volt battery doesn't have 100kWh like Tesla. In fact, I would be surprised if it has over 2kWh

You mean such a 12 volt thing with a converter? Yes that works, but you can't use your washing machine or barbeque all day since the the 12 volt battery doesn't have 100kWh like Tesla. In fact, I would be surprised if it has over 2kWh

I mean a built-in converter, many ICE manufacturers offer a standard "wall plug" in their premium cars - but you are right about the wattage limitations, definitely a BEV could make it much more powerful, and of course an ICE must remain turned on and polluting.

I guess this remains one of those possibilities BEV in theory offers, but does not yet in practice unfortunately. As said, I like the idea.

Musk Responds to Requests for Rain-Sensing Wipers, Disco Mode
http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F08%2Fi-regret-nothing.gif

disco_on_enterprise_gif_by_katary.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Paul Carter