Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk said all cars would get HW 3.0, according to InsideEVs Article

Should Telsa upgrade all HW 2.5 to 3 for free after the date Musk said this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that. That was not my point.
To clarify, is this what you were referring to?
First picture of Tesla's new Hardware 3 self-driving computer in the wild - Electrek
So, according to the article “Tesla said that the new computer was in all new Model S and Model X since March (start around March 20th) and in all new Model 3 vehicles since April (starting around April 12th).”
If you purchased yours new in June 2019 then according to the article your car should’ve come with HW3 already installed. Tesla was also installing HW2.5 in 2020 MY cars from China and there was a big issue with that. So, in that respect I see where you’re coming from; however, HW3 by itself isn’t going to get you the FSD features other than some visuals that you won’t get with HW2.5.

To clarify, is this what you were referring to?
First picture of Tesla's new Hardware 3 self-driving computer in the wild - Electrek
So, according to the article “Tesla said that the new computer was in all new Model S and Model X since March (start around March 20th) and in all new Model 3 vehicles since April (starting around April 12th).”
If you purchased yours new in June 2019 then according to the article your car should’ve come with HW3 already installed. Tesla was also installing HW2.5 in 2020 MY cars from China and there was a big issue with that. So, in that respect I see where you’re coming from; however, HW3 by itself isn’t going to get you the FSD features other than some visuals that you won’t get with HW2.5.
My car was made on June 8, 2019 (my wedding anniversary), and it's HW 2.5! If I order FSD, they will upgrade HW. I'm pissed that I have old HW for my new 60K car, when it was clear to me that I should have gotten HW 3.0. FSD costs $10k CAD.

My car was made on June 8, 2019 (my wedding anniversary), and it's HW 2.5! If I order FSD, they will upgrade HW. I'm pissed that I have old HW for my new 60K car, when it was clear to me that I should have gotten HW 3.0. FSD costs $10k CAD.
So according to this article you should be able to get HW3:
Tesla Delivered New Model 3s in China with Old Autopilot Processors
Granted, the article references vehicles made in China but I would think it would also apply to you? Have you contacted Tesla or the store where you had delivery? Again, I don’t think the car is “less safe” if you don’t have HW3 but i can understand your position.

I mean you really dont need the FSD computer without the need for calculating fsd tasks. 2.5 is more than enough needed for regular autopilot. You are not getting any different experience between the 2 hardware so so need to worry

He said that he was wanting hw3 because it is safer but honestly autopilot is not a yet a self drive system so you rather just drive manually

I've been driving manually for a long time, more than 4 decades.

I still drove manually with my first 2012 Model S.

But once, I got 2017 Autopilot, it's much safer with it than without.

I still manually drive the car but I am more like a coordinator than a driver: I mix and match manual with automation, mix and match all modes of automation: TACC, Autopilot, Navigation on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change...

I use Autopilot as a tool rather than letting it drive on its own.

With the coordination between human and Autopilot, I think my driving has been drastically safer since I first got it for the past 3 years.

I would not recommend letting the car runs all on its own without a driver's intervention. In that case, of course, a manual drive will be much safer.

I've been driving manually for a long time, more than 4 decades.

I still drove manually with my first 2012 Model S.

But once, I got 2017 Autopilot, it's much safer with it than without.

I still manually drive the car but I am more like a coordinator than a driver: I mix and match manual with automation, mix and match all modes of automation: TACC, Autopilot, Navigation on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change...

I use Autopilot as a tool rather than letting it drive on its own.

With the coordination between human and Autopilot, I think my driving has been drastically safer since I first got it for the past 3 years.

I would not recommend letting the car runs all on its own without a driver's intervention. In that case, of course, a manual drive will be much safer.
But the thing is he only has autopilot not fsd, so he would have to drive mostly manually anyways. It would be safer for him to manually drive on city streets and country streets because his car can’t stop at lights or signs. Therefore he doesn’t need the fsd computer. He says he wants the computer for more safety but he wont get that with just autopilot

• Disagree
Reactions: BEPA400
But the thing is he only has autopilot not fsd, so he would have to drive mostly manually anyways. It would be safer for him to manually drive on city streets and country streets because his car can’t stop at lights or signs. Therefore he doesn’t need the fsd computer. He says he wants the computer for more safety but he wont get that with just autopilot
FSD today or in five years does not change the safety benefits that come from using basic autopilot as it is.

Ok, I guess I disagree with you then. I find it safer to drive like I’m driving manually, but with autopilot on.. so I’m like a backstop to autopilot doing something stupid. Isn’t that safer?

No.
Because you are never 100% attentive with AP on, and AP remains flaky, at best.
And if you know how to apex the turns properly, you can't keep AP engaged and steer at the same time, as the stupid thing always takes a weird and jerky lines through far too many turns.

There are a few scenarios where I'm semi-comfortable on AP (highways, mostly), and continue to use it.
For my daily commute, there are at least 5 areas where AP continues to fail, disengages, steers into a ditch and/or tree on the side of the road. Numerous OTA updates have yielded no material improvement.

On an average drive to work, I don't "almost crash" 5+ times.
Continuously correcting and guarding against AP mistakes does not make for a "safer" car. Entertaining - perhaps. But not safer.
Thus, I've stopped engaging AP for the daily commute.

YMMV.

No.
Because you are never 100% attentive with AP on, and AP remains flaky, at best.
And if you know how to apex the turns properly, you can't keep AP engaged and steer at the same time, as the stupid thing always takes a weird and jerky lines through far too many turns.

There are a few scenarios where I'm semi-comfortable on AP (highways, mostly), and continue to use it.
For my daily commute, there are at least 5 areas where AP continues to fail, disengages, steers into a ditch and/or tree on the side of the road. Numerous OTA updates have yielded no material improvement.

On an average drive to work, I don't "almost crash" 5+ times.
Continuously correcting and guarding against AP mistakes does not make for a "safer" car. Entertaining - perhaps. But not safer.
Thus, I've stopped engaging AP for the daily commute.

YMMV.
Ymmv indeed. I drive the sea to sky highway today vancouver to Squamish and was about 80% on AP. It was pretty smooth in the corners. Better than the same time one year ago. In the past year I’ve had about 5 times where I think AP would have crashed me. Hard to say if it really would have because I didn’t let it get me into that trouble. Crazy that happens to you five times per drive!! That is very startling. ymmv indeed!
Sure it doesn’t Apex very well to optimize top speed, but it compensates by slowing down adequately for corners, enough that my steering guard/input wouldn’t override the AP. And believe me that highway is all corners. (AP is great on that highway because otherwise you are going to have too much fun and drive way too fast)

How do you know what HW version you have? I bought my Model 3 in Sept 2019.

Do I have 2.5 or 3? Can I check somehow? I have no intention of ever buying or using FSD but I feel I’m missing out if I don’t have 3 and will therefore need to start a campaign, or petition, or something, to express my dissatisfaction at not having something I don’t actually need.... :cool:

There have been subjective reports that HW3.0 can do better Autopilot than HW2.0 and 2.5.

Even if that is true Tesla is not obligated to replace your hardware for free until NHTSA can prove that there's a safety problem.

It is very hard to prove that there is a safety problem when what you bought is SAE Level 2 that shifts the responsibility of driving to the driver, not Autopilot. Not even in case of a clear fatality.

Lastly, there has been no objective tests proving that HW3.0 can do better Autopilot than HW2.0 and 2.5.
I can attest to EAP (2.0/2.5) being nerfed as late as 12.2020 however 2.0 was notably worse. HW3 was marginally better but saw major improvement as of 16.2020.