Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Cybertruck Updates Coming Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla plans to reveal an updated design for the Cybertruck in “a month or so,” Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

Tesla has been giving consideration to the Cybertruck’s hulking proportions, which could prevent the wildly-styled, bulletproof, pickup from fitting into the average suburban garage.

So, there’s a chance the truck could shrink slightly all around. Or, maybe not. Musk seems reluctant to change much, but says the new design is better, featuring many minor tweaks.

“Even the small details matter,” Musk tweeted.

Tesla has more than half a million reservations for the truck, so it will be interesting to hear reactions from consumers who have already shown intent to purchase the Cybertruck.

Tesla plans to build the vehicle at a new factory in Texas, which is currently under construction. The first examples of the the production Cybertruck are expected to roll off the line late next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The starting price is $67,000 - they do not have a supercharger network. A few people will buy them and they will run out of money. I have watched an awful lot of electric vehicle start ups over the years. Tesla did it right with supplying a supercharger network that is second to none. People want a vehicle that can replace their gas vehicle. I have owned several brands of electric vehicles and the only one that can do that is the Tesla and the prices are just getting lower. Unless Rivian can produce a truck in the $40K range, they will not survive.

Brent
This is wrong. First off, Business 101: if you are volume limited, it's better to charge more money than less money. Duh. Rivian should charge more money, not less, if they want to survive.

2nd point, actually Rivian does have its own charging network. It's not as good as Tesla's right now (duh), but they have the money to build it out all the way.

You still do not understand - it is ugly and too expensive. Tesla had so many things going for them and they had incredible hurdles to surmount. Also, they were able to get money from other manufacturers for electric credits - this money is drying up (even for Tesla). Somehow, they managed to pull it off. I was watching them with interest when they came out with the Roadster. I thought to myself that finally a company was producing an all-electric vehicle that was highly desirable. Always before, they made econo-bricks that only die-hards would buy. You need to have vehicles that the masses will want. My mother who is in her 70s owns a Tesla Model 3. Yes, Rivian may get bought out, but only a fool would do so. They only look good on paper. They will sell some vehicles to people with deep pockets looking for something different. In the long run, interest will die out because the masses in general will not buy them. All of this, of course, is my own personal opinion, but I have been right about every other all-electric start up so far. I may be proved wrong some day.

Brent
Wow. Batting 1.000 there are you? Your record is about to be broken. Rivian has done the hardest part which is everything UNDER the skin. I have seen WAY more video of the Rivian in action than the CT. The vehicle WORKS. Changing the sheetmetal is trivial (if that's what the market wants) compared to getting everything else right. I also think the Rivian is ugly but so is the CT. That's the beauty of a market - some people will buy CTs, some Rivians, some Fords, Chevys, etc. There is plenty of room for everyone. Rivian will survive or be bought for a premium. I expect it will be FCA as they are AWOL on the EV front. Though they could pick up Atlis for a lot less once they are further along - I think the Atlis looks like like a Ram anyway.

As for the charging network, this advantage for Tesla will disappear in the next few years. As more EVs are sold, more investment will be made. The latest Federal budget contains a good chunk of money for charging infrastructure.

I predict that at some point, Tesla will convert their SCs to CCS (or dual plug them like in Europe), spin the SC network into a subsidiary, and open the network up to other vehicles.

+1 month delay.
No "next month for sure" and then "in a couple of weeks" and then "by the end of the qtr", and then "before the hollidays" i got tired of waiting for my model Y LR Rwd that was promised by the end of last year, and had to buy what was available. Just placed a CT reservation because of the space and price (really need an SUV but cant beat seating 6 people at that price) and I expect delivery in 2 to 3 years realistically.

All of this was said about Tesla.
Competition is GOOD for the consumer. Having a monopoly from one company is never good for the customer.
What do these points have to do with whether Rivian will succeed?

I, too, am batting 1,000 (actually it was $100,000 on an original Roadster) including scoring an EV1 for 3 years to test out the technology even before that. Whether a company will succeed is a matter of whether they have all the right parts to succeed in their market. All of the early would-be EV manufacturers had various fatal flaws that were clear at the time and history has proven out.
Fisker had a beautiful car but terrible engineering. Their business approach only worked by riding Tesla's tails. Without a good product, they failed.
Miles (later Coda) thought that "build it in China" was what was needed. They promised and delivered an ugly aforementioned econobox, that could only even appeal to the diehard crunchy crowd if it had the right bumper stickers on it. It was destined for and only accomplished failure as well.
Phoenix Motor Cars and Via Motors tried for the engineered production conversion of an ICE pickup. Both relied on government support through selling or avoiding ZEV credits and mandates for government agencies to purchase ZEVs if they were available. From the beginning, counting on the government did not look like a strong strategy. Neither could promise enough volumes to drive battery costs down to achieve any economy of scale. Both failures.
Aptera, Wheego, and Corbin Sparrow thought they could dodge vehicle homologation costs by making 3-wheeled funky-looking econoboxes that count as motorcycles. Similarly, Commuter Cars tried the same by qualifying as a "kit", making the customer put in the last bolt or something on their Tango. As niches within niches, not enough people would buy it at what they would have had to sell it for to make it. All failures. Interestingly, Aptera and the Sparrow are attempting a comeback. Perhaps the drop in battery costs and increase in performance with Li-ion, driven by Tesla have changed the equation enough this time for them to succeed.
Zap focused on trying to sell golf carts as cars. Another fail.
Tesla was very different from the start. They had Design, Engineering, and Business and everyone in the company was onboard with it all.

Don't be such a downer Bridor.
Now, are we trying to bully @Bridor into not sharing his/her insight? How is that helpful?

I hope that Rivian does succeed. Batteries are now more affordable and they have a product that is appealing. My only concern is whether folks will invest in them when they only promise to be another Range Rover toy for the rich. Sure, they'll sell a few trucks but, like Lucid, will never be a big player with huge returns on investments like Tesla's "Secret Master Plan".
I also hope they're delaying release until all is ready. Tesla has been late with essentially everything, however, when they finally did release them, they were awesome.
I'll take awesome late over 'who cares' on time any day.

Reactions: palmer_md
Wow. Batting 1.000 there are you? Your record is about to be broken. Rivian has done the hardest part which is everything UNDER the skin. I have seen WAY more video of the Rivian in action than the CT. The vehicle WORKS. Changing the sheetmetal is trivial (if that's what the market wants) compared to getting everything else right. I also think the Rivian is ugly but so is the CT. That's the beauty of a market - some people will buy CTs, some Rivians, some Fords, Chevys, etc. There is plenty of room for everyone. Rivian will survive or be bought for a premium. I expect it will be FCA as they are AWOL on the EV front. Though they could pick up Atlis for a lot less once they are further along - I think the Atlis looks like like a Ram anyway.

As for the charging network, this advantage for Tesla will disappear in the next few years. As more EVs are sold, more investment will be made. The latest Federal budget contains a good chunk of money for charging infrastructure.

I predict that at some point, Tesla will convert their SCs to CCS (or dual plug them like in Europe), spin the SC network into a subsidiary, and open the network up to other vehicles.
Your point on the feds leaning into building a supercharging network is a good one but it will benefit Tesla as well. I wonder about the upkeep though.. I’ve noticed that some of the other charging stations from ChargePoint, Blink just don’t seem to be well maintained. Most in my area are only delivering L2 speeds and they usually have half a dozen or less stations and any given location. It’s such a big head start with Tesla I just can’t see anyone catching up in the next 5 to 10 years.

Most in my area are only delivering L2 speeds and they usually have half a dozen or less stations and any given location.
And fewer than that actually working. Presently they are pouring a lot of money into installation and very little into maintenance. Understandable, but they need to improve their maintenance capabilities. My fear is that people will start buying into EV’s — Mach-E, Lightning, Hummer, Rivian etc., — and then have such a bad charging experience that they give up on EV’s.

How long before we see what the truck will actually look like. The preproduction trucks. Right now the porotype has no wipers. No side mirrors. With the windshield as big as it is I wonder if it will be hard to defrost? That Dash seams like it has very sharp edges.
I wonder how the battle against the NHTSA is going? (This article is from 2019, but I don't think much has changed) Why Car Designers Are Waging War against Side Mirrors. My concern with no side mirrors: if the camera has issues, will that mean it would be illegal to drive the vehicle and in a vehicle as smart as a Tesla, would the POST (power on self test) procedure *prevent* you from driving if there were issues with the cameras? I know for a fact that if the POST on the AP features fail, AP is disabled so it stands to reason that the same thing would apply to the "virtual side mirror" cameras. Would they need to build in redundancy to prevent this from happening?

Reactions: TessP100D
MY came out ~6 months early. North American VINs for MY are now around 200k. Add 10s of thousands more for the Shanghai built ones. They still not shipping to Europe and waiting for Berlin.

There's no way to hide Austin build-out and it'll up running by the end of this year. I expect CT to come out earlier than expected, but there's a massive backlog to get through before I'm in the picture.

No "next month for sure" and then "in a couple of weeks" and then "by the end of the qtr", and then "before the hollidays" i got tired of waiting for my model Y LR Rwd that was promised by the end of last year, and had to buy what was available. Just placed a CT reservation because of the space and price (really need an SUV but cant beat seating 6 people at that price) and I expect delivery in 2 to 3 years realistically.

Except for MY which is expected to outsell MS, MX, and M3 combined.

CT might give MY a run for its money. I think reservations far surpassed anything else so I think Tesla is taking CT very seriously.

Tesla has been late with essentially everything, however, when they finally did release them, they were awesome.
I'll take awesome late over 'who cares' on time any day.

Price is a huge consideration for me. At $40k, the CT is a great value, although it may not be out for a few years but I can wait. Ford hitting that same price point, lower with credits, makes it just as appealing for a “standard” looking truck and I may get that instead or maybe for my kid.

That is why Rivian is not for me. But I’m sure there are people who will buy them including the Hummers.

After using several charging stations, Tesla still has a big advantage in regards to ease of use and availability. That will eventually change which is what all of us should want or we would all still be riding horses. :)

Reactions: TessP100D
Price is a huge consideration for me. At $40k, the CT is a great value, although it may not be out for a few years but I can wait. Ford hitting that same price point, lower with credits, makes it just as appealing for a “standard” looking truck and I may get that instead or maybe for my kid.

That is why Rivian is not for me. But I’m sure there are people who will buy them including the Hummers.

After using several charging stations, Tesla still has a big advantage in regards to ease of use and availability. That will eventually change which is what all of us should want or we would all still be riding horses. :)

CT will not come in at $40K maybe $43K if we are lucky to even have a base model. I am going to say that the Dual Motor is going to start at $55-60K once the Fed Tax Rebates/incentives are approved. Musk is even saying the price increases for current models had to do with the increase in cost for materials.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Yup. They're literally building a massive factory. People are posting videos of that daily.

Tesla already took people out on test rides during the reveal ~1.5 years ago. Early proto(s) aren't too relevant for the final product, other than marketing and advertising.

Also, the 8k tonne gigapress is supposedly needed for some of the structural components. They've started using the 6k tonne gigapress for MY in Austin so that's a good sign.

We might be seeing CT protos coming out of Fremont as they have a factory and staff with the most manufacturing experience.

How seriously are they taking it when we don’t see any test vehicles out there logging miles?
Until Texas factory done and operational we won't see any Test CT logging miles. There is only one CT exist as of right now.