Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Access to V9 Software is Weeks Away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s highly-anticipated Software Version 9 is “not right yet,” according to Chief Executive Elon Musk, who tweeted that he’s been running the update in his own car.

Still, “advanced early access users” are expected to receive the new software “in a week or two,” then the release will be “more broadly” available by the end of the month, he said.

It seems the company may be slightly behind on the goal Musk stated during Tesla’s Q2 2018 earnings call to deliver to early access users in late-August or early-September, then a wide rollout in September. It’s not apparent in Musk’s tweet how “not right” the software is and exactly how broadly the software will be made available.

Speaking during the Q2 earnings call, Musk said:

“We’re hoping to get that out to early access program in about four weeks and then broadly in September. That’s the hardcore focus right now, and that will certainly include some significant advancements in autonomy. And then once that’s out and stable, I think that could be a good time to work on the coast-to-coast drive.”

Software Version 9 is an important release, the most significant overhaul in years. It will introduce the first features of Tesla’s Full Self-Driving system. The UI for the Model S and Model X is also expected to be updated.

TMC Member Jason Hughes (wk057) has been able to tinker with an alpha dev build of Version 9 and has shared a few details this week, including a mysterious “Drive On Nav” feature related to Autopilot.

Hughes also confirmed a fun new feature from the software update – the addition of classic Atari games like Asteroids and Pole Position that can be played on the car’s screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
so what?
avoiding telling me of the "other offerings" Making tens of millions per year, can you please list a few competitors?

why complain, go buy Nissan, Renault, BMW, Merc they never miss deadlines if that is so important to you.

I don't complain at all. I'm probably the last person on earth to complain about another missed deadline. With Tesla I never expect them to achieve them. I'm just pointing out that I can't understand that people are still expecting them to make any deadline.
But that is completely another point than you calling Tesla a startup. I'm not interesting in anything outside Tesla at the moment, although hopefully some serious competition will arrive soon. Because Tesla needs competition to drive up their levels of quality which is still below average in general (not talking about the drivability, but the fit and finish)

And competition is relative in a market where EVs are such a tiny fraction of the cars being made. There is enough room for all of them to coexist.

I
I don't complain at all. I'm probably the last person on earth to complain about another missed deadline. With Tesla I never expect them to achieve them. I'm just pointing out that I can't understand that people are still expecting them to make any deadline.
But that is completely another point than you calling Tesla a startup. I'm not interesting in anything outside Tesla at the moment, although hopefully some serious competition will arrive soon. Because Tesla needs competition to drive up their levels of quality which is still below average in general (not talking about the drivability, but the fit and finish)

And competition is relative in a market where EVs are such a tiny fraction of the cars being made. There is enough room for all of them to coexist.
sorry for using the word startup
IF the quality isn't good enough customers won't accept. You can say just no. right?

I

sorry for using the word startup
IF the quality isn't good enough customers won't accept. You can say just no. right?

That is a good question. Can you say "no" upon delivery if the quality is below par? Can you demand a new car and just not accept that one that has been delivered?
I guess I should have tried that, because this is now my second Model S and even though the fit was a lot better, the quality is way worse than my P85D was. I'm in service like every month at least to get some new problem fixed. Should have refused the car from the start...

That is a good question. Can you say "no" upon delivery if the quality is below par? Can you demand a new car and just not accept that one that has been delivered?
I guess I should have tried that, because this is now my second Model S and even though the fit was a lot better, the quality is way worse than my P85D was. I'm in service like every month at least to get some new problem fixed. Should have refused the car from the start...
and many states have lemon laws - look it up [and post it for others to learn]
As a consumer, you can always say no, especially the 3rd time.

Per Tesla from this article, they will make your delivery right:
Passion For Tesla Model 3 Triumphs Over Quality Concerns

About addressing issues at delivery: "Model 3 customers never have to worry because if they are unhappy with their car when they receive it, they can either give it back for a full refund, allow us to address any issues, or ask for an entirely new Tesla," a Tesla spokesperson told me.

Just a guess, but they probably have so much data that they can do a query of a set of specific use cases to ask someone to be in the Early Access program. Im assuming they have a ton in the california area, but then they need to branch out to other locations and driving style combos to get a good sample size. IMO this is quite unique. In my experience it is rather difficult to find beta testers in general, let alone to be picky enough to handle different use cases. So even if you have bought 5 Teslas, your driving style couple with your location may not be what they are looking for to diversify the testing.

Reactions: BigNick
Do we know if there will be any security enhancements in V9 ? I've long held the view that a simple pin code option before the car will drive would provide simple yet effective protection against the keyless entry thefts. (My Model S was stolen in 60 seconds earlier this year)

This is a complete non-issue but of course the shorts will spin it as another case of Tesla and Elon "missing" a "promise". He said September right? Today is the 5th. 25 more days to go. Absolute contrived negativism but hey, what do I know? This is so old and tiresome.

Dan

Actually he said August at first and he is now revising it to September. This is just a case of you not bothering to gather facts before making a statement

Actually he said August at first and he is now revising it to September. This is just a case of you not bothering to gather facts before making a statement
Ok,even if that is the case, you chose to focus on the negative (1 month later than initially projected). I chose to focus on the positive (what a massive improvement this update promises to be). I'll take mine a month late...you go buy a BMW or Audi or whatever your heart desires. I wish you all the best in getting updates to the car.

Dan

I have no desire for v9 features, and they have RUINED the U/I. I am already really pissed about this, not having portrait view optimized display and split screen.. wtf? The idea of OTA updates is for stuff to get better... not worse. They already broke the browser... ARGH.

Dan, what is the "massive improvement" I am missing here? I don't care about timing, Musk never hits a date, and defending him by parsing words is a joke IMO, but I don't care at all really, I never EVER believed the FSD story he was telling -- I bought the car for AP, and EV, and the beautiful screen and UI that I have today, and I LOVE MY CAR.

I will resist the update to V9 for sure.. I'd be happy to lock in the car as it is now (or as it was before they broke my browser).

I have no desire for v9 features, and they have RUINED the U/I. I am already really pissed about this, not having portrait view optimized display and split screen.. wtf? The idea of OTA updates is for stuff to get better... not worse. They already broke the browser... ARGH.

Dan, what is the "massive improvement" I am missing here? I don't care about timing, Musk never hits a date, and defending him by parsing words is a joke IMO, but I don't care at all really, I never EVER believed the FSD story he was telling -- I bought the car for AP, and EV, and the beautiful screen and UI that I have today, and I LOVE MY CAR.

I will resist the update to V9 for sure.. I'd be happy to lock in the car as it is now (or as it was before they broke my browser).
Drive to Nav for one...

Dan

I'll put money on it now, that it won't do what you think it means for a very long time. do you think that you can put in your route, and it will drive it for you, making lane changes to on-ramps/off-ramps, etc.? Safely. Nah.

I'll eat my hat and give you $$ if that is what comes out. Maybe... in a few years.

I bet instead it will *try* to do that, but require you to be on the wheel pretty heavily, especially for lane changes.

takers?

Drive to Nav for one...

Dan