Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk said all cars would get HW 3.0, according to InsideEVs Article

Should Telsa upgrade all HW 2.5 to 3 for free after the date Musk said this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

So why can't I get my 2.5 hardware upgraded for free for my model 3, which was made in June 2019? I bought it and assumed I would get latest based on this remark. I hear Autopilot works much better with HW 3, and I have to live with this old hardware or pay 10k for FSD! Not sure how FSD will ever handle Canadian winters! I feel swindled!

Here's Elon Musk Saying All Tesla Cars Would Get HW 3.0

Better to upgrade, especially if free, cannot hurt resale value even if you don't have FSD.​

Normally, Tesla hates hardware upgrades. It prefers owners to trade in their car and get a different one.

HW3 upgrade is an exception because I suspect that the FSD volume seems to be low prior to HW3 availability and it tried to promote FSD even if the hardware were not powerful enough for the job.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC

So why can't I get my 2.5 hardware upgraded for free for my model 3, which was made in June 2019? I bought it and assumed I would get latest based on this remark. I hear Autopilot works much better with HW 3, and I have to live with this old hardware or pay 10k for FSD! Not sure how FSD will ever handle Canadian winters! I feel swindled!
Please provide a time stamp to the point that Musk said ALL Tesla cars would be upgraded. Was not said an is not even possible.
Here's Elon Musk Saying All Tesla Cars Would Get HW 3.0

I'm fairly certain that Musk said all cars produced after a certain date would have the HW3 computer in them. I bought my second Model 3 on that assumption. But I did not buy FSD, and my car, which was produced after the cutoff date, ended up with HW2.5, because I think they had production issues with HW3, or just wanted to get rid of the 2.5 chips they had left. I get why they did what they did. I understand the argument that "you only require HW3 for FSD, and you'll get it for free if you buy FSD". However, Musk clearly promised one thing, and silently delivered something else. If he had not promised the HW3 computer, nobody would complain (probably not true, people like to complain about everything, but their complaints would be less justified). There are differences in performance which will likely roll out in the future that would make Autopilot better with the HW3 vs 2.5 computer. Even if it's something as meaningless as random sign visualizations. I believe if you've got a HW3 car without FSD, you still get the neat party trick visualizations, which you don't get with HW2.5. Again, completely irrelevant if the HW3 chip wasn't promised in all cars made after May xx 2019.