Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Cybertruck Updates Coming Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla plans to reveal an updated design for the Cybertruck in “a month or so,” Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

Tesla has been giving consideration to the Cybertruck’s hulking proportions, which could prevent the wildly-styled, bulletproof, pickup from fitting into the average suburban garage.

So, there’s a chance the truck could shrink slightly all around. Or, maybe not. Musk seems reluctant to change much, but says the new design is better, featuring many minor tweaks.

“Even the small details matter,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla has more than half a million reservations for the truck, so it will be interesting to hear reactions from consumers who have already shown intent to purchase the Cybertruck.

Tesla plans to build the vehicle at a new factory in Texas, which is currently under construction. The first examples of the the production Cybertruck are expected to roll off the line late next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it’s about managing our expectations. From what I see, the demand based upon the pre-reservations and the current state of production; no one should expect general availability before mid 2022.
That's wishful thinking. Tesla still hasn't officially provided estimated delivery dates. The plant where they are to be built is still not finished. Then they have to figure out how to do the production line. Not to be a pessimist, but based on Tesla's own history, always best to double any estimates they provide and add 2. My guess, early reservation holders just might see their trucks by the end of 2022. Model X was what, 4 years delayed. Model 3, a couple of years. How about all those that placed $50,000 or $250,000 deposits for the Roadster that was due in 2020? Having been a Tesla owner for 9 years now, I've learned, keep expectations VERY LOW to avoid disappointments. I paid for FSD on my past two Tesla's, still waiting for delivery. Already sold one of those cars, so never getting that $$ back. Even Elon admits that his estimated time lines are very optimistic. I have deposits / pre-orders in for the Hummer, Rivian & Cybertruck. First one to deliver gets my money.

That's wishful thinking. Tesla still hasn't officially provided estimated delivery dates. The plant where they are to be built is still not finished. Then they have to figure out how to do the production line. Not to be a pessimist, but based on Tesla's own history, always best to double any estimates they provide and add 2. My guess, early reservation holders just might see their trucks by the end of 2022. Model X was what, 4 years delayed. Model 3, a couple of years. How about all those that placed $50,000 or $250,000 deposits for the Roadster that was due in 2020? Having been a Tesla owner for 9 years now, I've learned, keep expectations VERY LOW to avoid disappointments. I paid for FSD on my past two Tesla's, still waiting for delivery. Already sold one of those cars, so never getting that $$ back. Even Elon admits that his estimated time lines are very optimistic. I have deposits / pre-orders in for the Hummer, Rivian & Cybertruck. First one to deliver gets my money.
While I appreciate your realistic outlook on Tesla's delivery dates, are you really going to go with the first electric truck (regardless of manufacturer) to be delivered? I like the look of the Rivian, but we know nothing about their actual reliability or the vehicle range, their ability to deliver on the specs announced, how effectively they will be able to service their vehicles once they are built or the charging infrastructure availability/how quickly their vehicle will charge. Even when the CT is delivered, I'm not planning to be the first one to jump at finalizing the purchase. Allowing any manufacturer time to work out the kinks in the production and the fit/finish of the vehicle is time well spent, in my book. FWIW, I honestly hope that Rivian puts out a solid offering, Tesla needs a true competitor to keep them on the innovative edge.

Reactions: kayak1
While I appreciate your realistic outlook on Tesla's delivery dates, are you really going to go with the first electric truck (regardless of manufacturer) to be delivered? I like the look of the Rivian, but we know nothing about their actual reliability or the vehicle range, their ability to deliver on the specs announced, how effectively they will be able to service their vehicles once they are built or the charging infrastructure availability/how quickly their vehicle will charge. Even when the CT is delivered, I'm not planning to be the first one to jump at finalizing the purchase. Allowing any manufacturer time to work out the kinks in the production and the fit/finish of the vehicle is time well spent, in my book. FWIW, I honestly hope that Rivian puts out a solid offering, Tesla needs a true competitor to keep them on the innovative edge.
I jumped onto the Tesla bandwagon when they started and happy to have done so. Willing to do the same with Rivian. Tesla, is now tried and true, but is still Tesla. Will always have build quality issues, but I've been fortunate with my Model S's and Model 3's. Just not sure I can ever love the look of the CyberTruck. The Rivan is a clean looking Truck the blends in and has a lot of cool features. The Hummer, is an "in your face" design as it always has been. All three very different, but all three function as light duty trucks with a bed. There's different things to like about each. I can't pick and choose which features I like of each and put them into one vehicle. If the Cybertruck interior is more along the lines of a Model 3 than a Model S, I'll be far less impressed. I love the functionality and features of the Model S over the Model 3. The Hummer & Rivian will certainly offer more "luxury" features. Tesla, simply is not a "luxury" brand. The Hummer is a little bold, but, if it's available first, based on its capabilities, I'd be happy to have it. My first choice is the Rivian, based on more conservative "truck" look and size. Price also isn't bad at all for what you get. Autopilot included. 3.0 0-60. 400 miles range. Tank turn feature. Two screens. Nice interior. Auto frunk, tailgate and tonneau cover. Not oversized. The Cybertruck and Hummer are BIG vehicles. I want a premium Electric Truck with 300 miles+ range capability and a version of Auto Pilot on the highways. I love the look/features of the Hummer. The size (width) is the only thing that gives me pause. Price is notably higher as well. The CyberTruck is Tesla, thus you know what you get. Again, the look is the pause for me on that one. And it's not likely to fit in most garages (very long). While all three are different, all three check my "must have" boxes. Been waiting a long time for one. Will be happy to get my hands on any one of them. So yes, first come, first served. Can always sell and buy the next one if it proves to be better. These things will all hold their value through at least the first year. Also, Rivan's current plan for service is all Mobile, unless an auto lift is needed. Similar to Tesla's mobile service, but will cover most repairs rather than Tesla's more limited mobile service options. Rivian will also offer loaners, like Tesla used to. Likely that GM will do the same for the Hummer, at that price point, but they likely will require dealer visits for repairs. Also, Rivan will pick up the truck if it needs to go to a shop for repairs. Tesla used to do that as well, but no longer does. So Rivian will require no dealer/shop visits from the owner, as will the other two. How long that lasts, to be determined. But, they'll start off like Tesla did and make you feel loved for at least the first few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe and swengl
Tesla needs a true competitor to keep them on the innovative edge.
This is only if beancounters take over Tesla. Until now, with Musk and engineers leading, they've done a pretty good job at self-motivated innovation. Competition only helps if the folks controlling the investment money don't understand what is happening and will only invest if they see competitors.
I'm sorry, but Rivian is going to crash and burn
I hope you're wrong

The starting price is $67,000 - they do not have a supercharger network. A few people will buy them and they will run out of money. I have watched an awful lot of electric vehicle start ups over the years. Tesla did it right with supplying a supercharger network that is second to none. People want a vehicle that can replace their gas vehicle. I have owned several brands of electric vehicles and the only one that can do that is the Tesla and the prices are just getting lower. Unless Rivian can produce a truck in the $40K range, they will not survive.

Brent

Reactions: Hank42
The starting price is $67,000 - they do not have a supercharger network. A few people will buy them and they will run out of money. I have watched an awful lot of electric vehicle start ups over the years. Tesla did it right with supplying a supercharger network that is second to none. People want a vehicle that can replace their gas vehicle. I have owned several brands of electric vehicles and the only one that can do that is the Tesla and the prices are just getting lower. Unless Rivian can produce a truck in the $40K range, they will not survive.

Brent

Or get bought out by GM, Ford or Dodge. They will survive under another name. The charging networks will only start to get better. Tesla is no longer the only show in town, and with Fords F150 Lightning coming, it's only going to get tougher for Tesla.

Reactions: El joe
Or get bought out by GM, Ford or Dodge. They will survive under another name. The charging networks will only start to get better. Tesla is no longer the only show in town, and with Fords F150 Lightning coming, it's only going to get tougher for Tesla.
Or just continue to supply Amazon. The Rivian Adventure Network is a great step for them and I believe they’ll also be able to use CCS as well, so their network will or could be be vast.

You still do not understand - it is ugly and too expensive. Tesla had so many things going for them and they had incredible hurdles to surmount. Also, they were able to get money from other manufacturers for electric credits - this money is drying up (even for Tesla). Somehow, they managed to pull it off. I was watching them with interest when they came out with the Roadster. I thought to myself that finally a company was producing an all-electric vehicle that was highly desirable. Always before, they made econo-bricks that only die-hards would buy. You need to have vehicles that the masses will want. My mother who is in her 70s owns a Tesla Model 3. Yes, Rivian may get bought out, but only a fool would do so. They only look good on paper. They will sell some vehicles to people with deep pockets looking for something different. In the long run, interest will die out because the masses in general will not buy them. All of this, of course, is my own personal opinion, but I have been right about every other all-electric start up so far. I may be proved wrong some day.

Brent

• Disagree
Reactions: strider
You still do not understand - it is ugly and too expensive. Tesla had so many things going for them and they had incredible hurdles to surmount. Also, they were able to get money from other manufacturers for electric credits - this money is drying up (even for Tesla). Somehow, they managed to pull it off. I was watching them with interest when they came out with the Roadster. I thought to myself that finally a company was producing an all-electric vehicle that was highly desirable. Always before, they made econo-bricks that only die-hards would buy. You need to have vehicles that the masses will want. My mother who is in her 70s owns a Tesla Model 3. Yes, Rivian may get bought out, but only a fool would do so. They only look good on paper. They will sell some vehicles to people with deep pockets looking for something different. In the long run, interest will die out because the masses in general will not buy them. All of this, of course, is my own personal opinion, but I have been right about every other all-electric start up so far. I may be proved wrong some day.

Brent

All of this was said about Tesla.

It's not like all other Charging Networks are going to disappear. You underestimate the power of the Big 3.

Reactions: Drax

It's not like all other Charging Networks are going to disappear. You underestimate the power of the Big 3.
You beat me to my reply. Many said the same about Tesla.

At $67,500 for a what you get, it's a great price. Rivian is backed by Amazon and has already delivered many delivery trucks to them. Ford, while they toned down their support, is still a backer. Rivian is set up to succeed and are the only one's thus far to offer a "normal" looking truck. The CyberTruck will appeal to some, but will also be a complete turn off to many. The Hummer is priced too high and is a beast of a vehicle to ever sell in high numbers. The only competitors to Rivian will be whenever Ford or GM release their Electric versions of the F-150 and Sierra Trucks. Rivian should have a 2 year head start to prove itself.

And yes, Tesla's supercharging network was what made EV's a viable alternative for long distance travel for years. However, many companies are building toward EV charging across the country with many in place already. Even today, looking at charger maps, for ANY EV capable of 200+ miles in range, there are already enough high-speed chargers to allow for long distance travel. Plus, Rivian is also going to build out a network of their own, just as Tesla did.

Don't be such a downer Bridor. Competition is GOOD for the consumer. Having a monopoly from one company is never good for the customer.

Rivian will have the same advantages as Tesla did in that they are smaller company that can take more chances. Ford & GM will stick to their strict "by the book" policies. Tesla advanced because they did things their way. Offering Auto Pilot in its early stages, offering unique features and capabilities that most major manufacturers will not. Rivian is using the same playbook that Tesla did, which is great for the consumer. Also, as Tesla did in the beginning, they will treat you like they love you for at least the first few years. I LOVED that about Tesla in the beginning. Sadly, their Customer Service has declined significantly since the early days. Will be nice to get that type of Customer Service again from a new company. It too will likely fade as they become for successful, but the first few years will be very nice.

Rivian has the funding, are very close to production and has all the tools in place to succeed. Looking forward to it, regardless of whether I buy one or not.

You are exactly rIght, T3SLAROD. When I put the down payment on my first tesla in 2011, I heard all that same stuff about it would never happen, never be worth it, it would be a golf cart, too expensive. Rivian does really feel like they have excellent potential to repeat Tesla's success. I agree with you that they face challenges. Time will tell.

This sure makes it appear that Rivian really is close to actual production! If not, that's an awful lot of rear quarter panels goin to waste. And appears that, what you see is what you'll get. Unlikely to make any last minute changes that completely change the look of the vehicle. We still don't know what the final "production" version of the CyberTruck will like once it's made road worthy and meets regulations.

1621229785202.png

+1 month delay.

This sure makes it appear that Rivian really is close to actual production! If not, that's an awful lot of rear quarter panels goin to waste. And appears that, what you see is what you'll get. Unlikely to make any last minute changes that completely change the look of the vehicle. We still don't know what the final "production" version of the CyberTruck will like once it's made road worthy and meets regulations.

View attachment 663051