Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

uujjj2

Aug 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
Federal Vehicle Code, 2030 edition:

"All autonomous cars must have a pop-up finger for V2V communication which can be seen clearly by both human and autonomous drivers from a distance of 10 meters. Autonomous vehicles receiving a V2V signal must act appropriately as specified in FMVSS Section 4.32."

johnm

Sep 16, 2014
MN, USA
I'm not sure siren detection has to be particularly good. What does a human do when they hear a siren? I think about my only action is to look more aggressively for flashing lights.

What are the possible actions the car can take on hearing a siren? It is already looking everywhere. Maybe it could lower a threshold for flashing light detection? Are there some intersections with poor visibility where it would make sense to slow down? Anything else?

Reactions: Matias

ThomasD

Nov 22, 2019
Breckenridge Co Ky
1626280084091.png

techlogik

Mar 22, 2021
FL
Hey, I take a lot of what Elon Musk says with a grain of salt, too... but I applaud him for trying. While he seems to overestimate what his companies can achieve in a given time, it *still* tends to result in positive outcomes. This overestimation is typical of overachievers.

Maybe FSD is a big failure, but:
  • Tesla's cars are great
  • The Super Charger network is ahead of everyone else
  • SpaceX is kicking butt
  • Many people seem to be happy with StarLink
I'm sure there are many more positives to add to that list.

What about the boring company and that great underground high speed transport systems? I mean, Walt Disney had this figured out and dreamed of it 50yrs ago...and......NADA....

DDSTEVE

May 5, 2021
Tyler Texas
Why is everyone here assuming that this will work on current Tesla cars? They already had HW2, 2.5 and 3, this is probably HW4 knowing how Elon works.

Also, note that "detect hand gestures" does not mean "react to hand gestures."

From the FSD v9 videos, seems like they should be focusing on "detecting huge concrete columns" first.
Good point! Driving down the road to my house the car sees every plastic garbage can but does not see the brick mail boxes at every house right on the curb.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Everything that comes out of this man's mouth is a shameful lie and should be reported as such. Tired of all the useless promises, undelivered features, and constant excuses from a man who, just last week, declared that "AI is really hard." Does the richest man in the world need a wambulance to put his mouth back in sync with reality?

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
The cars will listen…

Will this use the existing in-car microphone, or will it require an additional external microphone fitted?

As a mere human, I am sometimes fooled by siren like sounds in the music being played. A clever system will be able to subtract the cars‘ audio from the signal.

Cue the usual concerns of privacy advocates “Tesla is eavesdropping on our conversations“. A few hoops to jump through there.
The speaker for pedestrian warning could be used as a microphone for exterior sounds. Has a diaphragm, a coil and a magnet so it can turn sound into electrical signal.

father_of_6

Jan 24, 2021
Buffalo, NY
The speaker for pedestrian warning could be used as a microphone for exterior sounds. Has a diaphragm, a coil and a magnet so it can turn sound into electrical signal.
But it can't do both at the same time (pedestrian warning AND ambulance hearing). I guess though no one would hear that pedestrian warning over an ambulance anyway.

gearchruncher

Sep 20, 2016
Seattle, WA
This does not mean that the signal runs backwards through an amplifier and into an A/D converter.
I mean, sure, it could if the changed the HW, but at that point put a microphone in.
The speaker is only on about 5% of cars anyway.

dgatwood

Dec 20, 2017
Sunnyvale, ca
Also, in two years, the company will be making cars without steering wheels or pedals at all.”

Source
All they have to do is build two of them, and they've technically fulfilled that requirement. They don't even have to be capable of driving. :D

ScoobyDoo82

Mar 22, 2021
Los Angeles (818)
Everything that comes out of this man's mouth is a shameful lie and should be reported as such. Tired of all the useless promises, undelivered features, and constant excuses from a man who, just last week, declared that "AI is really hard." Does the richest man in the world need a wambulance to put his mouth back in sync with reality?
How do you really feel? Lol j/p. I can understand your frustration. I wouldn’t go as far as to call him an outright liar though. I would agree that he over promises A LOT.
Oh, and let’s talk about the meme stock tweets. That was straight criminal. The SEC surely hates him.
I tend to take it all as joke now. It’s funny. My neighbor and I yell “2 weeks” back and forth to each other all the time. It makes the Elon BS easier to swallow.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC