TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Musk Says Access to V9 Software is Weeks Away

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by TMC Staff, Sep 5, 2018.

1. TMC Staff

Tesla’s highly-anticipated Software Version 9 is “not right yet,” according to Chief Executive Elon Musk, who tweeted that he’s been running the update in his own car. Still, “advanced early access users” are expected to receive the new software “in a week or two,” then the release be “more broadly” available by the end of...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Active Member

This is a complete non-issue but of course the shorts will spin it as another case of Tesla and Elon "missing" a "promise". He said September right? Today is the 5th. 25 more days to go. Absolute contrived negativism but hey, what do I know? This is so old and tiresome.

Dan

• Like x 2
  3. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Honestly, is anyone even surprised that this is yet another deadline that is not met? Not trolling or anything but expectation management at Tesla could use some work. Unfortunately, this will be picked up by the press again that they don't make another deadline.
    For me personally, I've always assumed that I will be happy if we get it by the end of the year. Anything sooner is even better.

• Like x 1
  4. Dan Detweiler

Just curious how you can say that when the "deadline", which wasn't even a deadline but an estimate, isn't even late yet. Then, if it does end up being late he said that would be maybe a week or two. Are we that obsessed with this stuff that a week is going to matter? And THAT hasn't even happened yet. I just don't get it.

Dan

• Like x 2
  5. dramsey

dramsey Member

Well, yeah, but previously he said "August". Remember?

Tesla’s version 9 software update is coming in August with first ‘full self-driving features’, says Elon Musk

It does look cool, though. Presumably we'll have it by the end of the year.

6. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

This guy EVER hit a deadline?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Dan Detweiler

8. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

9. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like x 1
  10. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

So...for the folks that dont like the new UI....can one choose not to do the "upgrade"?

• Disagree x 1
  11. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

That title is very misleading as it is only true for EAP, Early Access Program, users. Not the general public.

12. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

Yes, you can opt not to upgrade. but then you don't get the new features. And once they make the design switch, you won't be getting any new features of bug fixes as long as you don't install the update and therefore get the new design.
    I don't like the look of it either at the moment. Feeling the design with popups is so 90s. It might work on the Model 3 landscape screen, but I don't see the use of it on a portrait screen. But I guess the only option is to get used to it. Not much we can do about it once they made up their mind...

But on the other hand, wouldn't it be awesome if we could have some skins to choose from how we want the data presented to us?

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Absolutely this. People that have been around a while know that the date quoted is very unlikely to actually be hit. However, new owners might not know this and will be disappointed, and of course the press and shorts will spin it around like crazy.

• Like x 1
  14. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

I understand the sarcasm, but Tesla is hardly new anymore. They can't use the excuse of being a startup no more...

15. dramsey

dramsey Member

Yeah, but in January 2017 he told us we'd see FSD features DEFINITELY within 6 months:

Elon Musk on Twitter

So it's not "a few weeks". It's more like 18+ months. Just sayin'. Still think we're close now given the leaks we've seen. But I've owned Teslas since early 2013 and I don't ever recall Elon hitting a deadline. Generally he's YEARS late.

• Like x 1
  16. Brando

Brando Active Member

Tesla Motors started in 2003 and 15 years later we have Fremont & GigaFactory.
    Which is exactly why after a decade (2008-2018) There are many other competitors to the Roadster, Model S, Model X and the Model 3.
    Can you please help me out and list these competitive offering?

thanks for the help/information.

• Funny x 1
  17. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

I fail to see how those two points are related. If I'm the only one creating a certain product I'm forever a startup?
    Being a startup is just a mode of operation. With 30.000 employees worldwide, this is no longer just a startup, but an established company.

18. Brando

Brando Active Member

so what?
    avoiding telling me of the "other offerings" Making tens of millions per year, can you please list a few competitors?

why complain, go buy Nissan, Renault, BMW, Merc they never miss deadlines if that is so important to you.

19. Hank42

Hank42 Member

20. BigNick

BigNick Member

So, how would an owner become an Early Access Plan member?

• Like x 1